HDMI Output Settings (hdmi_out.mo)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, June 05, 2021, 03:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: mineralof on September 04, 2021, 09:43:38 PM
can i somehow start broadcasting on dji RavenEye with this module on canon 6d?

You can use this module with any HDMI device, not all HDMI devices are guaranteed to work (like when using Progressive option), you need to do some tests.

IDA_ML

Has anyone tried the HDMI output on a 1920x1080 capture card?  Does that work and how is image quality in the 1x3 crop modes?  I use these 1x3 modes all the time.  My idea is to use an old smart phone as external monitor via a capture card.  Will that work?

Walter Schulz

You can answer both questions on your own:
a) Connect camera HDMI to HDMI input of your monitor/TV set.
b) Connect capture card to phone and connect capture card to HDMI output.

theBilalFakhouri

1x3 presets (which have real-time correct preview) do work with HDMI output, but only in 1080i output and in Full Canon preview (toggle between Small and Full Canon preview by pressing Info button while in 1080i output), the quality is good enough and of course it's better than camera LCD, but it suffer from aliasing and moire in LiveView (this also happens on LCD).

-I didn't have corrupted frames with 1x3 presets and 1080i HDMI (tested on 700D).

As far as I know, Danne did implement HDMI support for 1x3 presets for EOS M but he didn't test it, you need to make some tests (e.g try it on any TV with 1080i output) then feedback.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 06, 2021, 08:25:01 AM
You can answer both questions on your own:
a) Connect camera HDMI to HDMI input of your monitor/TV set.
b) Connect capture card to phone and connect capture card to HDMI output.

If I could, I wouldn't be asking, right?  I am considering buying a capture card, adapters and cables but don't have them yet.  My purchase decision will depend on whether this is a working solution or not.  If anybody has some experience with that, I should appreciate some information.

Thanks a lot, Bilal.  This is very useful information, indeed. 

Walter Schulz

Nobody can tell if your old smartphone will do the job. Telling type and OS version would be a start ...
HDMI adapter (with/without cable) is 2.50 to 6 €, cheap HDMI-USB converter 8 to 15 €. I recommend adapter and converter with cables attached.

IDA_ML

The phone is Samsung Galaxy S5 with Android OS on it, (I do not remember the exact version and dont have the phone here to check).  I will also need a OTG cable, I guess. 

JogaDann

Hi! I have a 5D2 running lastest 2020Dec28 build. But yes, I want to try hdmi_out.mo. Why I'm not doing this?

Because ISO branch just stucks the camera at a blue + red LED on when I turn it off. Did someone have this issue? I know, it's a ML issue, not a module one, but I wish to know if one of you had something similar, and maybe have a workaround. I'm very excited to try hdmi_out.mo (and solve the 480p output), but the base ML isn't working properly  :-\

PukDaLuck

@theBilalFakhouri I would like to use this on my 50D but the iso-research builds don't work for this camera. The camera locks up when it shutdowns down with the iso-research branch (solid blue light). The lua_fix branch works but your module doesn't work with that branch sadly.

I think this is the commit that was applied to the lua_fix branch:
https://foss.heptapod.net/magic-lantern/magic-lantern/-/merge_requests/720/diffs?commit_id=035648f634448331cc93af393ffbb70cc05daf34

Does anyone have an iso-reseach build with this code change?
Any other way to get iso-reseach working on the 50D?
Any way to install hdmi_output.mo in the lua_fix release?

Thanks

JogaDann

Quote from: PukDaLuck on December 19, 2021, 10:48:36 PM
@theBilalFakhouri I would like to use this on my 50D but the iso-research builds don't work for this camera. The camera locks up when it shutdowns down with the iso-research branch (solid blue light). The lua_fix branch works but your module doesn't work with that branch sadly.

https://foss.heptapod.net/magic-lantern/magic-lantern/-/merge_requests/720/diffs?commit_id=035648f634448331cc93af393ffbb70cc05daf34

Thanks
Yes, I had the same on 5D2  :'(

Priit Pavelson

Quote from: cyberninjaTF2 on September 04, 2021, 04:42:30 AM
Unfortunately this didn't work on my 60d (Firmware version 1.1.1-ml-iso-research), the HDMI Output option under the Display tab won't appear after i copied the "hdmi_out.mo" to the ML/modules folder.
It didn't work for me either: 60D.111

Quote from: Skinny on June 08, 2021, 10:28:09 PM
ok I can confirm it is working on 550D and 5D2 :D and NTSC and PAL switch also works..
I got an error after enabling the module on 5D2.212
tcc: error: undefined symbol 'unpatch_memory'
tcc: error: undefined symbol 'patch_hook_function'
[E] failed to link modules

lea84

Quote from: PukDaLuck on December 19, 2021, 10:48:36 PM

Thanks

Same with Canon 5D ii. has someone a solution???

liteo

Hi @JogaDann

I had the same issue with my 5D2 but managed to make it work.

I had to use a custom crop_rec_4k release (official release of crop_rec_4k for 5D2 doesn't exist) mentionned here https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.msg223333#msg223333
The bitbucket to download the release no longer exists but can be found here https://bitbucket-archive.softwareheritage.org/new-static/e6/e6b5dbd1-408b-4864-b984-289cb9371366/attachments/

Dobfek

Hello Together! As far as I know, using HDMI output drops a heavier load on the CPU. Would it be possible, to toggle the HDMI output with a push of a button? I would use a color calibrated HDMI monitor only to check if the aperture and the focusing is right, but I would not use the HDMI monitor during recording, to eliminate bad frames. Do you think that it would be possible?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Dobfek on June 20, 2022, 05:23:20 PM
Would it be possible, to toggle the HDMI output with a push of a button?

I think this button is already there and located on your HDMI monitor.

xthomasm

First of all, thanks for this.
I own a T5i that was sitting in my closet so I decided to use it as a webcam as I'm working from home now.

I have stumbled upon all of the hurdles that came with this idea:
1. I tried installing the EOS Webcam Utility, and although it shows a beautiful HD image, it is choppy as hell. I tried all of the different options in OBS, but I always get a choppy, lagged video out.
2. I then proceeded to discover Magic Lantern for clearing the output and forcing the camera to stay on beyond the 30-minute mark. So I bought a cheap HDMI capture device, downloaded the version of ML that comes out of the box, and... the camera only outputs a 720x480 image. No lag, no choppiness, but a low-resolution video nonetheless. I thought it was the video capturing device for a second, but then I discovered that the T5i did that on purpose. A was losing faith in this.
3. So, I was between a crisp image that was very laggy and delayed (EOS software) and a low-resolution image that was snappy (Magic Lantern). Since I was beginning to see what the community of ML is all about, I decided to Google the possibility of "forcing" the camera to output 1080p, and as luck would have it, you guys did it. I tried plugging the camera directly into my monitor and it worked using HDMI: ON, Signal: Interlaced, System: NTSC, and Force 1080i: ON.

So, the thing is: My monitor has two HDMI inputs, one for 4K and the other for 1080p. Only when I plugged the camera at the 4K out was the camera able to output in 1080i. When plugged into the 1080p input, it outputs the default 720x480 resolution.
Similarly, when I connect the camera HDMI output to the capturing device and then plug it into my computer, the camera continues to output the 720x480 image... Very strange.

Might you guys know what's happening? I tried all of the combinations of configurations on the hdmi_out.mo settings, and it just doesn't work. It's like I have to "force" the resolution somehow in the capturing device, but it doesn't seem to have that functionality.

DrSnug

Hello, I have a Canon eos 600D. Currently I have bought a DJI Gimbal Ronin RSC 2. The Raveneye was also included in the set. Unfortunately, the image transfer does not work. I know that the Reveneye is incompatible according to DJI. But that is because of the resolution that the camera outputs. I was hoping that with ML I could change the output to have a 1080p output. Googling and this thread didn't get me there though. Controlling the shutter and other settings through the app works, it's just that the image won't transfer.
Do any of you have any ideas? Thanks a lot

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: DrSnug on January 04, 2023, 11:59:07 AM
I was hoping that with ML I could change the output to have a 1080p output.

Hello, AFAIK 600D does only support 1080i output or 480p.
This module can get you 1920x540p, but it doesn't work very well on DIGIC 4 models (like 600D, please read the first post for more info).

Currently ML can't enable 1920x1080p output, I don't know how to do it.

Does the mentined device accepts 1080i or 480p stream?

cermurat

hi. can you update the download link. i have Canon 550D. I get 480p video in obs with video capture card. I hope it will be a solution.

mario1000

Quote from: cermurat on February 11, 2023, 08:05:19 PM
hi. can you update the download link. i have Canon 550D. I get 480p video in obs with video capture card. I hope it will be a solution.
The download link is still valid: you can find it at the bottom of the first post...