Comparing experiences of 5Diii+ML to Arri/Red/Canon cinema cams

Started by saf34, August 05, 2021, 03:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saf34

I've just finished my first full length project using just 5D mk iii with ML, after years as my only camera.  It has been the most amazing ride, and I can't express enough how grateful I am to everyone involved. 

I'm curious though - having never used anything else - what others' experiences are of the entry level commercial cinema cameras.  A RED Komodo, or a Canon C300 for example.  Even a Fujifilm GFX100.  As I'm acutely aware I'm going to have to deliver 4k at least on my next project.

Has anyone experience with these to share, in light of the amazing ML 5D? 

https://vimeo.com/558756617

Dmytro_ua

5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

nikki

youshouldtry11

As far as I know the komodo has much cleaner image, wifi connection for remote trigger/monitor, sdi feed and is ergonmically easier to rig up.
However ,I have some questions for you.

1. Was the video shot in full frame?
2. how was the hdmi feed when shooting? Are there delays or any problems to use it in a shoot? Is playback even working?
3. May I know what mode you shot on?
Thanks

iliush

nikki

Quote from: saf34 on August 05, 2021, 03:14:59 PM
I've just finished my first full length project using just 5D mk iii with ML, after years as my only camera.  It has been the most amazing ride, and I can't express enough how grateful I am to everyone involved. 

I'm curious though - having never used anything else - what others' experiences are of the entry level commercial cinema cameras.  A RED Komodo, or a Canon C300 for example.  Even a Fujifilm GFX100.  As I'm acutely aware I'm going to have to deliver 4k at least on my next project.

Has anyone experience with these to share, in light of the amazing ML 5D? 

https://vimeo.com/558756617

Do you know exactly what camera you want to use?

You can deliver in 4K with ML easily?

So I don't really understand your question?

I've worked with all the cameras you mentioned but I mostly shoot on super 16mm