No auto focus with Canon 5DIII Mark3 in full auto non-live mode?

Started by dbur, April 28, 2021, 10:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbur

I have a 5DIII with ML 1.2.3.  I am having a problem with autofocus in full auto mode. Auto focus works fine in all modes except non-live view full auto, in which case no focusing occurs.  There are no focus triangles in the viewfinder.  Interestingly the focus works fine in full auto mode in live view.

Canon support has no idea why this would happen as in full auto mode there should be no setting that stops auto focus.

Can this be an artifact of ML?  I still have the same problem if I remove the card with ML on it.  Same problem with multiple lenses.

Restoring factory defaults made no difference.

Has this been seen before?

Thanks.

Walter Schulz

Frankly, almost nobody here ever switches to A and therefore this one hasn't been reported before. I suppose you tried starting without ML and A mode works as expected.

dbur

Yes I tried removing ML and had the same problem, so likely is not an ML problem.  Canon tech support is also clueless as to why or how this could be happening.  I wouldn't much care except that sometimes it's nice to leave your camera in a mode where you can take a quick timely shot with no manual fiddling.

I also updated to FW 1.3.4 and ML 1.3.4 and it also made no difference.

Did not try undoing the boot flag that allows ML to load.