Can someone donate a 100D for implementation of the latest ML developments?

Started by IDA_ML, September 25, 2021, 08:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDA_ML

Hello all,

I guess, most of you are aware of the latest ML developments on the 700D/650D which our developer TheBilalFakhouri has turned into powerful raw video cameras thanks to his work based on the invalueable work and help of other lead developers:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25784.0

There is another camera that is almost identical to the above two models and also has the overclockable 41 MB/s SD-card interface but has not received an update for more than two years now.  This camera is the EOS 100D.  It is a pitty because the 100D is the lightest (400 g) and smallest DSLR ever made, is very powerful and is perfect for travel and gimbal work.  Personally, I also have the EOS-M which is even lighter.  However, when traveling, I much prefer the 100D since, apart from video, I also shoot a lot of stills and street photography and cannot live without the optical view finder, especially in bright sun shine.  Here is a recent video which reveals the excellent performamce of the 100D for filming low-light raw video:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26245.msg236819;topicseen#msg236819

A while ago, I talked to Danne about a possible ML update and he was of the opinion that implementing the latest 700D/650D developments into the 100D should be fairly easy and should not take an experienced developer more than a few days of work.  Then I decided to talk to TheBilalFakhouri and he also confirmed that getting the 100D updated shouldn't be that hard.  He also said that he would be glad to do the work and add the 100D to his list of supported cameras, however, he must have a working 100D in his hands to complete the job successfully, (based on failed attempts to work on the 100D remotely).  Unfortunately, the 100D is not popular in his country and it can be impossible to lend (or get) one.  That is why, on behalf of those who still use the good old 100D, I am asking for help.

If there is someone on the forum who has a working 100D that he/she does not use any more and would be willing to donate to TheBilalFakhouri for the above update, please contact him with a personal message and he will suggest how to get the camera to him.  In my opinion, this would be the only way to breath new life into this fantastic camera.  Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Walter Schulz

Just formalities:
Are all custom/shipping related questions answered? Which limits apply? Are calculations for gifts based on original MRSP or recent market prices for used items (no bill included = custom authorities may estimate on their own?).

In the past forum members formed a fund to enable dev to buy on its own because of such traps.

At the moment an used 100D/SL1 in mint condition is available via a Germany-based forum for around 180 Euro. 18-55 included which makes price reasonable.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 25, 2021, 08:52:36 PM
Just formalities:
Formalities always exist.  However, if someone living in Europe, travels to the developer's country and brings the camera over as a personal item, wouldn't that be a perfectly legal solution?  We are talking about a cheap used camera for less than a couple of hundred Euro here and not a truck load of cameras.  Indeed, the forum member fund would be another working solution.

Welles

This is a great idea. I am using my 100D at the moment, but I am willing to help fund to buy a used one.
100D.100B / EF-S 10-18mm IS STM / EF-S 18-55mm IS STM / EF-S 55-250 mm IS II / EF 40mm STM

IDA_ML

Quote from: Welles on September 26, 2021, 12:38:12 PM
This is a great idea. I am using my 100D at the moment, but I am willing to help fund to buy a used one.

Thanks a lot, Welles,

As far as I know, only bitcoin donations are accepted but I may be wrong:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=24300.msg218424#msg218424

Walter Schulz

You are mixing up things:

There is an "official" bitcoin wallet where people can spend virtual money to ML project. Donor are unable to have a say in how or even if money is spend. It is totally up to wallet owner.

What I'm talking about is a privately organized "one-shot" (=time limited) fund where money ("real" currency only) is collected for a very specific and singular cause.
ML community had such actions in the past for various items.

theBilalFakhouri

I have the inspiration to work on 100D, since it's also share a lot of similarities with 650D/700D, 1x3 mode and x5 expanded preview already proved to work (which means it's easy to port 100D to my custom build, with high chance of success).

If there a 100D user who is willing to contribute and port 100D to my builds, I can help (beside there are many helpful guide in the forum), it's only matter of using current code and fine-tune it for 100D, you need some basic understanding for C lang, ML code and how things works together.

Back to the topic, I can accept donations for X model as long as I have inspiration and willing power to work on it.

In general it seems difficult to find one 100D donor (even if we found one, forward steps could be more complex to donor and to me), better idea to collect small amounts of donations from multiple 100D users who are interested to see 100D support in my builds, at this time of writing running a personal donation address isn't a clear step to make (will give you updates once it's cleared)

Well, for users who are willing to donate for 100D body, I made survey to get some statistics, you can go through it from here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1REiDli8lOOIAFKMJwPLoW5YKSm1b5Y1CziCRikGIT6A/

No gmail sign in required, please run through this survey once per user.

Currently I have no idea how much 100D would cost, used 700D with 18-55 is being sold for ~315-400 USD , used 600D with 18-55 for ~250-285 (no idea for 100D price here, will do a search, it's probably ~300-350 USD or same as 700D), it's hard to find here a camera body alone for sale without a kit lens.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 26, 2021, 03:10:31 PM
What I'm talking about is a privately organized "one-shot" (=time limited) fund where money ("real" currency only) is collected for a very specific and singular cause.
ML community had such actions in the past for various items.

Thanks for this clarification.  I was not aware of that.

iliush

I am interested for 100d development too. I can donate the 1/7 part from 350 dollars via Google forms, so it's place for another 6 donation to rich the that amount, or meybe is someone more rich than me 🙂. Who is in?
Thanks theBilalFakhouri for the work and support.

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Danne

Quote from: nikfreak on September 28, 2021, 03:39:44 PM
100D is identical to 700d. What's the main problem?
I say it´s close but there are quirks to account for. Smaller changes mostly but still needs some time tinkering. Anyway, knowing you ported the cam you could probably port later 700D code into the 100D much faster than me who has no time at all atm ;).

nikfreak

:D I like recent developments with custom builds but to stay ontopic, I guess there's no branch to follow any commit / PR to see whatever misses or has changed in recent months? Very busy actually over here with real life...

Danne

Tempted as I am to collect sources from latest developments me too lacks the time but I leave for the threadstarter to assemble all code needed from various posts  8).

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: nikfreak on September 28, 2021, 03:39:44 PM
100D is identical to 700d. What's the main problem?

100D ≠ 700D, 650D = 700D, that's why 650D worked out of the box without any further modifications in source code and 100D didn't.

100D is very similar to 700D, almost identical, as Danne said 100D has its own quirks.

100D users:
There was a discussion on Discord with some of ML team regarding posting private donation address, things still unclear and heading towards to stay away from involving money in ML project due to legal concerns.
The only solution for these concerns is to have legal protection. (there is no progress currently in this step, it may take months/years)

But it seems accepting funds donations outside official ML platform might be okay.
100D body donation is still valid here.

Don't forget this: ;)

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on September 26, 2021, 03:36:40 PM
If there a 100D user who is willing to contribute and port 100D to my builds, I can help (beside there are many helpful guides in the forum), it's only matter of using current code and fine-tune it for 100D, you need some basic understanding for C lang, ML code and how things works together.

Walter Schulz

theBilalFakhouri

Um ...

Well, it was a nice work for sure ;D

I took also a look into some 100D registers which control RAW resolution, it had some little differences compared to 650D/700D, preview registers are identical between the three cams, that is why I said 100D is almost identical to 700D :D

nikfreak

I see no problem in donations. I just wanted to point out that it's important to have your work documented online with all commits step by step and not in a single commit / file. Chances are high this doesn't get implemented otherwise (whenever that might even be). So just keep that in mind. Donations to buy a 100D for Bilal are welcome.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: nikfreak on September 29, 2021, 01:31:46 PM
I just wanted to point out that it's important to have your work documented online with all commits step by step and not in a single commit / file. Chances are high this doesn't get implemented otherwise (whenever that might even be).

I have my source code in this post, if you open it in SourceTree you will find that every commit has a clear comment about what I did.

Nothing complex there, my builds are combination of crop_rec presets (many guides are there since 2018 about how to change RAW resolution, FPS timers, CMOS, ADTG related registers), in addition to Preview registers which are well documented in LiveView Investigation (beside there is no need to touch Preview registers anyway for 100D because it's identical to 700D)

To port 100D to 650D/700D builds you might just need to fine-tune RAW resolution registers and its related registers (it might be there other tweaks needed, no idea).

Quote from: nikfreak on September 29, 2021, 01:31:46 PM
I see no problem in donations.

Some of ML team sees no problem to donations too including me, but some of ML team do see a problem . . can't make a clear choice to accept money donations here.

2blackbar

Just make it anonymous or less official, setup donations link and let it be, if nobody is sure if someone donated or not, theres no issue of breaking the law, if donations will reach the goal then just post message about acquiring the cam, doesnt matter when and how it was obtained.
Everyone donating has to accept the fact that he wont be acknowledged and mentioned for donating and thats it.
Not accepting donations is mostly a legal issue.Or moral in some exceptions.
Anyway i doubt that canon cares about this cam , its almost 10 years old and it wont hurt their sales.

IDA_ML

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on September 29, 2021, 02:55:29 PM
Some of ML team sees no problem to donations too including me, but some of ML team do see a problem . . can't make a clear choice to accept money donations here.

Bilal,

How about the second option - someone from Europe donating a used 100D and sending it to someone who travels to your country and would be willing to bring it over to you?  This would eliminate the problem with money donations, especially now that an application for fiscal hosting is still running.  Isn't this more realistic?   

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: IDA_ML on September 29, 2021, 06:22:13 PM
Bilal,

How about the second option - someone from Europe donating a used 100D and sending it to someone who travels to your country and would be willing to bring it over to you?  This would eliminate the problem with money donations, especially now that an application for fiscal hosting is still running.  Isn't this more realistic?   

This option is still valid yes, but could be difficult to find single 100D donor, even after we found one we need to deal with shipping, finding a passenger nowadays is quite difficult too, anyway this option is still available if someone is interested PM me.

Progress for fiscal hosting application is stopped currently, this shouldn't be a problem now.

@2blackbar
I am considering such a steps :)

Quote from: 2blackbar on September 29, 2021, 05:58:05 PM
Anyway i doubt that canon cares about this cam , its almost 10 years old and it wont hurt their sales.

Yeah, implementing 1x3 with real-time correct preview presets to 100D won't flip the market, and won't make users buy 100D over R3 :D

theBilalFakhouri

Little updates:

I found used 100D with 18-55 locally a week ago for 343 USD (it was sold), getting 100D won't be a problem, I can get it from China (I might find another cheaper stores in China which has used 100D, keep in mind there is a shipping cost too).

Current statics from above survey, people who are willing to donate are four, 3 chose *PayPal and one chose Crypto, total offered donations are 85 USD at the time of writing this reply (beside I can donate 30 USD).

*Running PayPal account won't be an option (hard, not supported in my country, friends couldn't help). Preferred payment method is Crypto.
For people who chose PayPal, I am not sure if you can donate in Crypto.

If someone is interested to donate please get in touch with me via PM in the forum or Reddit or Discord (@thebilalfakhouri).

2blackbar

ill donate 20$ by paypal but i dont own 100D, i like the idea tho.
Where?
Maybe find a reliable dude who can accept paypal donations, so he will buy the cam in your country for you on ebay or somethin

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks, as I said PayPal donations are not possible. if there is trusted dude to handle them I don't mind (PM me).

Shipping from EU/US is quite expensive, eBay/Amazon aren't supported here. Best choice to me is buying and shipping from China if I didn't find the camera locally.

There is an option for people who chose PayPal but you need to do some research, the option is to buy a Crypto with PayPal (maybe on Coinbase, there are many other platforms if you know better one), I don't know what kind of fees you will face, also Crypocurrecny withdrawals fees can change from coin to coin and from platform to platform, so no idea what the best platform to exchange.

You can buy Crypto, in particular USDT coin which has fixed coin price (1 USDT = 1 USD) on Binance via P2P (person to person) Trading with zero fees from Binance, there are many payment methods available in P2P trading in Binance like Bank Transfer, Sepa and a lot more depending on your country. in P2P trading sellers can increase the price of USDT a little bit e.g they will sell 1 USDT for 1.02 USD, you can take a look into available offers on Binance (I am using USD as reference, you can select your local currency in P2P trading).

You to have to do KYC verification on Binance to be able to use P2P trading.

As I said for people who have chosen PayPal and can take a look into Crypto you need to make a little research or . . find a friendly friend who can help you with that ;).
I can offer some help/guidance if you chose Binance (PM me).