16x9 4k ambient video

Started by 70MM13, November 29, 2021, 12:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70MM13

This seems to be the limit of what can be done with the 5d3.
I'd like to try the sensor calibration that has been stalled for years, and I'm willing to risk frying my sensor!
(remastered)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05_vPCkJLmY

ML700D

EOS 700D

IDA_ML

Very nice idea, professionally realized, as always.  Just don't fry your sensor.  You are going to need it!

70MM13

thanks to you both!
i'm slowing down with using the camera lately so it's not a huge loss to me if i fry it, but we'll see ;)
i've been thinking it over, and i am not sure if calibration would actually fix the last issue that i'm facing: the ugly vertical "scratches" in the darkest shadows when pushed very high in post.  it might help a bit, but i am not sure if it would make a real useful improvement.
i'm thinking about an approach to fix this...

IDA_ML

70MM13,

Your videos are extremely clean and you seem to be an expert in sqeezing the last bit of sensor performance out of your 5D3 at very low light.  Sensor calibration is usually about color and I don't think it can fix any vertical scratches or other artefacts.  Canon is notorious for its natural colors and you probably will only make things worse.  In my opinion, you will be better off if you try Dual ISO, dark frame subtraction or other techniques for noise reduction, so you don't have to push your shadows that hard.  Just my 2 cents.

70MM13

thanks for the compliment!
timbytheriver helped make it possible, and we continue to improve our joint effort.
i tried those other options you suggested long ago and both create more problems than they solve in my experience...

i remastered the video after making a different processing technique, pushing it even harder and it didn't break!  it really shows in the studio scenes where my face is visible.

updated top post link.

ArcziPL

Quote from: IDA_ML on November 30, 2021, 07:01:23 PMSensor calibration is usually about color and I don't think it can fix any vertical scratches or other artefacts.
I believe it's quite the opposite.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23086.0
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

IDA_ML

ArcziPL,

I hope you are right but for whatever reason that thread didn't get very far.  I will be looking forward to 70MM13' results.  Hopefully, he does not fry his sensor.