Bike-packing Lopez Island, Washington | 5D MKIII | Danne's Build

Started by paulheran, August 05, 2021, 12:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulheran

My first bike-packing trip ever. It was a blast! Lopez island is so beautiful, i'm glad I was able to capture some moments with Danne's build on the old 5D3. Always worth the weight to bring on trips.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/583129999" width="640" height="256" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p>camp_lopez_video_ml_vimeo.mp4 from Paul Heran on Vimeo.</p>

5D3 113 | 16-35 2.8 | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 IS

Danne

Nice one. I liked it a lot :).
What preset used? What ratio?

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: paulheran on August 05, 2021, 12:22:12 AM
My first bike-packing trip ever.

Very nice! It seems to be a lot of focal lenses used here. Did you carry different lenses on bike-packing trip? Or is it smth like 24-70?
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

trapshitkalci

This is beautiful ! Would love to hear about the details of the post prod and shooting set up.
5D MK3 1.1.3 and Danne's latest build with Sandisk Extreme CF card (120mb/sec reading speed, writing is less of course), 60D Nightly Build

paulheran

Quote from: Danne on August 05, 2021, 12:29:32 AM
Nice one. I liked it a lot :).
What preset used? What ratio?

Danne, thank you so much.

UHD 1:1
3840x1536
SD overclock 160MHz
Card Spanning on
some 10bit, some 12bit (I was getting some stopped recordings after 3-4 seconds of recording in 12bit)
Canon 24-70mm f2.8

I can't figure out what I am doing different, but I feel like I used to get longer record times in 12bit on previous builds (in 2020) but now I have had to drop down to 10bit for sustained record times. Also, I am getting a glitched-out black/pink screen when hitting the magnification button to check focus, and then coming back to 1x. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Any pointers are much appreciated. Thank you!

paulheran

Quote from: trapshitkalci on August 05, 2021, 11:04:27 AM
This is beautiful ! Would love to hear about the details of the post prod and shooting set up.

Thank you!

For the post on this one, I took the .mlv and .m00 files into mlv app, then exported them to .cdng files. I opened the .cdng files in davinci resolve and converted the color space to black magic film and exported prores files. I then edited the prores files and colored in premiere pro. Not the fastest way to work with these clip, but I was lazy and most comfortable in premiere and working with prores. In the past, I have worked with the .cdng files in resolve as well with some success. I think next time I will follow that workflow again. I need to get more comfortable editing and grading in resolve.

Danne

Quote from: paulheran on August 05, 2021, 08:20:02 PM
I can't figure out what I am doing different, but I feel like I used to get longer record times in 12bit on previous builds (in 2020) but now I have had to drop down to 10bit for sustained record times. Also, I am getting a glitched-out black/pink screen when hitting the magnification button to check focus, and then coming back to 1x. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Any pointers are much appreciated. Thank you!
Did you keep the older build? Or else I could compile an older version for comparison testing.

allemyr

Thx for posting Paul! Your Washington Ferry video is the best quality I've ever seen from MagicLantern. A video I really enjoy watching!
Watching your videos shot in 3840x1536px is really nice, the detail is way much better then what I use myself. It feels like 5X more details or around.
Shooting with exact same settings like you do is something I would really try especially the 12-bit 1:1 1536 height. If you would do a little tutorial with some small photos of settings and the build you longest 12-bit record time in it would be really cool.
And some other tricks to somewhat get a live preview while shooting.

What SD card are you using?

Best

Karl

Danne

Testing out the 3.5k 1:1 centered x5 preset with sd patch 160Mhz and card spanning ON and I get some nice continuous recordings with 3536x1730(2:1 ratio) with 24fps. 10bit though.

paulheran

I'll make a video that explains my process, that way we can all discuss and learn from each other's experience and knowledge.

Thanks everyone.

- Paul

PaulHarwood856

Hello Paul,

Do you mind sharing a link to the exact sd card you used to overclock? Is this faster than using a 1066x cf card? Thanks.

- Paul

Walter Schulz

SD overclocking won't beat true UDMA-7 transfer on 5D3. CF does > 100 MByte/s and SD in 650D/700D/EOS M will max out recording below 80 MByte/s. And for some reasons 5D3 seems to hit the wall just above 130 MByte/s for writing (combined or not).
170 MByte/s Sandisk Extreme seems to give good results with overclocking no matter which camera is used.

PaulHarwood856

Hello Walter,

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm trying to figure out how to record to the CF card and SD card at the same time with the SD card overclock. I'm sorry if this has been answered already on the forum. I haven't found an answer. Basically I enabled 160 Mhz but only MLV files are recorded to the CF card. There are tutorials for the EOS M online, but I cannot find info for the 5D Mark III. If someone can type any sort of directions on how to proceed that would be great. Thanks.

- Paul

Walter Schulz

Danne

Quote from: PaulHarwood856 on August 15, 2021, 05:05:38 AM
Hello Walter,

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm trying to figure out how to record to the CF card and SD card at the same time with the SD card overclock. I'm sorry if this has been answered already on the forum. I haven't found an answer. Basically I enabled 160 Mhz but only MLV files are recorded to the CF card. There are tutorials for the EOS M online, but I cannot find info for the 5D Mark III. If someone can type any sort of directions on how to proceed that would be great. Thanks.

- Paul
Enable card spanning. It's under the raw video menu.

PaulHarwood856

Hey Walter,

Thank you for the quick reply. I was able to get it to work. I'm using Danne's most recent build from April 1st, 2021.

Hey Danne,

Thank you for the quick response. I was able to get it to work thanks to this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzNaJAztjpY

- Paul

theBilalFakhouri

To maximize write speed/get maximum recording times for High resolutions on 5D3 (using Danne build):

-Cards:
CF: Sandisk Extreme PRO 160 MB/s UDMA7
SD: Sandisk Extreme PRO 170 MB/s UHS-I U3

-Settings:
-SD Overclock: 160 MHz
-Card Spanning ON (from RAW video submenu)
-10-bit lossless

-Use Frozen LV from RAW video submenu (instead of Framing preview; in broken/cropped preview presets)

-If the scene was static, after setting your scene and before hitting the recording button . . toggle the preview to Canon preview by pressing Info button (keep Frozen LV) to get rid of Global Draw and gain extra write speed.

I recorded around 1 Minutes and 52 Seconds in 3840x1536 1:1 @ 23.976 FPS in 10-bit lossless (I stopped the recording manually), I have exposed to the right in a sunny day . . pretty good recording time at this high resolution preset, I will make more tests in future.

-I calculated what was the write speed while recording that clip, it was around ~115 MB/s.

PaulHarwood856

Hello theBilalFakhouri,

Thank you for this detailed response. I will make sure to try this out. Much appreciated!

- Paul

wib

EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

allemyr

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on August 16, 2021, 06:31:22 AM
To maximize write speed/get maximum recording times for High resolutions on 5D3 (using Danne build):

-Cards:
CF: Sandisk Extreme PRO 160 MB/s UDMA7
SD: Sandisk Extreme PRO 170 MB/s UHS-I U3

-Settings:
-SD Overclock: 160 MHz
-Card Spanning ON (from RAW video submenu)
-10-bit lossless

-Use Frozen LV from RAW video submenu (instead of Framing preview; in broken/cropped preview presets)

-If the scene was static, after setting your scene and before hitting the recording button . . toggle the preview to Canon preview by pressing Info button (keep Frozen LV) to get rid of Global Draw and gain extra write speed.

I recorded around 1 Minutes and 52 Seconds in 3840x1536 1:1 @ 23.976 FPS in 10-bit lossless (I stopped the recording manually), I have exposed to the right in a sunny day . . pretty good recording time at this high resolution preset, I will make more tests in future.

-I calculated what was the write speed while recording that clip, it was around ~115 MB/s.
Wow thank you very much! Will buy that SD card and try it later! Thank you for your detail response about 3840px!

paulheran

Quote from: wib on August 18, 2021, 11:42:07 AM
Very cool !

did you also carry your mini tripod too ?

This trip I did not, but regretted it! Most of my shots were very shaky, so I did a lot of post stabilization. I will definitely make room for the tripod next time.

LoO93