Paris (covid) free - EOS 5D3 3.5K RAW (update)

Started by wib, August 18, 2020, 06:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wib

So I took the time to shoot more with Danne's build (from 15th july, not yet august !)

Paris is finally free from covid lockdown. I shot accross a few neighbourhoods, from the Champs Elysées to the Canal de l'ourcq, where little by little the Parisians go back to their life, as before ?

I have to say that the quality is so pleasing.

I set the ratio to 2:20 and used the preset 3.5 crop
I was constantly switching between "realtime" view and "framing" to be able to frame correctly, with the m-fn bouton (or sometimes the shutter..)
All is handheld and stabilised within davinci, but my lens as optical stabilisation and I was holding the neck strap very tight in my neck.

edit : took the chance to test also an old lens and the anamorphic mod for full frame. same shots and location, different mood :)

EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

71m363nd3r

I am speechless. Amazing work.
I you want it would be nice to give some tips for people who are starting with ML.
Thumb up!

paulheran

Really nice shots! Seems like an amazing place to shoot. Someday I'd love to visit Paris.
5D3 113 | 16-35 2.8 | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 IS

wib

Quote from: 71m363nd3r on August 19, 2020, 03:19:00 AM
I am speechless. Amazing work.
I you want it would be nice to give some tips for people who are starting with ML.
Thumb up!

Maybe you can check this quick video I did a while ago, as an intro to Raw video with ML. :

Although I did a little mistake in the video as I was actually using the experimental build magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3113.zip
(you find it here : https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html) and I show in the video installing the nightly one.

I have to update this tutorial, I'm basing it on an older build, and the one you should install and try is Danne's crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Jul15.5D3113

Quote from: paulheran on August 19, 2020, 06:33:28 AM
Really nice shots! Seems like an amazing place to shoot. Someday I'd love to visit Paris.

Thank you, I'm sure once the situation is more stable, borders will reopen and you will be able.

Grognard

Very cinematic footages!.
Which resolution can you reach by shooting in 2.20 ratio? More 3k than 3,5k, i guess.

wib

bigW

This is really good, loved the choice of music. Great job!
Thanks for the inspiration. Can't wait to go out and try the new mod myself... hopefully will see soon the end of the lockdown also down here in Melbourne. Enjoy your summer in Paris.

P.S. I do also shoot hand held or rather strap-supported I should say. It gives IMHO way more natural looking footage when used properly. Even the walking shots look good, as long as there is no crazy jitter shake which is easy to avoid with stabilised lens.

wib

Thank you for your message.

a note and quick update : the original video was shot with a sigma 17-70mm (made for apsc actually) so the crop factor in 3.5K mod was a minor fact for that lens. After I shot this video, I was in holiday at my parent's and meanwhile there, I took a look at the attic and came across and old lens, a 35mm ifbagon.. I decided, after buying a ring to adapt on the EF mount, to shoot exactly the same shots and this is the result, with a totally different mood. So I shot in anamorphic mod in order to get the full frame field of view.

I am blown away by the look optained.

hyalinejim

Did you use diffusion on the Ifbagon or is that a result of the lens itself? It's very nice.

wib

no diffusion !

it's the lens itself when wide open under f/2, it flares naturally like that :)

fotomxr

This footage is so beautiful. I'm looking at Mark III's, currently shooting on Mark II.

wib