Houston Zoo | EOS M + Canon 35mm f2 IS + Viltrox .71x Focal reducer

Started by belalkhansocial, February 09, 2022, 06:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belalkhansocial

Shot and edited over the weekend. Been wanting to test out the Canon 35mm f2 IS and see whether or not it would be good for shooting on the M, especially with regards to image stabilization hand held.

Mixed it up with 3x crop to get an additional 100mm+ focal length for tight detail shots.

Shot 1080p MLV RAW
ISO 100 throughout
Aperture kept between f2-4

Cranked up shutter speed to adjust for exposure as needed.

tupp

Nice work!

That lens/focal-reducer combo yields some splendid looks on the EOSM.

The little bit of jitter during the fast pans and high shutter speed might be smoothed with simple motion blur applied to those frames.

Since some of the shots are 3x crop, it would be fitting to post this video in this recently active eoshd.com thread on the EOSM ML crop modes.

ML700D

👍

how do you manage the focus?
I have trouble when moving while using mf 😁
EOS 700D

belalkhansocial

Quote from: tupp on February 10, 2022, 07:24:22 PM
Nice work!

Thanks! much appreciated!

That lens/focal-reducer combo yields some splendid looks on the EOSM.

Indeed it is.

The little bit of jitter during the fast pans and high shutter speed might be smoothed with simple motion blur applied to those frames.

How would I go about adding motion blur that doesn't look weird? Any suggested tutorials?

Since some of the shots are 3x crop, it would be fitting to post this video in this recently active eoshd.com thread on the EOSM ML crop modes.

Thanks for the tip. Posted!

belalkhansocial

Quote from: ML700D on February 11, 2022, 02:32:30 AM
👍

how do you manage the focus?
I have trouble when moving while using mf 😁

It seemed pretty straight forward. For selfie shots, I made a note of the distance scale on the lens, so I'd just focus to that when I needed to point the camera at myself.

All other instances, I'd simply let my attention dictate where to turn the focus ring to. If ever I wasn't sure if I caught focus, I'd jump to 3x to make sure.

The focus ring on this lens is smooth and dampened, which makes the experience real smooth.

ML700D

EOS 700D

Frayfray

35mm f 2.0 not good for aps c sensor it is hardly a good focal lens for full frame sensor , its a uphill battle from there with ml crop walking around with telephoto and shooting video ??? i am not trying to be negative but composition is very important if your using crop senor camera you almost always have to go wide but not full frame wide.that is why most high end zoom start even wider than 35mm  it is a very common mistake that happens investing in a fast lens that was made for full frame camera but trying to use on crop sensor and when you mix ml crop on top not a very good look.i am sure you have seen zeeks videos covering eosm with wider lenses (shout out to zeek yeye ) you would have been better off if you used wide zoom like efs 10-18mm IS , and it would not have mattered that it is a slower lens because its outside. bokeh is  a good look but you have to learn to mange it and its not easy when walking around and not using a nd filter ,tripod. so that 35 mm lens would be good for portrait or sports you have to treat it like a telephoto lens or portrait lens because of the crop factors.i hope this helps you plan your next video and think ahead what your shooting and what you need to get it done tripod filters lens etc. 

belalkhansocial

Quote from: Frayfray on February 11, 2022, 01:19:01 PM
35mm f 2.0 not good for aps c sensor it is hardly a good focal lens for full frame sensor , its a uphill battle from there with ml crop walking around with telephoto and shooting video ???

uff! I'm gonna have to agree to strongly disagree with you on this.

i am not trying to be negative but composition is very important if your using crop senor camera you almost always have to go wide but not full frame wide.

Composition is important, regardless of whether you're on full frame of crop sensor. The sensor size in this context is irrelevant. I'd argue that composing an image in wider angles is notably more challenging than in tighter focal lengths.

that is why most high end zoom start even wider than 35mm  it is a very common mistake that happens investing in a fast lens that was made for full frame camera but trying to use on crop sensor and when you mix ml crop on top not a very good look.

In my humble opinion, almost all high end standard zooms perform terribly at the wide end. There's always always - for me at least - undesired noticeable barrel distortion at the wide, and typically lack any sort of image stabilization. If you do get a lens with image stabilization (a feature I want in lenses paired with EOS ML since I refuse to take a gimbal or tripod for the sake of mobility) the cost + weight starts getting packed on.

However, I feel like we're comparing apples and oranges - zooms and primes. Personally, I'd always opt for a prime over zoom, simply due to size and weight.

i am sure you have seen zeeks videos covering eosm with wider lenses (shout out to zeek yeye ) you would have been better off if you used wide zoom like efs 10-18mm IS , and it would not have mattered that it is a slower lens because its outside. bokeh is  a good look but you have to learn to mange it and its not easy when walking around and not using a nd filter ,tripod. so that 35 mm lens would be good for portrait or sports you have to treat it like a telephoto lens or portrait lens because of the crop factors.

(I love Zeek!)

RE wide angle vs telephoto - it really comes down to what you're looking for, which ultimately depends on the type of video you wanna shoot and the focal length you'd associate with that.

An ultra wide angle lens, in my experience are great for for capturing action. This was shot on the Canon 10-22 for example:

And this was shot on the Tokina 11-16 f2.8:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOBohfmt-I8

However, what you gain in field of view, you loose in close up isolated and sometimes intimate detail.

My natural reaction was to then go with a tighter lens (50mm f1.4), as shone here:

I got details, expressions, etc - but then I was missing out on the wider action.

If you want both while generally keeping your setup light and still having fast prime lenses, you'll end up swapping in and out between two lenses like demonstrated here:

Personally though, I don't like to be swapping lenses.

So, naturally, I considered a zoom. In this example the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS:

The problem here though is - once the sun went down, I needed to swap out to a faster (not image stabilized Sigma 18-35mm f1.8) lens.

I anticipated that situation, but I'd rather not have to pack an additional lens in most situations.

One of my favorite go-to lenses had been the Canon EF-M 22mm f2 (which is essentially a 35mm in field of view on full frame).

In my experience, it was a great storytelling focal length. It's wide enough to show context while not distorting the image. And, it's tight enough to get close when details are desired. The only thing that lens lacked was image stabilization.

I gifted that lens to my brother when he purchased his Canon M50. So, I found myself looking for a replacement. One that was light, and portable. While also having image stabilization.

The canon 35mm f2 IS, when paired with a focal reducer on a crop sensor ends up giving you close to 40mm field of view, which isn't that much different than 35mm.

Pairing that with the EOS M, while also getting 3x crop mode, lends me a lens that essentially 40mm + ~120mm which has been fantastic.

i hope this helps you plan your next video and think ahead what your shooting and what you need to get it done tripod filters lens etc.

I appreciate the feedback!

tupp

Quote from: belalkhansocial on February 11, 2022, 04:07:45 AM
How would I go about adding motion blur that doesn't look weird? Any suggested tutorials?

I found this motion blur tutorial for Resolve, and this video shows a few ways to apply motion blur in Premiere Pro.
No doubt, similar motion blur methods can be used in other NLE's and compositors, and I am fairly sure that there are special plugins and stand-alone programs available that do the same.

Quote from: belalkhansocial on February 11, 2022, 04:07:45 AM
Thanks for the tip. Posted!

Thank you for inspiring us with your work!

tupp

35mm f 2.0 not good for aps c sensor it is hardly a good focal lens for full frame sensor , its a uphill battle from there with ml crop walking around with telephoto and shooting video ??? i am not trying to be negative but composition is very important if your using crop senor camera you almost always have to go wide but not full frame wide.that is why most high end zoom start even wider than 35mm  it is a very common mistake that happens investing in a fast lens that was made for full frame camera but trying to use on crop sensor and when you mix ml crop on top not a very good look.

It's probably unnecessary to reiterate, but OP used a focal reducer (speedbooster) with his 35mm lens.  So, with APS-C crop he was getting around a 40mm full frame equivalent view, and with 3x crop he was getting around a 75mm full frame equivalent view (similar to a full frame "portrait" lens).

Frayfray

don't get me wrong i own many 35mm lenses  and i use it on a 3 camera set up for b cam in fact i just did a wedding on eos m no ml to much crop but it is hard lens i find for main camera and i do lots of shooting outside vlog style for that efs or efm wide zooms are the best i like the fried chicken video it just looks right with that lens thank you for sharing your videos .