Highschool graduation party - 5DMkIII, 4k anamorphic, 24fps, 10-bit lossless

Started by IDA_ML, June 03, 2021, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDA_ML

Hi all,

A few days ago I filmed my daughter's highschool graduation party on the 5D3 using the April 1-st, 2021 experimental build by Danne.  I wanted continuous 4k/24 fps recording, that is why I decided to use the 1x3 anamorphic mode at 1392x2340 resolution, (crop factor of about 1,38). This mode provides continuous recording without card spanning or SD-overclock even if the scene is slightly overexposed.

Here is a short film from the event that is the result of 73 GB of RAW footage:

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/9eKT/xhmMafCFQ

If you have a slow internet connection, please do not watch the video online but download it on your computer using the blue "Скачать" button in the bottom left.  Sorry for uploading just a 1080p version - no quota for more.

Gear used:
------------
5DMkIII, EF 35/F2 IS, Gimbal Ronin SC

Post processing:  MLVApp v. 1.12, export to ProRes422LT
------------------

Video editing and adding music: Davinci Resolve 17.2 Lite
------------------------------------

Overall, the above build has been extremely stable and reliable.  Good job, Danne !!!  I never had a single glitch while filming during the entire session, not a single corrupt frame either.  Was a little bit concerned about battery life since replacing the battery requires the camera to be taken off the gimbal but it turned out that one full battery charge was sufficient and I never had to replace the battery.  Focusing at 5x and 10x magnification goes really fast and is very accurate, the histogram shows accurate exposure too. 

As far as image quality is concerned, my daughter pulled out several stills from the clips at moments that she liked most and all her friends were amaized by the quality and the possibility to capture and extract precisely the candid moments from the shots.  Personally, I like the absence of moire and aliasing, as well as the rendering of finest detail.  You may not like my grading but I am not good at that.  The processing latitude of RAW video is enormous, even at 10 bits - so, there is a lot of processing latitude.  I think that if you do not mind the 1,38x crop factor, this anamorphic mode is the perfect choice for 4k event videography at 24 fps. 

Thanks for watching and please let me know your opinion on that.

vstrglv

Thank you! It is interesting to look at 100% 1920x1080 crop from 1392*3x2340 or full 1392*3x2340 video.
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

IDA_ML

Quote from: vstrglv on June 03, 2021, 06:43:23 PM
Thank you! It is interesting to look at 100% 1920x1080 crop from 1392*3x2340 or full 1392*3x2340 video.

There is no crop other than the 1,38x crop required for 24 fps continuous recording.  What you see is a 1920x1080 video downscaled from the original 4176x2340 resolution.  I could have downscaled the video to the standard 3840x2160 resolution, still retaining very high quality, but the file size of 1,8 GB would have exceeded my upload quota.   

allemyr

IDA_ML

Quote from: allemyr on June 04, 2021, 09:51:24 AM
Colors are really really nice especially at the dinner table!

Thanks, Allemyr, but I did not do anything about the colors - these are Canon colors.  All I did was to use the portrait option of the white balance tool in MLV App for some of the close-up portrait shots.  I found that it does an excellent job in providing natural skin colors.