EOS 60D Dead

Started by bilbs84, November 01, 2021, 10:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bilbs84

Hi, seems i'm in need of some help/advice.

I had ML working on a EOS 60D, and had been working fine.  I was getting ready to set up for a night of imaging, and was making sure that my capture software was working, and after a couple of test exposures in bulb mode, the camera seemed to be frozen.  I removed the battery, then reinserted it, but nothing, I tried without the memory card, i tried with a fresh card, I just get nothing.

I've followed the advice of trying all the mode dial settings, with/without lenses, tried different batteries, none of it works.  If i place the card with ML in, the LED blinks, but that is it.  I tried the Display test from the debug tools, and that shows some information on the screen, I tried the ROM dumper, but that says that it was unable to mount the partition, The format of the MBR was unrecognised.

What do I need to do now?

I'm freaking out, I only just bought this camera.

Walter Schulz

Mount error most likely caused by card size/file system. You should use a small card (or a big one with a small partition) and you cannot use ExFAT.

Best you start with a fresh card. Pure SD (2 GB or lower) would be best but SDHC should work, too.
Format card using a cardreader.
Are you on Windows or macOS?
On Windows: Prepare card with EOScard utility. Check card content. If there are files and/or directories on it: Delete all. Copy extracted nightly build content to card.
Remove battery, insert card and battery. Close compartment doors and try to power up camera.

On macOS: Use MacBoot or makebootable.sh to create a bootable disk. Copy extracted nightly build content to card.
Remove battery, insert card and battery. Close compartment doors and try to power up camera.

Report back.

bilbs84

Ill have to head to the store in the morning and see if I can find a suitable card.  I do have to ROM available from the card that was in the camera at the time of it freezing.  I'm not sure if that would be useful, and I also made sure to keep the original ROM from when I installed ML in the first place.

So am I assuming that the message about the MBR is related to that of the memory card?  And not the camera, so there MAY be hope for this thing still.

In the mean time, I partitioned one of the cards to 2GB, then formatted it FAT32, and then tried the ROM dumper again, and it worked, so I also have the 2 dumps from that available to help debug.

Thanks for taking the time to help

Walter Schulz

Now take "ROM dumper" card and rename autoexec.bin to autoexec.dump. Copy extracted nightly build content to card and retry to start cam with this card.

bilbs84

Still no luck.

Insert card, close card door, insert battery and close door, LED flashes once, then still nothing, no LCD, no top screen, no viewfinder, no response still.

What's the next item to tick off the list?

Walter Schulz

I suppose you have already tried to start in C mode, right?

Then we reached the point for the doctor (a1ex) to take over. I'm done here. Unfortunately a1ex hasn't been online for some time.
Don't know if there are other devs able to debug Digic 4 stuff on this level. Reviving semi-bricked cams was just a1ex' thing.

bilbs84

Thanks anyway.

I guess I'll just head to eBay, my tail between my legs lol.

In the meantime, if alex does manage to get me up and running again, then at least I'll have a spare body to astro mod.

I guess one has to search for the bright side of things.

bilbs84

So just wondering, is it possible to flash the saved ROMs from when ML was installed.  Would that even be a possible solution?

I assume that they get saved, and it's advised to keep them safe for a reason.

I'm not sure what data is actually in them, like shotting settings etc, but I know the checksum is different from them to the ones that the Rom Dumper was able to extract.

names_are_hard

Yes, one of the reasons for saving the roms is that in *some* situations, flashing back some data (e.g., known good cam settings) can help.  However, I have no experience of how to tell when this should be done, and I don't know precisely how to do it.  I know roughly how, in theory... I have no practice at this and don't want to try it blind on someone else's camera and make the problem worse.

Also - the failure may be entirely unrelated to the roms or ML (this has been true for most people reporting dead cams).  Your cam is getting far enough in the boot process that diagnostics and logging is the right next step.  It could be that something physical died, e.g. the power switch.

kitor

bilbs84 - please send me recent dump on PM (not in public!). I'll try to check them in QEMU.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

kitor

Hello,
bad news: roms (all three sets received: original from ML install, just after crash and recent dump) boot fine in QEMU:

DM log stored in rom didn't change since original dump. It has ERR5 crash logged, but this was in 2019.

Symptoms may indicate everything from broken power switch (portable rom dumper ignores this) to other hardware issue.

Best case would be to try UART access, but this requires some electronics skills. Camera has something definitely to say on UART if led blinks.

Please try to boot with autoexec: Alex posted in this thread. If it shows anything on screen, record it.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.