Time lapse of a construction site

Started by H108, November 29, 2021, 07:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H108

Hi,

I'm a newbie to Magic Lantern and looking for a way to set my 550D with Magic Lantern FW to do a time lapse of a construction site over about 12 months. I need to take a photo each day. I would use manual focus, manual white balance and preset zoom with camera set on tripod mounted on a plate.

Due to the long period of shooting I would need the camera to power OFF after each shot and again ON for the next shot. I was searching for the information on this forum but couldn't find instructions how to do it.

If I'm right, I could use Intervaloter and set the time between each shot 24 hours but how to control the powering camera OFF and ON? Any helpful information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hannu

Walter Schulz

You can do this without Magic Lantern: Use a dummy battery and a hardware timer with 2 relais.
Timer will switch on power (via dummy battery) and - shortly after - triggering camera via remote trigger. Then powering off by disconnecting power from dummy battery again.

H108

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't know about relays and don't have any. Do you have any linker me to learn to understand this?

Otherwise, is there a way to do with what I already have, that is, a 550D with ML firmware, a lens and an AC adapter.

Thanks.

Walter Schulz

No. You cannot do that with ML.
Contact a local MakerSpace/FabLab or ask around for someone able to deal with electronics/timers/relays.

H108

Quote from: Walter Schulz on December 01, 2021, 03:59:04 PM
No. You cannot do that with ML.
Contact a local MakerSpace/FabLab or ask around for someone able to deal with electronics/timers/relays.

I found this on our forum:

"Tip: with an external power adapter, if the power switch is left to "ON", ML intervalometer will auto-start at camera startup, so I had no trouble with power outages during my timelapse attempts (the longest one was for 2 or 3 days)."

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23346.msg211179#msg211179

Is this true?

Walter Schulz

Sure, what can he possibly gain from lying?