canon 500D black bar on bottom of external display while recording

Started by realflow100, May 27, 2021, 10:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realflow100

canon 500D black bar on bottom of external display while recording.
Doesnt actually matter if I use magic lantern

if I try to hide the gui it does not fix it. (The gui was taking place of the black bar. and canon does not crop out the black bar on the bottom and expand the display to fill the external display im using)
before recording/while NOT recording its showing full 1080p resolution

as soon as I go to record it changes down to 480p and has black bar on the bottom. and it makes the whole idea of having an external display USELESS because of how small the window is!

Is there any way I can use magic lantern to crop off the bottom bar with the gui hidden while recording video on my canon 500D?

Walter Schulz

I don't own a 500D but a 550D.
On my cam HDMI in photo liveview delivers 1920x1080i60. But active area is 1620x1080 = Black borders left and right.
In video liveview HDMI resolution is 1920x1080i60, too. But active area is 1620x912 = Black borders left and right and top and bottom.
During recording cam delivers 525i60!
Only in playback I get 1920x1080 without borders.

And ATM there is nothing ML can do about.

realflow100

Active area is only a tiny square  in the middle of the screen with borders on top and bottom. and MASSIVE borders on both sides.
its probably under 800 pixels wide!

its absolutely tiny and almost no bigger than the display built into my camera :(

Walter Schulz

As I said: Nothing ML can do about it.
Bilal's HDMI module requires an iso-research experimental build and this is not available for 500D.