Moire fix, improved bitrates, clean hdmi, faster framerates possible with 650?

Started by VlastaS, September 08, 2012, 02:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VlastaS

Hi people of Magic Lantern,
I recently bought a 650D, as soon as it came out in fact, before the tests on the internet and everything. When I came home I was disappointed to find out that the image quality in video mode was almost the same as 550d and 600d if not exactly the same. I was expecting that there would be no line skipping because of the new processor, and that maybe image quality would be somewhat better, especially in the details. So what I want to ask is - would it be possible theoretically to disable line skipping or find any other way to fix moire issues with a firmware hack? Also, because it now has a faster processor would it be possible to enable higher bitrates and higher framerates? The last thing I wanted to ask is would clean HDMI be possible and how would it improve the image quality?
I've been a Canon user since I was a kid when I used to film with their 8mm camcorders, I've never had a camera that is not Canon. Therefore I am bitterly disappointed that Canon launched a camera in 2012 that has no image quality improvements over the 550d which was launched in early 2010, especially when pocket size cameras like Nex 5n now have better picture quality than Canon with much less moire and aliasing issues. I was not expecting that kind of neglect, arrogance, and lack of competitiveness from Canon. Since I cannot return my 650D, because I bought it in another country I am only hoping that firmware hacks can make up for this bad investment.
All the best to you guys, and thank you in advance!

nanomad

We don't know, but we expect every ML feature to work on the 650D. Higher bitrate should be easier on the 650D given the fact that it can use UHS cards.
For line skipping, the only hope right now is that canon left crop mode in and simply disabled it from the user interface. Funnily enough,  I think that 600D is still better for videos due to that....

All in all, unless we find a way to fake a firmware dump/update on the 650D we can't do much. We are just waiting for Canon's next move  :-X
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

VlastaS

Thanks very much nanomad. Sounds promising, if we could get the bitrates that GH2 got after hack that would be brilliant. But the feature that would make me the happiest camera owner in the world would be 48 fps in 1080p. Because I could film HDR in 24 fps Full HD. :) I've always wondered also if it were possible to unlock filming in resolutions higher than 1080p - Full 2k for example?
I can't tell you how much I appreciate the effort you all put into Magic Lantern software. I've spend all my money on a new camera now but as soon as I get some of it back I'll definitely donate to show my support to you guys.

1%

600D already does ALL-I 176mbps.. I've gotten past 200 for short periods. I'm actually trying to slow it down at this point. Card sustained is only 160. T4i will probably do like 400mbps in UHS-1. 2k and 4:2:2 can probably happen if we get at what's being fed to the encoder.

VlastaS

That's brilliant! Now I'm glad that I went for the 650D (I only wish they put a Digic 5+ in it but alas). You guys are pure gold for the Canon community and the fact that you are doing it for free is even more fascinating. I'll definitely donate as soon as I collect a little bit of money.

1%

I thought it was digic V. We're blocked by FW not being available still tho.

VlastaS

It is DIGIC 5 but I thought it was going to have 5+. Because putting an old processor when you have a new one out seems like planned obsolescence. 7D, 60D, 5D Mark II, 550D and 600D all had the same processor. Can't wait for the FW from Canon.