rtemote control/focus stacking et al...

Started by bulwynkl, September 19, 2021, 12:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulwynkl

Hey Folks,

I'm in the process of gathering hardware to build a stack rail, based loosely on this project (https://pulsar124.fandom.com/wiki/Pulsar124_Wikia)

My target cameras are Canon 550D and 600D

I am interested in finding out what (sensible) approaches I might consider to triggering the camera (and flash)  -  is this something Magic Lantern can help with - via an API or python/arduino library?

IIUC the current favoured response is to fake the cable trigger/electronic trigger (very hardware, much hack), but it'd be extra nice to be able to adjust camera settings and get feedback from the camera.

names_are_hard

"Faking" the cable trigger is really easy, which is probably why that's recommended.  It's a standard connector and you just need to bridge two wires, so you can attach it direct to GPIO.  I wouldn't expect you'd want to change camera settings per shot for a stacker?

If you can be more specific about what you hope ML might help with, we can give a better answer.  You certainly can use ML to take a picture.  You can control many cams, including Canon cams, via PTP, for which there are libraries available.

Walter Schulz

One of those PTP options: gphoto2. Maybe a RP-compatible device offers more flexibility