Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

The good news is that I've been running the same test on the public alpha for around 2-3 hours and it's still going strong. It's in the Debug menu -> stability tests -> random tests. This means the backend is pretty strong.

Simdub

Quote from: a1ex on November 08, 2012, 08:23:50 PM
The good news is that I've been running the same test on the public alpha for around 2-3 hours and it's still going strong. It's in the Debug menu -> stability tests -> random tests. This means the backend is pretty strong.

Good news yes :)! I'll do these stability tests as soon as I can. All the best for your work, from Belgium ;).

a1ex

I'll get a wall adapter (ACK-E6), and if the test will run for 24 hours, I think it will be pretty stable. Maybe I'll be able to film a timelapse with it running.

Simdub

Oh it would be great! Let's cross our fingers.. I don't know how much it costs but I just sent you (and your team) 10€, not much but I hope it will help you getting what you need ;).

Lcrusher

I like the sharpness peaking a lot. Too bad it's a bit laggy.

swinxx

great alex.
dim function is perfect for my situation :)

sharpness function for focus is great too..
after 5 minutes of testing i found out that the focus function does not work when anamorphic preview is activated..
is that correct?

greets. re

a1ex

Focus peaking works with anamorphic preview, but only with "blinking dots" display selected.

robertdouglas

I've done a shooting all day long yesterday with the alpha3 and found it pretty stable ! None bugs appear, and 0crashs

JohnN

Quote from: a1ex on October 30, 2012, 08:01:52 PM
- Kingston 16 GB 266x CF -> fails

I too have this card (its my only CF) and it fails.

I can't afford to buy another just now and have never had an issue with it having taken hundreds of images and a fair few videos.

Can you tell me what its testing for (sorry if I missed this answer somewhere in the thread), also despite obviously loading as it tells me on every screen that my card failed I cannot access the menu via the erase button as before.

Also is there a definitive list of safe CFs out there somewhere so when I do get a new one there isn't a nasty surprise.

a1ex

It simply tries to write a file, with some buffer sizes known to fail on that card, discovered empirically ( http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2528.0 ).

Probably Canon code does not use these buffer sizes, so it's extremely unlikely to fail under normal usage.

I've noticed it when shooting this: http://vimeo.com/48861358 (ERR02 after exactly 116 pictures). I've used some ugly hacks to be able to shoot it. I had ERR02 in normal usage too (just shooting pictures, nothing fancy).

I had no problems using this card in 5D2 though.

JohnN

Cheers Alex, I only have the 5D3 but I'll upgrade to another card on payday, they're not as expensive as I seem to remember, better that than sometime deep into a project :)

gilmoursimon

Hi Alex, I was just wondering if the auto restart is included or likely to be included in an update soon? I know the Mk3 now can record for longer (up to 30 mins) but it would stilll be a very useful feature to have so I can just position the camera at an event and leave it recording. Many thanks!

itsskin

I did a long shoot and it restarts automatically.

tferradans

Quote from: a1ex on November 11, 2012, 10:20:58 AM
Focus peaking works with anamorphic preview, but only with "blinking dots" display selected.

Working like a charm! :D
I just miss the anamorphic preview in play mode now, but that can certainly wait.

I've been using the Alpha 3 for three days in a row, shooting  a short film all day long - no resting times for the camera - with many lenses (m42 adapted, 24-70, 70-200, 50, 16-35), multiple cards (and brands) and custom cropmarks without ANY bugs, quirks, errors and such. Congratulations, guys! Your work helps a lot! I'll certainly donate some more soon. :D

itsskin

Quote from: itsskin on November 11, 2012, 07:15:31 PM
I did a long shoot and it restarts automatically.

Ooops. Just checked again and this shooting was without ML.

DTSET123

Hey Alex, is magic zoom on half shutter work in progress or we better get used to current options? This feature is a life savior on m2 and it is the most effective feature on ML for "running-and-gunning" - it would be greatly appreciated if you could get that working.
Alpha 3 is working fine on Kingston 16Gb X133.

swinxx

Jason Montalvo

Shot a wedding last weekend, Focus Peaking, Zebaras, and Gradual exposure were without any issues !!

Thank you very much... it seems very solid !!

MoiraOBrien

No stability issues.

Zebras - Luma Fast gives solid block of colour for over/under exposure which comes and goes at 1-2 sec intervals.

Focus Peaking - all methods seem to work well on low ISO's.  Raw focused best and quickest especially with Strong Edges (my preferred anyway).  Increasing ISO made it harder to focus especially using Sharpness.  Beyond ISO1250 it was impossible to focus.  Changing colour does not have any effect when Fine Dots are selected - in fact it only seems to work in Blinking Dots.

Histogram and waveform at the bottom only worked on 3:2 top/bottom mode. All other modes displayed at the side.  Did not move at all on my Marshall 5" monitor.

Gradual Exposure works extremely well.

Fast focus box moving works well.

Will test some more.

Moira
5D3, 5D2, 7D, FCPX

itsskin

I can't find automatic profile switching for preview/recording.
Or we never had it in 5dm3?

csound

Alpha 3 generally working well but there seems to be an issue with changing ISO while waveform monitor is turned on -
camera crashes every time.

Director

Hi Evre one

What do you advise me to

How to adjust the settings of the cinematic image

And how to adjust the setting "BODIE".

Thanks

JohnN

Payday approaches and I'd like to get playing with alpha 3, but before I can I have to find a cheap decent sized CF card that passes the test.

I'm based in the UK, any suggestions?

thanks.

Jakobmen

yo yo yo A1ex  ;D long time no chat =)   alpha 3 working pretty good on my 2 x 5d3s
Canon 5D3

nanomad

Quote from: Director on November 16, 2012, 06:27:48 PM
Hi Evre one

What do you advise me to

How to adjust the settings of the cinematic image

And how to adjust the setting "BODIE".

Thanks

You can ask the director yourself: http://www.neumannfilms.net/contact-us/
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5