Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

You do know that developers also have daily jobs and families, right?

Kent

Alex you are a hero !! Sorry to see that people dont see that you are spending a lot of your free time to help them.
I will be happy to support you via paypal when i can.
5D3 , EF 100 2.8L Macro, EF 24-105 4L, EF 70-200 2.8L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 580 EX II's, RRS BH-55, Gitzo GT5532LS, Pixel King's, ZOOM H4N

1%

QuoteHonestly, I wouldn't count on it, the 5D3 looks like the forgotten stepchild of magic lantern development...

DotTune works on 5d3/6D/5d2 and even 50D. Just no pre compiled bins for some of those... ie 5d3.

A1ex is just trying to keep you from killing your cameras, esp with those that are all gimme gimme without enough reading.

JohnN

I think people are just excited by the feature and keen to try it out.

Also on the forums I usually frequent there have been a few extra mentions of ML in relation to this and many people don't know where to start at compiling a bin file or have the confidence in case they get it wrong (myself included if I'm honest)

Obviously we all very much appreciate all the effort put into the development (well I damn well hope so!) and are just not so good at expressing this without looking like total suck ups.

frenchps49

I totally agrree with every point you made John

NerveGas

Just digging into the project (and the source later on tonight). Great job. Working well on my 5D III. Am thinking about recompiling with the focus menus enabled for testing. Has anyone tried focus stacking or trap focus yet? Is there any way to enable the menu through the UI or does it require a recompile? Thanks!

1%

Focus stacking and trap focus work on 6D so they have a good chance of working here (obviously I can't try). Yes, you will have to recompile.

Kent

5D3 , EF 100 2.8L Macro, EF 24-105 4L, EF 70-200 2.8L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 580 EX II's, RRS BH-55, Gitzo GT5532LS, Pixel King's, ZOOM H4N

NerveGas

NerveGas

I have my own build compiled, before I turn on the boot flag with the provided firmware file: how do i turn it off later on?

1%

The fir file turns the flag off/on. Once its on why would you though?

Kent

I belive that it only turns it on, there is no way to turn it off again.

NerveGas

Because as I understand it if you don't have an auto exec file from that moment on, the camera won't boot.

1%

You're supposed to be able to unset the flag just like on the other cameras by moving the dial and re-running, etc.

But I've never unset the flag, no ML and camera is pretty useless.

NerveGas

Is this documented anywhere? What dial are you referring to?

Kent

I have tested all of it and I can not make it work, the bootflag stays on, if you have a eye-fi card the
camera will refuse to start with that card after applying the dev firmware.
The card has to be bootable and contain a autoexec.bin for the camera to start.

1%

Since you have the "dev kit" fir you can install/uninstall like normal ML. Read the user guide. Previous releases I believe only worked for one boot only.

Kent

I'm very confused ? Are you refering to this:

Does Magic Lantern completely replace Canon firmware?
No. Magic Lantern runs from the card, as an add-on over standard firmware. You will still be
able to access all Canon functionality.
To go back to Canon firmware, you may:
• Press and hold SET at startup to bypass ML only once (for the current session).
• Format your card in the camera and choose to remove Magic Lantern.
• Disable the bootflag (this will uninstall ML from the camera; to do this, run Firmware
Upgrade and follow the instructions).

I does not work for me and I have tested several times and if I run the firmware update again it does not remove the bootflag, I get a msg that says that the bootflag is set everytime. And I dont get the question if I want to remove ML when formatting the card

NerveGas

Would be great if a1ex could clear this up; I'm ready to dive right into dev but would like to make sure I can back out of the boot flag change on the 5D3 if I ever want to sell the camera. Will restoring the 1.1.3 firmware reset the boot flag (and will it allow you to restore the same FW already on the device)? If not, is there some other way to turn OFF the boot flag later on?

a1ex

Reinstalling Canon firmware will not remove the bootflag.

The full installer (not the dev kit) can remove the bootflag, but this is not fully working on 5D3.

NerveGas

a1ex, so when you say the full installer, do you mean if I create my own custom build of autoexec.bin and boot it, that it has an option to remove the boot flag? I've got it built; I'm just trying to find a way to boot it without making what appear to be at the moment permanent modifications to the camera...

nanomad

No, the installer is the ML code that runs during the firmware update stage
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Meh.... to me the ML additions (esp video, go port config loading) far outweigh the problems. 5d3 is pretty mature compared to say eos-m or 650d, on those I might want to remove it still if all props don't work, etc.

Kent

I totally agree with 1%, the problem with 5d3 is that ML removes the possibility to use the Canon support for Eye-fi cards and since it's not yes possible to turn the flag of I have to wait :-) with the Eye-fi usage which by the way works real good with my iPad and ShutterSnitch.

NerveGas

a1ex, could you maybe post a second firmware file that disables the auto-boot bit, so we can get to doing some dev without losing the ability to back out of ML if necessary?