Author Topic: Best SD card for Canon EOS M + Magic Lantern  (Read 4778 times)

jer3my

• Just arrived
Best SD card for Canon EOS M + Magic Lantern
« on: August 14, 2019, 10:18:04 AM »
Hey!

I just have bought budget Canon EOS M with a Canon 22 f/2 lens from a co-worker who's working for the marketing department of Apknite. I'm a comp/dmp adept and my main reason for buying this equipment was to take some photo references for matte painting and to record some short clips to exercise roto/paint and other comp stuff. As I learned, EOS M was one of the cheapest gear at the market that offers to record in RAW, and yes, I'm aware it's not a pro camera...not even close.... yet it's still better than smartphone:) Since I'm a total newbie here, I would like to ask you about the best option in terms of SD/SDHC card for my EOS M to install Magic Lantern and record/take photos in RAW.

Extra questions, do you have any experience with small, portable, not expensive tripods? Which one is worth buying for someone on a tight budget?

Thank you very much for any suggestions,

Cheers!

walter_schulz

• Contributor
  • Senior
Re: Best SD card for Canon EOS M + Magic Lantern
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 07:20:17 AM »
Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s or same type with higher/lower storage capacity.

Cards with faster designation (150, 170 MB/s) are a tad slower and UHS-II cards have to work in UHS-I mode when used in EOS M.

yokashin

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 07:27:15 AM »
Extra questions, do you have any experience with small, portable, not expensive tripods? Which one is worth buying for someone on a tight budget?

I recommend the great ZEEK channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCn0RQHYheA41EudwmLnYKA/videos
70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

ricardopt

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 12:52:18 PM »

Cards with faster designation (150, 170 MB/s) are a tad slower and UHS-II cards have to work in UHS-I mode when used in EOS M.

from another thread:
Performance of those 300 MB/s cards (UHS-II interface) is inferior to 95 MB/s cards (UHS-I). When used in cams with UHS-I interface ... and your M doesn't have UHS-II.

Hi Walter, found a good deal on a 128gb uhs-II sandisk extreme pro sdcard, will it work with the EOS-M or do i need to get a UHS-1?
Thanks for any info

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 12:54:50 PM »
Answered in quote.

If it is an older 280 MB/s Extreme Pro: Don't use it. In compatibililty mode write performance is just around 46 MByte/s.

ricardopt

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
Sorry Walter but when reading your answers i got confused, thats why i asked, you say performance of uhs2 card is slower than uhs1 on a uhs1 interface but you finalize your sentence with saying the EOS-M doesnt have UHS2 interface...language barrier for me  i guess, i just wanted to know if this uhs2 card will handle the all the high resolution recording modes on the EOS-M or will the write speed drop below 50MB/s because of the uhs1 interface?
Thanks

ricardopt

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 01:17:10 PM »
just read your (edited) answer, this is the card:
https://www.nanochip.pt/pt-pt/produto/sandisk-micro-sdxc-card-extreme-pro-uhs-ii-128gb-sansdsqxcy128ggn6m

when i search for partnumber "SDSQXCY-128G-GN6MA" i only get UHS 1 results, maybe its a typo or wrong image on website.

ricardopt

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 01:30:36 PM »
Thanks yokashin, i was looking for a shop in my country, i just called the shop but i seems they're as confused as i was, got to look elsewhere.
Once again thanks.

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 01:35:09 PM »
Serial number and picture are for UHS-I card. Card is listed for around 33 € in german shops. Can't see why this should be a deal.

I have no information if UHS-II cards (which will work in EOS M, as I wrote in quoted texts) will do overclocking in UHS-I compatibility mode.

ricardopt

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 01:45:58 PM »
hi, amazon DE is 33 euros but out of stock, free delivery not available for other countries plus delivery charges, over here for 40 euros and next day delivery is a good deal, thanks Walter i guess it must be an error on the website.

Walter Schulz

• Contributor

ricardopt

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 02:04:25 PM »
I might have left out a SMALL detail, i have a DJI Osmo Pocket and it records video @100MB/s thats why i was looking for the extreme pro model since it supports those speeds, if i ever stop using the EOS-M i can use the card on the Osmo Pocket.

Thanks for all the advices, will wait for those results when you test uhs2 on uhs1 device.

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 02:23:32 PM »
Sorry, but I think your Osmo records at 100 MBit/s, not 100 MByte/s. And Extreme Pro with UHS-I interface won't write at 100 MByte/s ...

ricardopt

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 03:17:27 PM »
:) you're right so much writting variations with lower/uppercase "b", i completely forgot about that, i just saved 40 euros, the DJI Osmo records @100mbps (12.5MBps), i have a 95MBps 64GB on the Osmo when it only needs a 12.5MBps card, from now on that one goes to the EOS-M.

Thanks Walter.

wmtr

• New to the forum
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 05:17:07 PM »
New to the forum, here to post some findings. Just got my first Eos M and I have some sd/micro sd cards laying around, before I buy a new one I thought I would test them out first.

Samsung EVO select microsd 128GB,   160Mhz gives best results @ 54.5MB/s, which is enough for 1080p at 14bit, which is the only mode I need, this card runs about $20 on amazon.
Samsung EVO select microsd 256GB,   192Mhz gives best results @ 56MB/s, which is enough for 1080p at 14bit, this card currently sells at $35 on amazon, I got it when it was on sale at $25.
sandisk extreme Pro 95MB/s 32Gb,      192Mhz gives best results @ 44MB/s, just about barely enough for 1080p at 14bit.
SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC, this card is a no no, it barely goes above 20MB/s, so not enough for magic lantern.
Patriot LX Series 64GB, slightly better than Sandisk Ultra, goes to about 28MB/s, still not enough for magic lantern.

So shooting at 1080p 16:9 at 14bit, you are gonna need at least 41 MB/S writing speed. A 64GB card is gonna give you around 20minutes of footage, 128GB 40min, 256GB 80min and so on so forth. Based on my personal experience, a 8-10 hours shooting day(story based short film), I usually get about 60-75 mins of actual footage on camera. So for me, 256GB is the minimum.

So if you are like me looking for a cheaper alternatives to the much praised but more expensive SanDisk Extreme PRO, samsung evo select is a pretty good contender, they are not as fast as Sandisk extreme pro, but  good enough for what I need.

Currently I'm waiting for a 256GB Samsung pro plus full size SD card to be delivered,  I got it when the price is marked down to $30 for 256GB size, not sure it's temporary or permanent. It's supposedly designed for 'professional' use so I expect it to be more durable and writes fast than the consumer grade EVO select. I will report back when I receive it.

wmtr

• New to the forum
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2021, 08:56:58 PM »
Ok, got the Samsung Pro Plus sd card today (not the micro-sd version)

It's slightly better thatn evo select micro sd version but not by much.

160Mhz   writes at 54.8MB/s
192Mhz   writes at 59.7MB/s
240Mhz   writes at 19.7MB/s

so 192Mhz is the best fit. And since it's marked as 'professional', hopefully it will be more durable than evo select version.