Gower, Wales - 5D MKIII and Mavic Mini test

Started by Hari, May 01, 2021, 09:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hari

Got hold of a few vintage prime Olympus OM lenses for use on my 5D3 and tested it out on some landscapes in the south of Wales. I also brought along a drone for some aerial fun! Here is the result :

All 5D3 clips were shot at 3008 x 1280 at 2.35 aspect ratio at 3.5K crop using Dannes latest crop rec 2021Apr01.5D3113 build. I found higher resolutions stopping recording early when using sd overclock/card spanning.

Jonneh

Lovely shots!

Which Zuiko primes were you using, out of curiosity?
5D3 / 100D

Bender@arsch

QuoteI found higher resolutions stopping recording early when using sd overclock/card spanning.

I can record continuously at full 3.5K.

Have you tryed different bitdepth (10 or 12 bit)? Which SD card do you use?
I recommend SanDisk Extreme Pro 170MB/s 128gb. Have you tryed record without global draw (kill global draw or off)?

Hari

Quote from: Jonneh on May 05, 2021, 03:47:58 PM
Lovely shots!

Which Zuiko primes were you using, out of curiosity?

Thank you! I used both a Zuiko Auto-W 28mm F/2.8 and a F.Zuiko 50mm F/1.8 OM :D

Quote from: Bender@arsch on May 05, 2021, 09:42:35 PM
I can record continuously at full 3.5K.

Have you tryed different bitdepth (10 or 12 bit)? Which SD card do you use?
I recommend SanDisk Extreme Pro 170MB/s 128gb. Have you tryed record without global draw (kill global draw or off)?

Hmmm, I'll have to try changing the bit depth, I've always left it at 14bit lossless thinking that it was the best option. I do use the 64gb equivalent of that SanDisk (170MB/s) with a Komputerbay 64GB Professional 1066X CF card. Yep, Global draw is off, I just get a zoomed in live-view with the record time in the corner when recording. It seems I can record at full 3.5k continuously when the scene isn't as busy (like indoors) but once there's more going on, it cuts short. Thanks for your recommendations!

Bender@arsch

14bit lossless is the best option. The first bitdepth setting (8, 10, 12, off(14)) is just a tweaking from 14bit lossless. Or in other words all are lossless.
With 10bit (lossless)  you can record continuously in all condition and with 12bit sometimes too (depending on scene).

Jonneh

Quote from: Hari on May 07, 2021, 03:46:43 PM
Thank you! I used both a Zuiko Auto-W 28mm F/2.8 and a F.Zuiko 50mm F/1.8 OM :D

I have those two too. Brilliant little (tiny, rather!) lenses with perhaps the nicest focus rings I've ever found on a vintage lens. Enjoy them! Quick question on the subject: do you get infinity focusing with the 50 mm on the 5D3? What adapter are you using?

Regarding the continuous recording, remember too that higher ISOs (or rather, noise, which isn't the same thing) have a massive effect on the compressibility of the files and therefore the data rate and ability to record continuously. I don't know if this is a relevant factor in your scenes, but just in case.
5D3 / 100D

Hari

Quote from: Bender@arsch on May 07, 2021, 05:57:27 PM
14bit lossless is the best option. The first bitdepth setting (8, 10, 12, off(14)) is just a tweaking from 14bit lossless. Or in other words all are lossless.
With 10bit (lossless)  you can record continuously in all condition and with 12bit sometimes too (depending on scene).

That's great to know, thanks!

Quote from: Jonneh on May 11, 2021, 11:57:34 AM
I have those two too. Brilliant little (tiny, rather!) lenses with perhaps the nicest focus rings I've ever found on a vintage lens. Enjoy them! Quick question on the subject: do you get infinity focusing with the 50 mm on the 5D3? What adapter are you using?

Regarding the continuous recording, remember too that higher ISOs (or rather, noise, which isn't the same thing) have a massive effect on the compressibility of the files and therefore the data rate and ability to record continuously. I don't know if this is a relevant factor in your scenes, but just in case.

Yeah, they're great little lenses and your right about the focus rings, so smooth!! I just use a basic OM-EF Mount adapter that I bought on ebay and it seems to support infinity focus as far as I can tell. Will keep the ISO info in mind, thanks!

LoO93

Thank you for this wonderful little piece of art