Raw Hi-res Silent Pic

Started by britom, September 01, 2013, 03:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

britom

This feature was available with 422 files but got deleted when the whole raw thing came up. I'm wondering if using the same method (capturing multiple 5x liveview images to cover the whole frame and then merging them to a single frame) can we get hi-res raw silent pics?
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

ItsMeLenny

I've been told silent pictures are now raw.
So you probably have to load the raw modules then you can shoot with silent pics?

Marsu42

Quote from: britom on September 01, 2013, 03:21:49 AM
can we get hi-res raw silent pics?

Yes, you could, but no, not yet - the matrix feature hasn't been ported yet from 422 to raw. I'm also very keen on this, so if you +1 this request it might move further up the list :-)

fpena06

I would love to have this feature. +1

britom

1%

You'd just need like 2 or 3 shots to do the whole thing, just move it down.

a1ex

On 5D3 I think you need 3x2 shots. With ADTG/CMOS registers I think there's a way to move the crop box instantly, so it's worth researching it. That would result in a full-res silent picture in 0.2 seconds (at 30fps LV).

Of course, if you discover how to take a full-size picture in LiveView with ADTG, that would be a lot better.

LEVISDAVIS

50D could really use some of this high-end energy for sure!
Levi S. Davis

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on September 01, 2013, 08:13:00 PMWith ADTG/CMOS registers I think there's a way to move the crop box instantly, so it's worth researching it. That would result in a full-res silent picture in 0.2 seconds (at 30fps LV).

Only on 5d3, or also for 6d? This would be really a purchasing factor if it'd be only possible on the high-end model.

Please do invest some time into this, not that I could influence it, but I used 300 shutter cycles today to focus stack two mushrooms, and if I continue at this rate my 60d which is now @140k cycles will be broken soon :-\ ...

... and here silent pictures is the rescue, you can focus stack from here to infinity and then sort out later what you really need.

a1ex

So far, 1% ported pretty much everything from 5D3 to 6D so...

Since we can already change line skipping factor and reduce vertical resolution, I'd research full-size pics instead (without stitching). If this will work, the pics will have some massive rolling shutter, but it should be a lot better than any matrix mode.

britom

Sounds great devs!

Do you think if someday we discover how to take a full frame silent pic, we can save a line every 3 lines and perform deinterlacing in post (if necesary) resulting in less moire video or higher non-cropped resolution video?

It sounds like a classic crazy impossible question like "When can we get 4k 120fps video?" and i'm aware of the hardware limitations but if its really imposible i just wanna hear the "stop doing drugs" coming from you guys :P

Anyway big thanks for your work!

1%

Keep doing drugs :)

Should work on all models, there are only a few CMOS registers and they're similar. But first a ton of RE work.

Redapple

+1! I really need this feature. Is there any news on the matrix being ported? Is there anyone who knows how to do it willing to do it? I can try and do it myself. If I were to try how is is the code modified to port it.

Edit: Or *cough* $100 if someone can do it

Marsu42

Quote from: Redapple on April 29, 2014, 03:09:33 AM
+1! I really need this feature. Is there any news on the matrix being ported? Is there anyone who knows how to do it willing to do it? I can try and do it myself. If I were to try how is is the code modified to port it.

The old matrix code is in the old Magic Lantern v2.3, get the old source from bitbucket via hg update to an old revision. Not that this code never got "full res" as the zoom box couldn't be positioned to the very sides of the frame. If you have that, I imagine you could just attach the new dng code to it instead of just saving the 422 buffer (but I didn't look at it at all).

Alex had some suggestions on how to improve speed a lot, search the forum or if you're not successful and want to work on it pm if he doesn't read this anyway.

Quote from: Redapple on April 29, 2014, 03:09:33 AM
Edit: Or *cough* $100 if someone can do it

Hope it helps, I also want the feature though I'm not a big fan of features for money - but the people who come to my mind and are able to do it don't do it for money and are busy on other features.

Redapple

I found the old file, which has hi-res silent pics, on a memory card. What Software should i use to look at the code. Also does the most recent silent pics version have the dng code in it that i could copy/reference over to the hi res version.

dmilligan