Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

I have a script for defishing video, based on nona from Hugin. If there is interest, I can polish it and post it online.

Demo video:

RenatoPhoto

Wow!  That looks really good.  Does it run on Windows?  I think you should put a link on the User Guide, just like you did for the HDR video. 

I also hope to work on the raw image process for timelapse some day when I get this fishy video stuff working and then I will also hope you can add a link to your masterpiece in the ML User Guide.  All of this stuff really adds so much value to all the (amazing!) ML work you are doing.

So thanks for all the great work to all of the ML TEAM!  I am learning and improving my skills so much since I downloaded ML for 7D and 5DIII.

;D ;D ;D
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

mixmastermike

Quote from: a1ex on October 25, 2012, 08:45:29 PM
Nice, may I ask you to prepare a few test shots with it?

I'm thinking to post an alpha 2.1 these days (same feature set, but with some redraw bugs fixed).

No worries with test shots pm me whith any requests if work isnt too crazy this weekend Ill shoot some stuff.

Andrzej

Canon 5dm3, 550d, Canon 24-105mm 4.0 IS, Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 20mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm 4.0-5.6, Samyang 14mm 2.8, Falcon 85mm 1.4, Zeiss 180mm 2.8 and more...

tferradans

Quote from: a1ex on October 25, 2012, 08:45:29 PM
Nice, may I ask you to prepare a few test shots with it?

I'm thinking to post an alpha 2.1 these days (same feature set, but with some redraw bugs fixed).

Was this meant for me? Anyway, the answer is yes! :P

bumkicho

Am I crazy to speculate that the reason 5D MK III has pillar boxes around HDMI output is because that is what the sensor actually resolves. We all guessed 1080 mode resolves around 800 lines and of course, Canon will never admit to this. Maybe, just MAYBE, this clean HDMI firmware HAS TO include the sensor resolving more lines in order to output 1080 image.

Back to Alpha 2. Gradual ISO works great. With MK III's silent mode, it's quiet and smooth!

1%

At least on 600D the pillar boxes + overlay are drawn on.

The YUV buffer can be resized and at least clean SD hdmi is possible. Maybe HD too while not recording.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changeset/a11ebaaa526fb6cf83010db69252cb7d5b57aac4#general-comments

a1ex

QuoteWe all know 1080 mode resolves around 700 lines

Would you please post a reliable reference and stop talking nonsense?

1%

The YUV sizes are really close to HD, its only a few lines off. Just when not recording the buffer is ~1000x700 and scaled up/pillarboxed. Not a hardware issue except digic can't output HD size and record HD at the same time. I think the dual processor ones can.

bumkicho

Quote from: a1ex on October 26, 2012, 05:51:17 PM
Would you please post a reliable reference and stop talking nonsense?
It was reported (according to Philip Bloom) to be 800 lines not 700 lines, but Philip, himself, may have been given inaccurate info. I revised my post to reflect this.

Yes, I am stopping it right now.

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: Lcrusher on October 25, 2012, 08:14:46 PM
maybe the cpu cannot resize the image like s2 jpeg 25 times a second. I mean that's why the 1d has dual processors (for the burst).

The 300c has a different cpu.
I think it can get much closer anyway. closer than its current state. Also the 1d has dual digi 5s for 4k mjpeg 422 @ super 35 crop. surely the 5d3 could handle 1080 mjpeg @ a super 35 crop resolving 1000 lines. Couldnt it?

Sorry my aim was not to bash canon and i apologize for sounding that way. I got a lil to amped up i guess. I would just like know what the 5d3s potential really is. Canon reps say they want feed back and this seems to be a very loud request. Its hard not to want 1000 lines plus ML. I feel like the 5d2 opened a door for indie cinema, why try to shut it? thats all. i ment no harm i just feel in the dark about the 5d3s true potential. (of course not because of ML tho)

a1ex

The Nyquist limit is 960 lines and 5D3 has 890 lines according to this test: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-278877.html

I guess you won't be happy even after breaking some physics laws.

DTSET123

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on October 26, 2012, 07:12:09 PM
Canon reps say they want feed back and this seems to be a very loud request.

He has a point. If we completely stop bitching about Canon's business practices then they will think that they have done a good job getting 5diii out to the market. If consumer is not happy and Canon asks for feedback, then it makes total sense to let them know whats wrong- after all it effects their business. What guys that just arrive here don't understand is that this is not the place to do so. This is a development site and developers here don complain about the problem they are figuring out the problem.

hjfilmspeed

breaking physics laws would not make me happy, fully understanding the 5d3s true limits would.  im not trying to start any winey complaining sprees either. a part of figuring out solutions is also learning about the problem. thats all i was trying to do. The nyquist limit was and interesting read and i was unaware of these issues.

i gather from whats being said is that i should assume getting sharper video (gh2 or 3 or fs100 comparable) from the 5d3 is out of the question even for canon. thats fine as i too enjoy stills.

again im trying to understand the limitations of the 5d3 and at the same time ive also been testing ML on it as well. for now i guess its best to put to rest the resolution/sharpness/clearity issue with the 5d3 as i feel its doing more harm then good discussing it. It was absolutly not my intention to irritate or upset anyone or slow down progress with ML and if i have done this i am truly sory. My future posts (ML willing) will be connected to ML alpha testing only. Sory again.

nanomad

Nothing wrong with complaining, just open a thread under General or whatever. This is not the place

edit: any off topic post after this one will earn you a 24 hour ban. You have been warned.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

kikouyou

Alex

On the Magic Window Zoom box with Split screen option, the 2 split screen windows do not move to a non splitted image when on focus. this does not seem normal and may be a bug? I know that we have discussed that one earlier, but I am not sure I understood your response about the fact that these feature is not exactly working like a stigmometer.

Thank you

a1ex

Focus confirmation is only a heuristic and it's not 100% accurate. Feel free to suggest some better math for this.

mixmastermike

Quote from: nanomad on October 26, 2012, 09:06:19 PM
Nothing wrong with complaining, just open a thread under General or whatever. This is not the place

edit: any off topic post after this one will earn you a 24 hour ban. You have been warned.

Thank you!

Im really delighted with the work you guys put into this project and will help any way I can.

RenatoPhoto

I know that Canon switched the zoom button to the left but..  It would seem convienient to me if MAGIC ZOOM could be enabled by the old zoom button on the right, it is easier to use because my left hand is doing the manual focus and not conveniently available to press the canon zoom button. 
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

bumkicho

Quote from: mixmastermike on October 25, 2012, 08:24:41 PM
I got confirmation that my ninja 2 arrives this Friday by the end of day.

With respect to any comparisons we should look at Ill be happy to shoot some test shots.

For me any solution that improves the finished product is worth it as I shoot stills and video and I would rather have a quick transfer time to my edit suite and be able to shoot stills with the same camera. A lot to ask I know but I believe we have a great chance of getting there with the talent working on this project.

I would be interested in knowing the frame rate of HDMI (60i? 30p in 60i wrapper? etc.) and what is the size of actual image when crop it to remove borders. Also if you could make a short comparison clip downloadable, that would be appreciated.

a1ex

The old zoom button shares the same code with lots of other things (M-Fn, back wheel, lock, DOF and so on). So... lots of false triggers.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: a1ex on October 26, 2012, 11:00:02 PM
The old zoom button shares the same code with lots of other things (M-Fn, back wheel, lock, DOF and so on). So... lots of false triggers.

I noticed on 7D the Magic Zoom is enabled by other options like the shutter button.  Will these options be standarized?  I like the shutter option.  Also like the focus ring but it does not work yet on 5D3.

Thanks

a1ex

Each camera has its quirks. Focus ring works only with lenses that report focus distance (I don't have any such lens compatible with 5D3).

mixmastermike

Quote from: bumkicho on October 26, 2012, 10:58:44 PM
I would be interested in knowing the frame rate of HDMI (60i? 30p in 60i wrapper? etc.) and what is the size of actual image when crop it to remove borders. Also if you could make a short comparison clip downloadable, that would be appreciated.

Currently sat on sofa waiting for UPS! Ill do some shooting and upload to vimeo over the weekend.

Im not sure how the Ninja 2 works yet, so as for frame rate any tips on how to obtain this is welcome.

DTSET123

Quote from: mixmastermike on October 26, 2012, 11:34:29 PM

Im not sure how the Ninja 2 works yet,

It seems that most of us don't know how that thing works = all eyes on you :) Waiting for your report!  Thank you!