Canon 5DIII and Rokinon 35mm T1.5

Started by trapshitkalci, October 18, 2021, 12:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapshitkalci

Workflow:

Magic Lantern  Danne's bulid.
5DIII 1.13
Color Space within Canon Camera Menu : Adobe RGB ( maybe should have chosen sRGB becaue its closer to REC.709 ? What do you think? )
Resolution only 1920×872 due to my slow CF card (120 mb/s) At least no crop.

1. CinemaDNG uncompressed output from MLV App
2. Imported into Davinci Resolve 17

3. Davinci Project settings :
- Color Science  Davinci YRGB
- Timeline color space REC 709

4. Camera RAWcolor settings
- Color Space : REC.709
- Color Gamut : REC.709

5. Color Corrected, and changed the Hue from 50.00 to 57.00
6. Exported as a h.264 (8bit)  file from Davinci

5D MK3 1.1.3 and Danne's latest build with Sandisk Extreme CF card (120mb/sec reading speed, writing is less of course), 60D Nightly Build

IDA_ML

Try the anamorphic 1920x2340 mode at 10bits lossless and 24 fps and compare results with your footage above.  You will be very pleasantly surprised.

trapshitkalci

As soon as I buy a faster CF and an SD and enable Card Spanning and 160Mhz I will try :) Thanks
5D MK3 1.1.3 and Danne's latest build with Sandisk Extreme CF card (120mb/sec reading speed, writing is less of course), 60D Nightly Build

IDA_ML

Quote from: trapshitkalci on October 18, 2021, 05:47:43 PM
As soon as I buy a faster CF and an SD and enable Card Spanning and 160Mhz I will try :) Thanks

This is not really necessary.  Also with your slow card you can have at least several seconds recording time, even without spanning.  This will be enough to make a comparison.  Alternatively, you can slightly decrease the resolution until you get continuous recording.

trapshitkalci

Uhh thank you so much :)
You are right.
I am able to shoot 4,2K videos continuosly in anamorphic mode with my SanDisk Extreme(120mb/s) card.

Aspect Ratio : 2,20:1
Resolution in ML menu: 1408x1920
23.976fps
CinemaDNG Uncompressed from MLVapp streched out in Davinci Resolve to 4224x1920.

IDA_ML

Glad it worked for you.  These slower cards are much cheaper than the 1066x ones.  You may also try the 16:9 ratio 4k resolution, (1280x2160).  To my taste it looks better without the black bars on the screen and also provides a more pleasing framing and composition.  You can still use card spanning if you need even wider angle of view and more resolution.  How did you like the fine detail rendering compared to your initial video?

trapshitkalci

I prefer wider screen videos but I tried now the 1.85:1 with which I was close to DCI 4096x2160
I went with 1376x2230 and after desqueezing it to 4128x2230 this is the result shot. (I will create a whole vidoe soon)

I think next time I will switch back to 2,20:1 because that was more cinematic but still a good compromise between super widescreen and normal 16:9

trapshitkalci

Test shot again with the Extreme 120mb/sec card
Anamorphic
Aspect Ratio : 2,20:1
Continous recording in the resolution 1600x2128 -  after desquezzing it its 4.8K

Sensor Condition : When I got to the location the sensor tempreture was 25Celsius. My card is 64Gb and it was enough to shoot more then 12 min. continously. When card was full and changed it to an identical(64GB Sandisk Extreme 120mb/s) the sensor temperature was already 36Celsius and this kept me from being able to shoot coninously onward.

This time I used a rokinon 24mm around T7.1 but as you see its very far from a sharp image.
I graded it in Davinci. Havent spent much time with it I know.....
Tommorrow I will go back to the same spot in the hope of making it much better. We willl see how the weather gonna look like and how much closer I am going to get.

Should I have been upscaled it to 5k ? Because as you see it only shows 4K now.

trapshitkalci

unsqueezed : 4128x2230
1.85:1
Sharpness pulled up in Davinci to 45.00  let me know what do you think about th sharpness now.

Fast edit.

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: trapshitkalci on November 03, 2021, 10:25:40 AM
unsqueezed : 4128x2230
1.85:1
Sharpness pulled up in Davinci to 45.00  let me know what do you think about th sharpness now.

Can't really comment on this. The contrast looks a little bit high but the actual sharpness isn't here.
Maybe your lens is soft.
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

trapshitkalci

thanks for the feedback. Yeah you must be right about the lens and its softness and about the actual contrast too I believe.

trapshitkalci

IDA_ML

I also think that your lens is the problem.  Maybe it needs some adjustment.  You can check if that is true by the following experiment. Select a well lit wide angle landscape scene with a lot of fine detail, put your camera on a tripod, focus precisely using the manual focus ring at magnified Lifeview, stop the lens down to say F8 and film some footage at your 4128x2230 resolution.  Then, without moving the camera and  touching anything on the lens, take a CR2 still of the same scene.  Then crop the center part of the CR2 file to about 4128x2230 size, export a frame grab from your footage using MLVApp and compare both frames at 100% magnification using a viewing software such as FastStone Image Viewer (free, google it).  If there is no noticeable difference in sharpness, then obviously, the lens is to blame.  In that case, repeat the same experiment with another sharp lens and compare the results.  The 5DIII provides extremely sharp footage in the above anamorphic mode.

trapshitkalci

Thank you.
The weird thing is I use almost every time the Magnifiied Liveview.
Both my Rokinon lenses would suffer the same issue ? Because as you see it appers on every shot, and I used 24mm and 35mm T1.5 here.
But will do the comparison that you suggested(CR2 vs Raw)
I have a Tokina 11-16mm lens well I will experiment with that also.

IDA_ML

Quote from: trapshitkalci on November 05, 2021, 07:56:32 PM
The weird thing is I use almost every time the Magnifiied Liveview.

What do you mean by that?  Do you film at 5x magnification in the anamorphic 4128x2230 mode?  If yes, that explains your results.  In that case you are cropping just a small central part of the sensor area and the camera films 1x1 at some very low resolution.  I don't have the exact numbers since I don't have the 5D3 here but if you blow up this low-res image to full screen it is quite obvious that you will get a soft image.  Open your footage in MLVApp, press the "i" button and check your resolution.  It should say 1376x2230.  If it is much lower than that, then you have filmed at 5x magnification.  You should use the Magnifiied Liveview only for focusing and not for filming!

trapshitkalci

Yeah I meant that I use magnification to focus to the right field every time before pushing onto the REC button. So I don't shoot with magnification, my res. is allright

trapshitkalci

2:35:1
handheld shots.
F11 every shot here
Used lenses : GMC admiral 28mm F2.5 - provides a little bit more sharpness I believe
                    Rokinon 24MM T1.5

IDA_ML

In terms of sharpness this looks much better now.  You should try a really sharp lens such as the EF 28/2,8 IS to compare and see what I am talking about.

ML700D

Quote from: trapshitkalci on November 11, 2021, 06:48:39 PM
2:35:1
handheld shots.
F11 every shot here
Used lenses : GMC admiral 28mm F2.5 - provides a little bit more sharpness I believe
                    Rokinon 24MM T1.5

nice footage.. I think it's a bit excess in color but that's depend on taste actually.
EOS 700D