Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisualPursuit

As of today, Canon announced firmware 1.2.3, again with reference to
further bugfixing on the AFMA misadjustment problem.
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#DriversAndSoftware

Let's hope they finally fixed it and that this will help in moving from 1.1.3
as a basis for ML to now 1.2.3.

Yes, I know about the work, and unfortunately I cannot be of much help.

phil7

Does anybody know when a new ML version will come out to support  FW 1.2.3 Versions? I have no problem in using 1.1.3 but for monitoring using hdmi out the image is a fourth of the screen size. So it si no help in buying a 7 inch external monitor for focusing help if the output image on it is only a fraction of its size ( not bigger than the one on the camera back)...

hirumhorkweller

Quote from: phil7 on November 02, 2013, 10:01:28 AM
Does anybody know when a new ML version will come out to support  FW 1.2.3 Versions? I have no problem in using 1.1.3 but for monitoring using hdmi out the image is a fourth of the screen size. So it si no help in buying a 7 inch external monitor for focusing help if the output image on it is only a fraction of its size ( not bigger than the one on the camera back)...

My IKAN VH8 works quite nicely with ML on 1.1.3. It has autoscaling, so if you turn off all screen overlays then the video becomes full screen. You should try it and see if you have any luck.

I also had an issue for a while with the preview rectangle being in the wrong position on the monitor, but I read elsewhere that turning the grayscale preview option on would strangely fix this, and sure enough it did.

I can't wait until ML RAW is more stable, but at least it works with a little finessing.

sharont

Hi,

I'm new to ML.
I have a 5D3 upgraded to 1.2.3.
Can/should I install ML?

Thanks,
Sharon

VisualPursuit

Quote from: sharont on November 04, 2013, 07:18:55 PM
Hi,

I'm new to ML.
I have a 5D3 upgraded to 1.2.3.
Can/should I install ML?

Thanks,
Sharon

Sharon, you will have to downgrade to 1.1.3 or wait until someone does the necessary work.

sharont

Quote from: VisualPursuit on November 04, 2013, 11:32:59 PM
Sharon, you will have to downgrade to 1.1.3 or wait until someone does the necessary work.

Thanks.
I'll be waiting.

ChrisContiPhoto

I hope this is the right place for this question.

This may be a silly question but I've searched through the forums & I can't find the answer anywhere (my apologies if I've missed something obvious).
With the Alpha 3 version (or any other version), is it possible to record H.264 video (NOT RAW!) longer than 30 minutes on the 5D3, provided the card is formatted exFAT?

I am trying to see if it is possible to record the native H.264 5D3 video for longer than the 30-minute limit, and I would like to avoid altering the bootflag on the camera if at all possible (that's why I'm attracted to the Alpha 3 version, as if I'm not mistaken it doesn't alter the bootflag).

With this goal in mind, what is the best ML version for me to be using?

Thanks very much for the help.

rufustfirefly

Is anyone aware whether or not the EULA for the new firmware version (1.2.3) has removed the odious reverse-engineering inhibiting clause, which kept ML from being ported to v1.2.1?
EOS 5Dmk3 | EOS 40D
EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II ; 50mm f/1.4 ; 24-104mm kit lens ; 135mm f/2.8 SF | FD 28mm f/2.0 ; 55mm f/1.2 ; 300mm f/4 | Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 | Other : Rokinon Cine 14mm, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm ; Juplen M42 135mm f/2.8 ; ... etc ...
http://jbuchbinder.com/

mva

Quote from: rufustfirefly on November 08, 2013, 09:07:03 PM
Is anyone aware whether or not the EULA for the new firmware version (1.2.3) has removed the odious reverse-engineering inhibiting clause, which kept ML from being ported to v1.2.1?

From the End User License Agreement for updating to 1.2.3 on the Canon U.S.A. site ( http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#DriversAndSoftware -- click through and you'll see it just before you download):

QuoteYou shall not alter, modify, disassemble, decompile or otherwise reverse engineer the Software and you also shall not have any third party to do so.

Interestingly, the EULA begins with this sentence:

QuoteThe following End User License Agreement applies only to camera firmware updaters.

I'm no lawyer, but that seems to suggest that it doesn't apply to people who buy their cameras with 1.2.3 or other firmware already on it (i.e., who don't update), and so (perhaps?) it needn't prevent ML from being ported to newer versions of the firmware.

chris_overseas

Note that you can download the firmware from Canon's European or UK sites without any reverse engineering clause:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_5D_Mark_III.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-1098601&page=1&type=download

EDIT: if anyone has a rom dump for 1.2.3 I'll be willing to have a go at updating the stubs...  (I don't want to upgrade to 1.2.3 then downgrade back to 1.1.3 as I've heard a couple of people say that can aggravate the AFMA bug)
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

mva

Quote from: chris_overseas on November 09, 2013, 03:59:31 PM
if anyone has a rom dump for 1.2.3 for me I'll be willing to have a go at updating the stubs...  (I don't want to upgrade to 1.2.3 then downgrade back to 1.1.3 as I've heard a couple of people say that can aggravate the AFMA bug)
I've heard that too. My 5D3 has 1.2.1 (and no ML yet) and I'd be willing to update to 1.2.3 and provide you with a rom dump if I had a clue how to do that. If no one else offers, and you'd like to PM me with instructions or links to instructions for doing a rom dump, I'll give it a shot.

chris_overseas

Quote from: mva on November 09, 2013, 08:04:09 PM
I've heard that too. My 5D3 has 1.2.1 (and no ML yet) and I'd be willing to update to 1.2.3 and provide you with a rom dump if I had a clue how to do that. If no one else offers, and you'd like to PM me with instructions or links to instructions for doing a rom dump, I'll give it a shot.

My understanding (and be aware that I'm far from expert...) is that it would just be a matter of flashing the updater firmware in the first post of this thread to get the firmware dumped out to the memory card. I'm not sure where the source code is for that firmware file though so I can't check to be comfortable that it will run successfully/safely on 1.2.3. On top of that, the firmware also turns on the bootflag which currently can't be undone. I'm sure you don't want to enable the bootflag on your camera just yet (it slows down startup/wakeup of the camera and prevents Eye-Fi cards from working) so I'd recommend against you running it. Thanks for the offer though!
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

mva

Quote from: chris_overseas on November 10, 2013, 04:20:45 PM
I'm sure you don't want to enable the bootflag on your camera just yet (it slows down startup/wakeup of the camera and prevents Eye-Fi cards from working) so I'd recommend against you running it. Thanks for the offer though!

Although I'm seriously considering installing raw on my 5D3, which would involve both downgrading to 1.1.3 and setting the bootflag with no way to safely reset it, you're right that I'm not yet ready to enable the bootflag (or downgrade to 1.1.3). So I hope others come forward to help. Good luck!

Quentin

Hello friends

I just bought my 5d3 with 1.2.3 on it. Is downgrading possible ?

Thanks

lsweedman

Bonjour a toutes et a tous! Je recherche désespérement le moyen de passer de la version 1.2.1 a la version 1.1.3 sur mon 5d mark III.

Avez-vous un lien de téléchargement du firmware 1.1.3 sur mac et y a t'il un risque en fesant cette manipulation??

Sinubis

All ML 5D3 developers,

Not sure if this is the best thread to post this on, if it's not someone please move it where it belongs.  For anyone working on 5D3 ML for firmware 1.2.3, I'm willing to test and provide feedback needed to get it on the way to being a stable release.  For me, and I believe others too, my main need from the updated firmware is the HDMI mirroring options. There are many situations on set where there's a need for both the on camera monitor and an external monitor to be running (i.e. 1st AC's pulling focus while Cam Op composes shots) and "Image on both LCD and external monitor at the same time" is listed on the features NOT POSSIBLE list.  I feel this feature is very necessary on set and if it's not possible form the ML developer teams I'm willing to help test on the firmware that it's already included on.

Thanks in advance.
EOS 5D Mk III | EOS 600D/T3i
Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG | Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG | Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG

rufustfirefly

It looks like the nasty language is still present in the "Grant of License" section of the license for downloading the v1.2.3 firmware ( "You shall not alter, modify, disassemble, decompile or otherwise reverse engineer the Software and you also shall not have any third party to do so. You shall not modify, remove or delete a copyright notice of Canon contained in the Software." )

This was cribbed directly from Canon's site ( http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#DriversAndSoftware )

Looks like we're not about to see any official Magic Lantern versions based on the v1.2.3 firmware.

QuoteThe following End User License Agreement applies only to camera firmware updaters.

IMPORTANT!

IMPORTANT- READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE CLICKING "I Agree" AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE!

This License Agreement (the "Agreement") is a legal agreement between you and Canon Inc. ("Canon") under which Canon is providing the software program for version-up of the firmware of Canon's products (the "Software"). BY CLICKING "I Agree" AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE, YOU ARE DEEMED TO AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT, DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE. IN SUCH EVENT, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE THE SOFTWARE.

1. GRANT OF LICENSE:

Canon grants you a personal and non-exclusive license to install the Software directly or through other medium such as hard disk or CompactFlash and use on Canon's product which you own.

You shall not assign, sublicense, sell, rent, lease, loan, convey or otherwise transfer to any third party, or copy, duplicate, translate or convert to another programming language the Software, except as expressly provided herein. You shall not alter, modify, disassemble, decompile or otherwise reverse engineer the Software and you also shall not have any third party to do so. You shall not modify, remove or delete a copyright notice of Canon contained in the Software.

Except as expressly provided herein, no license or right, express or implied, is hereby conveyed or granted by Canon to you for any intellectual property of Canon.

2. OWNERSHIP AND COPYRIGHT:

The Software is copyrighted and owned by Canon. You agree and acknowledge that Canon transfers neither ownership interest nor intellectual property in the Software to you under this Agreement or otherwise, and that Canon retains all right, title and interest to the Software.

3. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS:

You agree to comply with all applicable export control laws and regulations of the country involved, and not to export or re-export, directly or indirectly, the Software in violation of any such laws and regulations.

4. SUPPORT AND UPDATE:

Canon, Canon's subsidiaries and affiliates, their distributors and dealers are not responsible for maintaining or helping you in your use of the Software. No updates, bug-fixes or support will be made available to you for the Software.

5. DISCLAIMER:

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE SOFTWARE PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU (AND NOT CANON, CANON'S SUBSIDIARIES AND AFFILIATES, THEIR DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS) ASSUME THE ENTIRE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THE ABOVE EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU IN SUCH STATES WHICH DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES.

Canon, Canon's subsidiaries and affiliates, their distributors and dealers do not warrant that the functions contained in the Software will meet your requirements or that the operation of the Software will be uninterrupted or error free.

IN NO EVENT SHALL CANON, CANON'S SUBSIDIARIES AND AFFILIATES, THEIR DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION, LOSS OF BUSINESS INTERRUPTION OR OTHER INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES) ARISING OUT OF THE SOFTWARE, USE THEREOF OR INABILITY OF USE THEREOF EVEN IF CANON, CANON'S SUBSIDIARIES OR AFFILIATES, THEIR DISTRIBUTORS OR DEALERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU IN SUCH STATES WHICH DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.

CANON, CANON'S SUBSIDIARIES AND AFFILIATES, THEIR DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS SHALL HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO INDEMNIFY YOU AGAINST ANY CLAIM OR SUIT BROUGHT BY A THIRD PARTY ALLEGING THAT THE SOFTWARE OR USE THEREOF INFRINGES ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OF SUCH THIRD PARTY.

6. TERM:

This Agreement is effective upon your clicking "I Agree" at the bottom of this page. You may terminate this Agreement by deleting the Software. This Agreement will also terminate if you fail to comply with any of the terms of this Agreement. In addition to Canon enforcing any of its legal rights, you shall then promptly delete the Software.

7. U.S. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS NOTICE:

The Software is a "commercial item," as that term is defined at 48 C.F.R. 2.101 (Oct 1995), consisting of "commercial computer software" and "commercial computer software documentation," as such terms are used in 48 C.F.R. 12.212 (Sept 1995). Consistent with 48 C.F.R. 12.212 and 48 C.F.R. 227.7202-1 through 227.72024 (June 1995), all U.S. Government End Users shall acquire the Software with only those rights set forth herein. Manufacturer is Canon Inc./30-2, Shimomaruko 3-chome, Ohta-ku, Tokyo 146-8501, Japan.

8. SEVERABILITY:

In the event that any provision of this Agreement is declared or found to be illegal by any court or tribunal of competent jurisdiction, such provision shall be null and void with respect to the jurisdiction of that court or tribunal and all the remaining provisions of this Agreement shall remain in full force and effect.

9. ACKNOWLEDGMENT:

BY CLICKING "I Agree" AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE, YOU SHALL BE DEEMED TO HAVE ACKNOWLEDGED THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS AGREEMENT, UNDERSTOOD IT, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ITS TERMS AND CONDITIONS. YOU FURTHER AGREE THAT THIS AGREEMENT IS THE COMPLETE AND EXCLUSIVE STATEMENT OF AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND CANON CONCERNING THE SUBJECT MATTER HEREOF WHICH SUPERSEDES ANY PROPOSALS OR PRIOR AGREEMENT, ORAL OR WRITTEN, AND ANY OTHER COMMUNICATIONS BETWEEN THE PARTIES RELATING TO THE SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS AGREEMENT. NO AMENDMENT TO THIS AGREEMENT SHALL BE EFFECTIVE UNLESS SIGNED BY A DULY AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE OF CANON.

I have read, understand the information above, and agree to same and wish to download the designated software.
EOS 5Dmk3 | EOS 40D
EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II ; 50mm f/1.4 ; 24-104mm kit lens ; 135mm f/2.8 SF | FD 28mm f/2.0 ; 55mm f/1.2 ; 300mm f/4 | Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 | Other : Rokinon Cine 14mm, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm ; Juplen M42 135mm f/2.8 ; ... etc ...
http://jbuchbinder.com/

chris_overseas

Quote from: rufustfirefly on November 20, 2013, 11:02:14 PM
Looks like we're not about to see any official Magic Lantern versions based on the v1.2.3 firmware.

This is a non-issue. It has been widely discussed on here already and is well known to the developers that firmware downloaded from Canon's European sites doesn't have the reverse engineering clause. The work simply needs to be done by someone who knows how. I would have a go myself if I knew how to get a firmware dump of 1.2.3.

lsweedman

Ou puis-je télécharger la dernière version de ML pour le 5d3?? Merci d'avance!!

MONTAZ

Bonjour;
J'ai essayé le dernière mouture sur mon MARK III firmware 1.1.3
Pas de problème ! Parfait.
pour aider, voici ce qu'il y a sur ma carte sd qu'il ne faut pas oublier de mettre en place
avant la mise en marche de l'appareil ++++

DCIM
MISC
ML
5D3-113-bootflag.fir
autoexec.bin
ROM.DAT

C'est tout!
il semble que pour une mise à jour, il faudra écraser le dossier ML et le fichier autoexec.bin

lsweedman

Pelican

I hope this topic's language did not switch to French...
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Pelican on December 02, 2013, 04:48:29 PM
I hope this topic's language did not switch to French...
I will have to go back to school to learn it..! ;)
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

screamer

Hi guys,
just buyed today a 5d mkiii. I'm already using ml with 60d and 6d. i've read all i found about 5d mkiii ml development, and as i understood there's no safe way to disable bootflag from the camera and with the bootflag the camera needs seconds to switch on. correct?
So the first post on this thread suggest to use the "non autoboot" way, updating the firmware every time, or try at your own risk the developer version, hoping that sometimes in the future will be possible to disable the boot flag on the camera.
I've tried the alpha3 version. It works, but cannot see the most of magic lantern things (that's probably what is in the alpha3). So my question is, the only way to shoot raw, to use timelapse functions etc, is to use the developer firmware updater (enabling the boot flag) and using the nightly build?
Or is possible to have access to those functions also with the non-developer fir and doing every time the fir install procedure?
i've tried to put the files of the nightly in the same card of the FIR, but magic lantern still display only the alpha3 voices of menu.

thank you guys :)
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2