60D Does not boot. Failed to mount partition

Started by dingle400, August 22, 2021, 06:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingle400

Hi there, I have been running magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul03.60D111 on my 60D.

I believe I opened the battery door while my SD card was formatting and before magic lantern could be restored. My camera no longer boots. However, it passes the blink test.

My camera also passes the portable display test, screenshot below:

However, it does not ROM dump properly, failing to mount the partition.
I am running a 64gb SDXC card on exFAT.

Walter Schulz

Use a SDHC card instead. Format card using cardreader.
Remove battery. Insert card. Insert battery and close compartment doors. Does cam startup now?

If it fails: Run EOScard.exe (Windows) or Makebootable.sh (macOS/Linux) to create a bootable card. (After using EOScard.exe delete all card content). Copy extracted nightly build content to card and retry procedure above. Report back.

dingle400

Hi Walter, thank you very much for your help.

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 22, 2021, 07:42:47 AM
Use a SDHC card instead. Format card using cardreader.
Remove battery. Insert card. Insert battery and close compartment doors. Does cam startup now?

I have reattempted this with an 8gb card with FAT32. The camera does not start up however, the ROM dumper now works. The output is below:

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 22, 2021, 07:42:47 AM
If it fails: Run EOScard.exe (Windows) or Makebootable.sh (macOS/Linux) to create a bootable card. (After using EOScard.exe delete all card content). Copy extracted nightly build content to card and retry procedure above. Report back.

I have also attempted this using EOScard.exe however, it is still not booting. The SD card LED flashes red but the camera does not turn on.
Startup log is also not working for me and has the same issue where the card LED flashes but the camera does not turn on.

dingle400

Magic Lantern Rescue
----------------------------
- Model ID: 0x287 60D
- Camera model: Canon EOS 60D
- Firmware version: 1.1.1 / 3.3.7 6C(2f)
- IMG naming: 100CANON/IMG_1355.JPG
- Boot flags: FIR=0 BOOT=-1 RAM=-1 UPD=-1
- ROMBASEADDR: 0xFF010000
- card_bootflags 10849c
- boot_read/write_sector 108c98 108cd0
- 102320 Card init => 0
- Patching 102330 from e3510001 to e3510000
- 102320 Card init #2 => 2
- Dumping ROM0... 100%
- MD5: c7f716f3f0cbb1a4fe93f62f6012f755
- Dumping ROM1... 100%
- MD5: a8816a77e63b9cc688eccdec12233dca
- No serial flash.
- Saving RESCUE.LOG ...

Walter Schulz

Quote from: dingle400 on August 22, 2021, 08:33:53 AM
I have also attempted this using EOScard.exe however, it is still not booting. The SD card LED flashes red but the camera does not turn on.
Startup log is also not working for me and has the same issue where the card LED flashes but the camera does not turn on.

AFAIK LED flashing occurs in older builds if firmware mismatch is detected. Are you sure you deleted all card content (esp. autoexec.bin) from card before copying extracted nightly build content to card?

dingle400

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 22, 2021, 09:02:35 AM
AFAIK LED flashing occurs in older builds if firmware mismatch is detected. Are you sure you deleted all card content (esp. autoexec.bin) from card before copying extracted nightly build content to card?
Yes. I made sure to format the card, then ran EOScard.exe, then copied the files. I followed the video on the EOScard website.
The LED flash is the same LED flash that occurs when I run the ROM dump and blink test.

Walter Schulz

The installation video is kind of outdated. You have to delete all card content after using EOScard and copy extracted nightly build content for 60D with firmware version 1.1.1 instead.

dingle400

I have followed your step but unfortunately it still does not boot.

Walter Schulz

Can you retry to make the startup log running using your SDHC card?

dingle400

No luck. I created the bootable card with startup log. When I inserted the card, battery, then closed the door, the LED flashed once.
I waited five minutes before disconnecting the battery and checking for logs. However, it does not seem to have logged anything.

kitor

I understand camera also won't boot without any card?

Upload ROM files somewhere and PM me those (do not post them in public!). I'll try to check in QEMU what's going on.

Bonus question: Do you have a rom copy from your Magic Lantern card, before this issue happened?

Alex unfortunately seems to be very busy lately, he is the master of camera recovery.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

dingle400

Quote from: kitor on August 22, 2021, 03:45:30 PM
I understand camera also won't boot without any card?

Upload ROM files somewhere and PM me those (do not post them in public!). I'll try to check in QEMU what's going on.

Bonus question: Do you have a rom copy from your Magic Lantern card, before this issue happened?

Alex unfortunately seems to be very busy lately, he is the master of camera recovery.

The camera will not boot without a card and no LEDs flash. I have sent you a message with my ROM files.

Unfortunately my first thought when it wasn't working was to recreate the bootable ML card so I did not keep the original ROM copy.

dingle400

Actually, I have managed to find my ROM files from when I initially installed ML.

kitor

That's good, I see you uploaded them too. I'll check them after work - will update you with my findings later.

If somehow ROMs got damaged, this should be recoverable.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

kitor

This is running your last rom copy. In QEMU logs I don't see anything obvious.

I also decoded log from ROM1, near the end it has:
[ 2473 ] [ 0x90fa9bda ] [STARTUP] DispError 5 ERROR Time 2021/7/28 20:22:30`

However this is one month old. Err 5 is "flash not raising" which does not make any sense to me.

You said:
QuoteThe SD card LED flashes red but the camera does not turn on.
Can you elaborate more? Flashes once, twice, continuously? This means different things...

Does top display lit up? Have you tried pressing any buttons like menu or trash? HDMI maybe?

Try moving power switch on/off multiple times.
There's also a small switch that detect if battery door is closed - see if it's not broken.

Create bootable card using tools Walter linked before, put this autoexec.bin on the card:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25668.msg233208#msg233208

See what happens.
Too many Canon cameras.

dingle400

No activity on top LCD panel, even when pressing buttons and turning on/off in different camera modes.

I do not believe my battery door switch is broken because I have tested it and the LED flashes as soon as I close the door.

I get a Single LED flash on power on during ROM dump.
Two quick flashes on power on with the default autoexec.bin.

With the autoexe.bin file you linked, I get irregular results. The camera flashes twice then the light either turns off/stays on.
The messages it records are also varying. Most of the time it flashes twice with a short message on the screen.
Sometimes this message comes up then appears to restart multiple times.
Rarely I get a full page of messages with a double flash on startup.

The video shows me pulling the battery out and re inserting it. Most of the time it flashes the short message but at 2:03 I manage to record the long message.

kitor

Let's start with blinking:

QuoteTwo quick flashes on power on with the default autoexec.bin.
QuoteI do not believe my battery door switch is broken because I have tested it and the LED flashes as soon as I close the door.

Does it flash every time you open and close battery door, without taking the battery out?

If so, possible scenarios:
- broken card door switch
- broken main power switch (most likely)
- battery is very low - there are no stupid questions - have you charged it or tried another battery / wall adapter?

You said:
QuoteI believe I opened the battery door while my SD card was formatting and before magic lantern could be restored. My camera no longer boots.
When this happend you removed the battery, or only battery door was opened?

Please check both variants from this post.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25668.msg233212#msg233212

See if any log files are saved. Try multiple times, maybe you will get lucky like above when once we saw more log before it shut down.

I also asked you:
QuoteDoes top display lit up? Have you tried pressing any buttons like menu or trash? HDMI maybe?
but got no response on that.
Too many Canon cameras.

dingle400

Quote from: kitor on August 24, 2021, 08:46:55 AM
Let's start with blinking:

Does it flash every time you open and close battery door, without taking the battery out?

The light only flashes when I close the battery door for the first time. It does not flash again when I open the battery door without taking the battery out.

If so, possible scenarios:
- broken card door switch
- broken main power switch (most likely)
- battery is very low - there are no stupid questions - have you charged it or tried another battery / wall adapter?

I think it is unlikely the card door switch is broken. I have tested using a pin to hold down the micro switch and it does not yield any different results.
The battery is fully charged and I do not have a spare battery/wall adapter.

You said:When this happend you removed the battery, or only battery door was opened?

I cannot fully remember. I believe the camera lost power first without any me opening the battery/battery door. I did end up both opening the battery door and removing the battery.
I remember formatting the card in the camera, then turning the switch off then on. It is likely that the camera did not turn on when I flicked the switch back on so I removed the battery.

Please check both variants from this post.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25668.msg233212#msg233212

See if any log files are saved. Try multiple times, maybe you will get lucky like above when once we saw more log before it shut down.

Startup log
Light flashes twice quickly. No logs recorded after 20 seconds.

Startup log MPU
When battery door is closed, the red light follows a cycle of approx. 4 seconds on 1 second off.
This normally repeats between 1-3 times.
I got really lucky once where this occurred 5 times for a duration of around 25 seconds. However, no log file was recorded.

Quote from: kitor on August 23, 2021, 04:41:40 PM
Does top display lit up? Have you tried pressing any buttons like menu or trash? HDMI maybe?

Try moving power switch on/off multiple times.

I have no activity on top LCD panel, even when pressing buttons and turning on/off in different camera modes.

kitor

Quote from: dingle400 on August 24, 2021, 05:18:23 PM
The light only flashes when I close the battery door for the first time. It does not flash again when I open the battery door without taking the battery out.

This doesn't answer the question :) In normal circumstances it should blink every time you close the battery door.
You wrote that it will blink when closed and won't when you open... but what if you close it again?

QuoteThe battery is fully charged and I do not have a spare battery/wall adapter.
It is still possible, but unlikely that battery is dead. I had LP-E6 reporting fully charged that was really dead-dead in the past.
If you have any friend with another camera that runs LP-E6 / LP-E6N, borrow one and try. This is the most common Canon battery right now.

QuoteI cannot fully remember. I believe the camera lost power first without any me opening the battery/battery door. I did end up both opening the battery door and removing the battery.
I remember formatting the card in the camera, then turning the switch off then on. It is likely that the camera did not turn on when I flicked the switch back on so I removed the battery.

All the symptoms so far points to potential hardware failure. Your description and camera behavior ( + fact that roms run in QEMU) suggests that this may be power switch related, and it started misbehaving when it powered off on you.
Power switch problems are quite common theme in this subforum, and they can produce any number of unusual symptoms.

===

If you are tech-savvy or have a friend that doesn't fear tinkering with hardware - try disassembling the camera and verify using multimeter if power switch works fine. It would be also good to connect to debug port (UART) and grab logs from both channels to see what camera wants to tell us.

Debug port should be located in bottom right corner, there's a hole under a thumb rubber (white 6 pin connector with nothing connected to it). Pinout should be easy to check with multimeter and USB UART adapter. Thread on debug port

Unfortunately with no real logs saved from camera I have no idea how to go any further.
Too many Canon cameras.

dingle400

Quote from: kitor on August 24, 2021, 08:38:58 PM
This doesn't answer the question :) In normal circumstances it should blink every time you close the battery door.
You wrote that it will blink when closed and won't when you open... but what if you close it again?

To answer the question, it does not blink every time I close/open the battery door. Only the first time and it does not blink when I open it.

Quote from: kitor on August 24, 2021, 08:38:58 PM
It is still possible, but unlikely that battery is dead. I had LP-E6 reporting fully charged that was really dead-dead in the past.
If you have any friend with another camera that runs LP-E6 / LP-E6N, borrow one and try. This is the most common Canon battery right now.

All the symptoms so far points to potential hardware failure. Your description and camera behavior ( + fact that roms run in QEMU) suggests that this may be power switch related, and it started misbehaving when it powered off on you.

Thank you for your help kitor. I will test both of these as soon as possible (covid permitting) and report back to the thread.