Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelican

EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

eyeland

I am surprised that the discovery of low fps raw video aka DNG burst mode has not generated more forumactivity?
Is there a thread I am blissfully unaware of?
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

eyeland

Stedda

Quote from: aaphotog on April 30, 2013, 03:41:42 AM
Can anyone provide a link with instructions on how to compile one of the nightly builds(with a mac) so that I can install on my 5d3?

Alex already gave you everything you need with instructions.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

squig

I just tried to downgrade the 1.2.1 firmware back to 1.1.3, won't work! Bastards!

EDIT: Finally got it to work. I downloaded 1.1.3 from another Canon server and reformatted the card.

swinxx

so is raw video with 5dmk3 really possible without external recorder?

please: can anyone provide a link with a firmware for testing this.?

would be great, i have never compiled a firmware and have no idea what to do??

thx. swinxx.

Jason Montalvo

Check back about a page and Alex posted the file and instructions. If you've never done this before you might want to wait until the "cookie cutter" version is ready. i.e just drop the files on the card and go.

aaphotog

Quote from: a1ex on April 29, 2013, 02:36:25 PM
Here's a snapshot from the current source code, so you can try the latest raw developments (DNG burst, RAW histogram) and pretty much everything from the nightly builds. The feedback from the early adopters who compiled from source code was positive, I've also ran the built-in tests, and it seems OK at first sight.

Download: autoexec.bin

You'll have to enable the bootflag with the developer FIR (first post), make the card bootable (eoscard) and copy the other files from the nightly zip. It works only on firmware 1.1.3.

I'll be offline for one week and hopefully I'll get some time to try all the stuff and fix the installer. If it goes well, the next step is to enable the nightly builds.

Where is the nightly zip for the 5d3?
Latest post in the nightly thread was on april 26th and it says that there are no 5d3 nightly???

Audionut

Quote from: aaphotog on May 01, 2013, 05:57:14 AM
Where is the nightly zip for the 5d3?

Read!  Directions are 1 post above yours.

Quote from: Jason Montalvo on May 01, 2013, 01:59:34 AM
Check back about a page and Alex posted the file and instructions. If you've never done this before you might want to wait until the "cookie cutter" version is ready. i.e just drop the files on the card and go.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2602.msg32231#msg32231

aaphotog

Quote from: Audionut on May 01, 2013, 07:38:15 AM
Read!  Directions are 1 post above yours.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2602.msg32231#msg32231
I did read and that post says this
You'll have to enable the bootflag with the developer FIR (first post), make the card bootable (eoscard) and copy the other files from the nightly zip. It works only on firmware 1.1.3.

The problem is, like stated, I dont know where to find the nightly zip. That was my question. Where is the link to the nightly at?

Audionut

aaphotog

Quote from: Audionut on May 01, 2013, 07:56:17 AM
In a big section at the top of this forum labeled Nightly builds. ;)

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3072.0
I went to that link a day or so ago, and the last post says
Quote from: nanomad on April 27, 2013, 01:52:43 AM
There are no builds for the mk3

So am I supposed to put the nightly build from the link below with the rest of the items when compiling the ML for 5d3?
The link seems to be good for everything BUT the 5d3(it's the only cam that doesn't seem to be listed)...
Is that the correct download link to use, though?

http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/

Audionut

In all honesty, if you can't follow the instructions already posted, you should step away and go and enjoy your camera.
The instructions to unbrick your camera are a whole fuckload more complicated then this process to run the latest source snapshot.

You'll have to enable the bootflag with the developer FIR (first post)

make the card bootable (eoscard)

Download the latest nightly zip http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/

Extract the contents of the nightly build to the card you made bootable

Overwrite the autoexec.bin with the one a!ex posted here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2602.msg32231#msg32231

Insert card, turn the camera on, prey!

swinxx

on my mac i have tried to format the sdcard with the macboot.class app but got a permission denied error..
what can i do now?
and which option is the right one in that prog.

thx. sw

eyeland

Has anyone started looking deeper into the 1.2.1 yet?
Any ideas on how hard/easy it will be get the alpha to work with it?

Stedda

Quote from: Audionut on May 01, 2013, 09:18:59 AM
In all honesty, if you can't follow the instructions already posted, you should step away and go and enjoy your camera.

Amen.... imagine what these guys could do if they didn't have to answer the same questions over and over again day in and day out all because people don't read.

Like I loaded ML and nothing happened... I see the same Canon Menu.
Or every time I restart my camera ML is gone! PLEASE HELP!  ::)
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

aaphotog

Thanks Audionut. Figured it all out.
now running the latest nightly build.
Now, to find out how to record that RAW video :-)

Goldstein

Hey guys.

I used the ML Alpha 3 before with my 5D Mark III previous FW  1.1.3. Worked fine.

Since today when I updated my Mark III FW to 1.2.1 ML no longer works.
Camera Red LED flashes forever and have to take out the battery.
I understand this is a known issue and must use the old FW.

I'd rather stay with Canon's 1.2.1 than revert to 1.1.3.
Unless I don't have any other choice as I really love the Magic Lantern :)

Is there any tweak or anything to be able to use the ML AlphaIII with Canon's FW 1.2.1?

Or at least any rough wild estimate on when's the Magic Lantern Alpha ver support the MK3 FW 1.2.1?
If it's only a short wait, I'd rather just wait patiently.

Thanks for the great work and for being so cool.

gadgets4grls

I tried searching this message thread and others but can't find a clear answer.

You use the "developer fir" to enable the boot flag.
My question is how do you disable the boot flag and restore the camera to factory default.

Now before I'm jumped on I understand how to remove ML is a stable release version, format card in camera and select remove ML, but I want to know if this same method applies here to an unreleased version where you have to use the developer fir to enable the boot flag or if a special method is required to remove the boot flag and disable the bootable card features.

I would appreciate any help.
Thanks

P337

Quote from: Goldstein on May 01, 2013, 11:03:39 PM
Hey guys.

I used the ML Alpha 3 before with my 5D Mark III previous FW  1.1.3. Worked fine.

Since today when I updated my Mark III FW to 1.2.1 ML no longer works.
Camera Red LED flashes forever and have to take out the battery.

Thanks Goldstein!  You've confirmed my suspicion that ML 5D3 Alpha 3 does not support 1.2.1, looks like we'll have to wait for Alpha 4 to add the support, I might still try the 1.2.1 update though.  Does anyone know a sever still hosting 1.1.3 and would you please post a link to it if not too much trouble, thanks

1%

Your boot flag stays on from 113 -> 121 most likely but the FW is all different, probably wouldn't even boot stubs are in the wrong place. It has to be updated. It just came out what, 2 days ago?

P337

Oh cool, so Alpha 3 might support 1.2.1 also.  Might not have to wait as long as Alpha 4 then.  Thanks 1%

1%

Nightly would support new fw. Can cook the same feature set as alpha 3... but why?