Which FF camera for unlimited 1080 raw shooting?

Started by MartinCooper, March 29, 2021, 10:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinCooper

Hi! I'm new in town, hope you are doing well with all this corona madness going on.

Since I have seen not all the cameras work the same with magic lantern, which FF camera would you recommend for 1080 raw shooting with no time limit? Does the 5D MkII , MkIII or the 6D have this capability?

It's mostly for recording interviews, so a mic input, a jack output and a good quality audio  recording would be great too.

Thank you

Walter Schulz

Volumetrik

I'd have to agree on that ! 5D Mark II can do it pretty well too, but the aliasing on fine detail like distant trees can be distracting.

Plus on the 5D Mark III you can card span on the SD+CF for even longer recordings on full frame 1080p and other modes as well.

2blackbar

I would not recommend 5DII raw if youre using mlvapp and you dont know color science cause it has some issues in there , all colors but green are washed out undersaturated and overall you need to work with it quite a bit to make it look close to real life colors.DNG files work fine in other programs tho but with mlv people mostly use mlvapp.
Go for 5DIII, maybe it doesnt have such issues.

masc

The 3 cams are very close. Best is 5D3: if it comes to "unlimited" recording, because it offers 2 card slots spanned. 5D2 can't record continuos in 1080p with the nightly build - it exists a 10/12bit build, but here it crashed sometimes. 1920x960 is continous at 14bit. Note: 5D2 records uncompressed, so footage is way bigger! Color of 5D2 is no real problem - the differences are only visible side by side compared to another camera. Therefor 5D2 brings better results in high dynamic range scenes.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202