EOS-M Distortion on preview

Started by Jaiyan, July 17, 2021, 09:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaiyan

Hi all, thanks for making and maintaining the coolest bit of software I have seen in a long long time!

I had a good look around on the web, I read through the sticky to end all stickies (but may have missed it) and I had a bit of a scan through the topics on this forum before finally deciding to sign up and ask.. 

I have an EOS-M, I have downloaded the 2018-07-02 build and onto firmware 2.0.2 I have installed ML and can access all the menus and settings.  The issue appears as soon as I switch to video mode.  The camera appears to be trying to render a preview but it comes out as a mess of diagonal coloured lines (currently fluorescent pink and white and like a horizontal hold fault on an old TV if that helps...) with the details along the bottom.  If I record video it does save it to the card and I can play it back but the live view is nothing short of psychodelic.

I have tried two different SD cards of different brands and sizes
I have tinkered with some settings but am not familiar enough with ML to do it in an educated way
I have removed and re-installed ML

I am sorry if this is posted somewhere else, I don't want to waste anyone's time but I am very keen to get to know ML!

Thank you.

Walter Schulz

Depending on which mode  you are running (resolution/modules loaded, overlays used) you may experience side effects. Keep in mind EOS M was never intended to run RAW video and sometimes you have to sacrifice some cool features (coloured liveview, overlays) in favour of recording bandwidth.
Access Zeek's YT channel how to work with Danne's latest developments for EOS M.

Jaiyan

Thank you for your reply!

Funnily enough I discovered ML through Zeek's YT channel and have watched all of his videos, inspiring stuff!
I should probably have mentioned that the issue occurs on a fresh ML install with RAW switched off and (as far as I am aware!) no modules loaded.  I completely understand about the EOS-M not having been designed for it, to me that's what makes ML so amazing!  I am sure it is something I am doing wrong, I presume that my EOS-M is the same as everyone else's EOS-M but as far as I have seen nobody else seems to have had this issue.

Walter Schulz

Thanks for clarification!
There should be no distortions like you described using plain nightly build in video and photo mode. Try using lua_fix experimental build. Top of page -> Downloads -> Downloads (drop down menu) -> Experiments -> first section.

Jaiyan

Thank you again!

The issue seems slightly different this morning possibly due to some tinkering (reset ML defaults and formatted the card in the camera leaving ML installed)

Stills mode is fine.  As soon as I switch to video mode the preview freezes on whatever was on the screen at the time.  When I press the record button, then is when the familiar pink diagonal 'interference' lines appear. 

Just thought I would post that update in case some of it sounded familiar.

I will try the lua_fix build as you described and report back, thank you again!

Jaiyan

Hi,

Ok, that was fairly straightforward.  I installed the build and my camera immediately produced a preview in Movie mode (thought the zebras confused me for a few seconds!) and I was able to record in whatever standard mode it was using.  I couldn't find any options in that experemental build for changing resolution or selecting RAW so I thought I would rush back here and report my findings!

Many thanks!

Jaiyan

Hi,

Would you mind guiding me through how to proceed to a version of ML that I can use please?  Now that I have tried the lua_fix experimental build and that allows a preview, is there something I could try on the 'EOS-M Zeek Settings [Danne Build FEB04]' or another build that might be happy on my EOS-M?

Also, my comment still says 'Awaiting Approval' but 13 people have read it?  Is there something that I need to do?

Many thanks!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Jaiyan on July 19, 2021, 09:38:30 AM
Would you mind guiding me through how to proceed to a version of ML that I can use please?  Now that I have tried the lua_fix experimental build and that allows a preview, is there something I could try on the 'EOS-M Zeek Settings [Danne Build FEB04]' or another build that might be happy on my EOS-M?

Don't mix.
Does the distortion problems appear in video mode every time or only after switching from photo mode to video with power on?

Quote from: Jaiyan on July 19, 2021, 09:38:30 AM
Also, my comment still says 'Awaiting Approval' but 13 people have read it?  Is there something that I need to do?

No.

Jaiyan

Hi,

Ok, I re-installed.
I switch on the camera in photo mode, all is well,
I switch to video mode and the preview freezes,
I press record and the preview becomes interference including the information along the bottom of the screen though there is a red dot in the top corner. 
When I press record again the red dot disappears but the screen remains covered with the diagonal pink and white lines
When I switch back to stills mode the preview appears again but it is frozen and needs a restart to recover.

None of this happens in the lua_lux experimental build but I can't find a setting for RAW recording in that build and it was RAW recording that which got me interested in ML in the first place.

Thank you Walter, I appreciate your time. 

okiwidianto

hai, same problem here i when installing magic lantern initially it was fine in 1080p mode but when I shot several times why did my preview not appear and there were only pink lines all over the frame on the preview screen and it stuck..
back to menu, sometimes in the raw output section there is only a description of pixel 0x0 (max resolution 0)
try another mode, pixel raw output appear 19** x 7** (i forgot thr exact number) but on preview its still pink lines issue,,

Have you found a solution?