Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P337

Quote from: 1% on May 04, 2013, 07:29:06 AM
Nightly would support new fw. Can cook the same feature set as alpha 3... but why?

oh the newest nightly works for 1.2.1?  I want both because I like the new "mirror LCD" feature in 1.2.1 so that the Cameraman can use the LCD while a focus puller in on the side of the rig with a field monitor pulling focus, but I also like to have Magic Lantern's focus peak to help the focus puller and also confirm to the cameraman that focus was achieved. 

As it is right now (with 1.1.3) when I plug in the external monitor the LCD blacks out and so the cameraman and AC have to crowd together on the field monitor screen, but they get focus peaking due to magic lantern.  So my choices are less crowding or focus peaking, but I want both naturally :) lol

btw Canon USA still has both 1.2.1 and 1.1.3 up for download http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#DriversAndSoftware

1%

P337

ARG! looks like canon set it up that LCD still shuts off if you don't clear overlays, since magic lantern peaking is an overlay it may not even work.

1%

Heh, I'd just be happy to port the mirroring to 6D. Seems useful, regardless, maybe this problem can be amended.

Goldstein

Quote from: 1% on May 04, 2013, 10:07:50 AM
It will, not yet.

Any rough guess as to when we can use any version of ML on the MK3 FW 1.2.1 ?
It's a tough choice now if to use FW 1.2.1 without ML or go back to 1.1.3 with ML  :-\

1%

When you see a 1.2.1 folder in the ML tree then its being worked on.

JohnN

Just dropped back to 1.1.3 and for the first time it worked :)

Thanks guys I'll have to have a play around - its the first time I've seen it since I had it on the 60D and it looks to have changed a fair bit.

aaphotog

I noticed that the newest nightly build is the 5th of may.
I formatted my card and compiled the nightly build from scratch again, but am I supposed to use the 5d3 fir file found ion the first page of http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2602.675, or the fir file found in the new nightly build(may 5th) although it says 1100d?

when I used the fir found on the other thread... everything works fine, but at the bottom when I boot up my camera, it says april 30th.

kchung

Quote from: g3gg0 on January 20, 2013, 10:44:30 AM
confirmed. so movie restart is not contrary to this law.

A1ex, et al.

Here's a great article and discussion from dpreview on the 30 minutes issue:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05/18/WTO-looking-at-moves-to-remove-30-minute-limit-from-digital-cameras
more:
http://www.tested.com/tech/photography/44445-why-digital-cameras-have-a-30-minute-video-recording-limit/

WTO are changing the rules shortly and an European issue. I don't think any Magic Lantern work violates any tariffs to offset potential loss of revenue from folks pirating shows w/ their DSLR. ML is not in the business of selling/importing any video recorders.

I would highly encourage you to reconsider adding the "Movie Restart" back into the 5D MkIII, just like any other ML ports.

mesebar2

Quote from: thenickdude on March 30, 2013, 03:24:36 PM
So, I haven't seen any clear instructions for how people can try out the (unstable) development release yet (instead of the older Alpha 3), so here's my guide. Because it is an unstable development release, it could wreck your camera, so do this at your own risk. Please correct me if I get any of this wrong.

1. Start by updating your camera's firmware to the latest Canon version (1.1.3).

2. Because this isn't a final release, your camera needs a little modification made to it so that it can load Magic Lantern from the SD card. This is called turning on the camera's bootflag. When the bootflag is turned on, and a bootable SD card is inserted, the camera will load and run the file "autoexec.bin" from the SD card. Here, autoexec.bin will be the Magic Lantern software.

To turn on the bootflag, format your SD card in your camera, then copy this file to the root of your card:

http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/5D3/5D3-113-bootflag.fir

Put it back into your camera, then run the firmware update option from the menus. The update will turn on your camera's bootflag.

3. Download the nightly Magic Lantern zip here. Unpack the zip file and copy just the "ML" folder to your SD card. Delete any .fir files that are on the SD card. You've now copied just the fonts and other data that ML needs to operate to your SD card.

4. Now you can copy a Magic Lantern development build (autoexec.bin) to the root of the SD card. Building this file is tricky, but NerveGas has kindly built a copy for us and posted it here. Unpack that zip file and copy the autoexec.bin to the root of your SD card.

5. You should now have an "ML" folder and an "autoexec.bin" file in the root of your SD card. That's the data/fonts and the actual Magic Lantern software. All that is left now is to set the "bootable" flag on the SD card, which tells the camera that it should look for and run the autoexec.bin file for us.

On Windows, you can use the EOSCard utility to do this:

http://pel.hu/eoscard/

Select your SD card, tick the EOS_DEVELOP and BOOTDISK options, install no FIR files, and Save.

On Linux / OSX, you can use the make_bootable.sh script instead. Plug in your SD card, then run the script from the terminal with sudo ./make_bootable.sh . Hopefully you know how to use the terminal.

6. Okay, so now you have the bootflag turned on in your camera (so it looks for bootable SD cards), you've marked your SD card as bootable, and you've copied the development Magic Lantern build "autoexec.bin" and the Magic Lantern data files "ML" to your SD card, you're ready to go! Turn off your camera, put the card in, and turn the camera back on. It should boot and run Magic Lantern.

Note: The nightly builds available on the main site do NOT support the 5D Mark III yet. You need to build autoexec.bin yourself or use the version provided by NerveGas instead (as these instructions already mentioned :)).

Hi, i did all of this (three, times, just to make sure i was not missing something) but it did not work for me!
I was able to install the Alpha 3 immediately, but when i then tryed to follow this procedure, it just did not work :/
I noticed that, after formatting my SD, putting the bootflag fir on it and running the Firmware Update on the camera, it would quickly show a message on the lcd saying "Cound not find ML files!"... i suppose this might be the reason for which all the other steps i then carefully followed did not work.

I thought of running the Firmware Update by keeping both the bootflag.fir, the ML folder and the autoexec.bin on the sd card which i had made bootable with EOScard, but since on point #3 it said "Delete any .fir files that are on the SD card.", i thought of asking you to please help me rather then doing something stupid :P

Thank you all for the attention and my compliments for this amazing job you are doing, really fantastic!

EDIT: the moment i switched the MODE selctor to M, everything suddenly worked!!! Setting the mode to M is something that was not clearly stated on this thread (and, in fact, the alpha 3 installed and worked perfectly for me while my mode was on Av) but on the CAMERA PREPARATION in the wiki for installing ML, it said to put the mode to M and so i gave it a try... I hope it might help others :)

bumkicho

Does anyone know when 1.2.1 will be supported? If not, does anyone have 1.1.3? Can anyone post a link to 1.1.3 or post it online? Thanks.

dude

mesebar,
that s the reason why only experienced users should try this.
If you do not have any clue about it, wait until a stable version will be out.
Mots of the "problems" of ML came out of users who had no idea what they are doing, and mistakenly marked as "software problems with ml".

msowsun

Quote from: bumkicho on May 13, 2013, 12:25:49 PM
Does anyone know when 1.2.1 will be supported? If not, does anyone have 1.1.3? Can anyone post a link to 1.1.3 or post it online? Thanks.

I have 1.1.3 in my Dropbox. Try this link:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ci4u4y2gnd43t4u/FK0WDvrlfR
SL1 100D.100B

msowsun

SL1 100D.100B

Vegandelight

I get a few warnings when compiling last nights nightly. Is that common, i havent compiled ML before.
If i get a bin at around 433k, it should be OK right?

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

danielnix

When I try to update the firmware bootflag I get a message saying there is no update available and to check card, I have to take battery out everytime. im just trying to bootflag my mark iii.

danielnix

I got the bootflag to work but now when I put autobin file and ML file and run auto boot nothing happens. I put sd in and turn camera on and nothing happens.

danielnix

I will pay someone to call me and walk me threw the process. Im pretty good with computers and have been studying this all day. I just think im missing something.

RenatoPhoto

After the camera starts push the trash button to bring the ML menue
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

CalBoy87

I got all RAW video working out fine, thank to A1ex. Is all good, just one question: is there some way to see the movie RAW file while connecting camera to PC, so far, the only way I could see and transfer it, is by putting CF card in reader and then file is visible. Also in Windows Explorer file M000000.RAW shows as Leica Raw Image.  As I heard some horror stories of bend pins in CF card slot on 5DM3, I like to avoid taking out the CF card at all. I am using windows 8. Thank you for any advice

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

chiosphoto

The RAW, how would it work with an external recorder? Using SSD should be much faster than the CF.

Oli

Hello,
My firmware is 1.2.1: can that be a problem?
Thanks