Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnN

Thanks for the guide - I tried it using last nights build - magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Mar30.60D.550D.600D.50D.500D.5D2.1100D, sadly it didn't work, in fact the only thing it did was disable liveview.

I will confess to not doing the last step to ensure it autoboot, which I'm glad about actually.

It may have been just that build, but I did note the lack of 5D3 in the title.

The card was a previously working boot enabled card and I could load the firmware okay.

I'm not looking for help, I'm just reporting back what happened to me - thanks again for the guide though, no doubt it will be of use.

EDIT - I tried a couple more times and saw a message saying enableboot then a :-) followed by frozen or in one case an error 80.
I would suggest we hold off playing for now, or at the very least try a different build.
Even on the occasions where the firmware loaded and didn't lock it the liveview was disabled and the delete icon did nothing so I never saw a menu to try anything else.

thenickdude

Odd. The nightly build (magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT..) zip is only used for the fonts/other data, not the Magic Lantern autoexec.bin itself, so pretty much any nightly should work. I'm not sure what I did differently to you, because it works for me™.

JohnN

Barrfly

I recall seeing a spreadsheet posted of what features are enabled on each camera .
It's been a month or so since I saw that posting and I can't find it for the life of me. I just upgraded from a 7D to 5D Mk III and am trying to find the difference in usable functions .
If someone could direct me to the link it would be most appreciated .

eyeland

What are the main deciding factors in moving from alpha to full release / What decides which features are considered safe?
Statistics of dev testing and/or user feedback?

Does the latest nightly build have all the features listed @ http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/feats.html enabled?

Keep up the good work :)
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

wintix

the full-feature fw runs like a charm, thanks to anyone involved!

sicetime

Audionut

Quote from: sicetime on April 02, 2013, 09:25:54 PM
It's april and no news.

It's the third day of April!

[spoiler]Heck, it's still only the second day of April in some parts of the world![/spoiler]

JohnN

For once I hope the firmware comes a little later as it will no doubt knock the release of ML back :(

hirethestache

Quote from: hirethestache on March 23, 2013, 11:54:58 PM
I may have overlooked this question in reading all 26 pages of posts, but has there been any sort of study on the effects of re-loading the firmware on every single startup? Seems to me like this could be damaging, but I'm merely a UI/UX designer, and by no means a developer...
@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D

NtiT

Quote from: hirethestache on March 23, 2013, 11:54:58 PM
I may have overlooked this question in reading all 26 pages of posts, but has there been any sort of study on the effects of re-loading the firmware on every single startup? Seems to me like this could be damaging, but I'm merely a UI/UX designer, and by no means a developer...
Firmware is loaded to RAM I think, not any write-limited memory like ROM.

Phobos

Hi,
  I've been using ML for 550D and 5D mk3 since last autumn.

I've been waiting for some of the features I miss on my 550D, mainly the intervalometer. I thought it isn't yet available on the Alpha 3, but the feature matrix shows the feature available on 5D mk3, http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/feats.html.

Is this only on a nightly build?

trsaunders

It's not on the nightly build, but if you check out the latest code and build it, you will get the intervalometer. To run the autoexec.bin you need to enable the bootflag using the special .fir from the first post, and make your card bootable.
50D, 5D3

Phobos

Ok, thanks for your quick reply.

Could you please advise me with the risks of this procedure. I made my 550D card bootable a couple of years ago, but am slightly hesitant to do it with the 5D mk3. I've read that bricking the camera is possible when doing this.

GonzaloM

Hi,
I just enabled the bootflag but and if we want to go back and disable the bootflag what .fir we have to do and one thing is there any difference between the ML files in the 2.3 stable vs the nightly?? I had a blue crash screen with the stable release but not with the nightly, otherwise I'm very happy with the results, excepting the battery consumption and the 65C degrees which my camera reaches, are normal this last things???
Thanks

DavidBrumbley

Quote from: Audionut on April 03, 2013, 01:41:37 AM
It's the third day of April!

[spoiler]Heck, it's still only the second day of April in some parts of the world![/spoiler]

ATMOS is demoing with the new canon firmware at NAB saying it will be releases in may.

http://www.atomos.com/whats-new/

GonzaloM

Quote from: DavidBrumbley on April 08, 2013, 07:46:10 PM
ATMOS is demoing with the new canon firmware at NAB saying it will be releases in may.

http://www.atomos.com/whats-new/
I hope so! ;) Canon said the AF option at F8 would be available in that firm as well as the 1DX and other 1D/1Ds becoming the 1st 5D which have this option and the 1s Canon which have it and isn´t part of 1 series ;D

BTW, I was trying the bulb and intervalometer tonight here in EU are 4am 8) and it works perfectly fine :)
Thanks to all devs for doing this possible, the fact of use a bulb and intervalometer without a remote shutter is great one thing less to carry on!

@!ex

Quote from: eyeland on March 31, 2013, 12:10:25 PM
What are the main deciding factors in moving from alpha to full release / What decides which features are considered safe?
Statistics of dev testing and/or user feedback?

Does the latest nightly build have all the features listed @ http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/feats.html enabled?

Keep up the good work :)

Bump

JohnN

Just read on CanonRumours that the new firmware is very likly to be by the end of this month - http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=14147.0

1%

QuoteEOS-1D C
Another announcement may be coming at the end of April letting us know when we can expect the 25p at 4K update. One of the challenges is encrypting the firmware to combat hacking or reverse engineering of the software inside the camera.

As for the 120fps/720p mode that leaked in a photo a few weeks ago, that feature won't appear in the final version of the firmware update due to "stability concerns".

I lol'd

I guess you need dual digic to record that 120fps and they couldn't make it work/sync.

ozcancelik

On 5D3 Ghost Image only works for Panoroma? I'm trying some stop motion thing but ovelay always shows little bit right side.(I guess this way works for panorama). Ghost image still needs to be improvement for 5D3? Or it just works for pano shots? I'm using 11.04.2013 Nightly Build.

Thank you.

Francis

You can move the ghost image using the directional pad.

ozcancelik

Nope. Doesn't work. Always shows right side and cannot change position.
Quote from: Francis on April 15, 2013, 03:39:22 PM
You can move the ghost image using the directional pad.