MLVapp - Resolve hybrid video

Started by 70MM13, February 05, 2022, 01:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70MM13

timbytheriver suggested I should try using mlvapp to do basic exposure and colour temperature adjustments and then use the arri preset to export for editing and final grading in resolve in arri log c (using the CST plugin).

I gave it a shot for this music video and I'm hooked!  The fantastic mlvapp colours make it into resolve!

Shot in 14 bit raw on my trusty old 5d3 @ 3616*1536 using card spanning and overclock. (except the cellphone footage of the guitars!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3-6cUuVTL0

ML700D

nice! 👍

I like to use arri preset profile  :D

EOS 700D

IDA_ML

Excellent!  This video is a nice demonstration on how well MLVApp and Resolve work together.

I use a very similar workflow - all corrections in MLVApp using the "Alexa Wide Gamut RGB" profile with "Allow Creative Adjustments" checked.  Then I export to ProRes 422LT which is pretty fast and then I do all the editing in Resolve.  I that way I preserve maximum color information and finest detail and ProRes files play very smoothly in Resolve even on my 9-year old laptop.  Works very well with 1280x2160/12bit/24fps footage from the EOS-M and also with 4k anamorphic footage from the 5D3.  I like this workflow not only because it is easy and fast but also because for me this is the best way to get very natural skin tones which in MLVApp is achieved with just one mouse click.  I never get satisfactory results with that in Resolve - I am not good at that.  Also, in MLVApp I get much better results with difficult high-contrast scenes, such as sunsets, compared to Resolve.  I am not good at that in Resolve either.   And finally, MLVApp is the only solution to processing Dual ISO footage which is my favorite for high-contrast scenes shot in the anamorphic mode.  Overall, I am very happy with the above workflow.

ML700D

try this lut.. (this is my secret sauce, don't tell to anybody  :D)

cine709.cube https://drive.google.com/file/d/17WvCXyokfoYNrWS4EgdUg30YYVWTsbGA/view?usp=sharing

use any log profile (arri, slog3 or cineon log) preset then enable lut (adjust strength if needed), then adjust in post for color grading. (e.g resolve or premiere)

alexa log profile

lut enable to cine709.cube

EOS 700D

ML700D

EOS 700D

ML700D

EOS 700D