Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur Rambo

Thank you !!!
Great release once again. Smooth transitions is already a favorite of mine !

Would it be possible to record video to card 1, and let say images on card 2 ?
Be able to change volume level recording on left channel and right channel separately ?
Keep the crop marks during playback ?

Watch out Canon, ML is here !!!!!

1%

I just see no point in releasing new cameras and not adding new features. Everyone else tries to push in their products. How can you push hardware and say screw it to software. We don't have to copy their code, the features would be implemented all different.

HDMI out should have been 1080p from the get go, otherwise why even spend the money on the HDMI processing and the connector. Just who needs not HDMI the way it is now? Its not just that you can't record from it, its that its just as blurry as the SD out. Even if they left off 4:2:2 they should still have kept it real size in idle. I don't think it will ever work while recording because of hardware limitations (esp, digic IV). We'll never be a C300 because the 30 minute limit appears hard-coded and the cameras overheat. The crop sensors and even the full frames aren't like a full professional camcorder. Genlock and things like that are also hard to implement within what the hardware can do. The DSLRs can only complement and moonlight as cinema cameras. 

In fact, C300 and others can't do what things like red/arri/bmcc can at lower/similar prices. 1DC will be their first effort but it seems a bit late. People are recording uncompressed from GH2 right now. How many GH2s + recorders can you buy for 1 5dIII? How can they be mad about features they don't have and don't really sell. CHDK gives raw to point and shoots and they're still selling the DSLRs. They need to give full HDMI to all cameras going back as far as 550D. 5dIII should be shooting 2k with full clean HDMI at the price its selling anything less and people will go elsewhere at this point unless their main focus is stills. But how long before that goes to nikon or someone else?

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: 1% on October 24, 2012, 11:37:17 PM
I just see no point in releasing new cameras and not adding new features. Everyone else tries to push in their products. How can you push hardware and say screw it to software. We don't have to copy their code, the features would be implemented all different.

HDMI out should have been 1080p from the get go, otherwise why even spend the money on the HDMI processing and the connector. Just who needs not HDMI the way it is now? Its not just that you can't record from it, its that its just as blurry as the SD out. Even if they left off 4:2:2 they should still have kept it real size in idle. I don't think it will ever work while recording because of hardware limitations (esp, digic IV). We'll never be a C300 because the 30 minute limit appears hard-coded and the cameras overheat. The crop sensors and even the full frames aren't like a full professional camcorder. Genlock and things like that are also hard to implement within what the hardware can do. The DSLRs can only complement and moonlight as cinema cameras. 

In fact, C300 and others can't do what things like red/arri/bmcc can at lower/similar prices. 1DC will be their first effort but it seems a bit late. People are recording uncompressed from GH2 right now. How many GH2s + recorders can you buy for 1 5dIII? How can they be mad about features they don't have and don't really sell. CHDK gives raw to point and shoots and they're still selling the DSLRs. They need to give full HDMI to all cameras going back as far as 550D. 5dIII should be shooting 2k with full clean HDMI at the price its selling anything less and people will go elsewhere at this point unless their main focus is stills. But how long before that goes to nikon or someone else?

Yes 1000000000000000% agree! I should have waited to see reviews first. i was under the impression the all-i feature was gunna rock. oh well. Just a pro still cam to me. I really was hoping for more "pow!" from the 5d3. especialy after seeing what hd realy should look like. sorry but thats how i feel.

This is an interesting read by the way:
http://www.eoshd.com/content/9140/interview-with-canons-mike-burnhill-on-the-canon-1d-c-4k-dslr

1%

Panasonic's thoughts on GH2 hacks:

- It's like a great car--you just want to soup it up and do even more with it.
Darin Pepple, Senior Product Marketing Manager, Imaging at Panasonic Consumer Electronics Co.

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: 1% on October 25, 2012, 12:18:15 AM
Panasonic's thoughts on GH2 hacks:

- It's like a great car--you just want to soup it up and do even more with it.
Darin Pepple, Senior Product Marketing Manager, Imaging at Panasonic Consumer Electronics Co.
Thank you exactly!  And the gh2 resolves great as is! ugggg please canon! canon u imagine ML plus 5d3 plus 1000 lines---> joy overload! haha

1%

I read that linked interview.

Quote4K is still in the early stages of growth

Bullshit, what is the resolution of scanned film?

While they did hack MB up a bit and ask the tough questions, he doesn't seem to like his users very much unlike Panasonic.

bumkicho

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on October 25, 2012, 12:36:59 AM

Thank you exactly!  And the gh2 resolves great as is! ugggg please canon! canon u imagine ML plus 5d3 plus 1000 lines---> joy overload! haha
Maybe that's what Canon is working on. I hope we are not waiting 6 months for just removing overlays and pillar boxes. One can hope, right?

hjfilmspeed

Right! i hope! also i agree 1% that eoshd.com is a lil harsh against canon at times. they seem a lil jaded. But they do dig up some interesting stuff. a1ex is also right. canon does listen. but they do so just a lil at a time. its like sd cards. they need to make as much money off them as possible other wise we would see 2tb sd cards on the market for the price of 16 giggers. in the same token panasonic seems to listen more i guess. gh3 with 1080 60p or gopro hero 3 with 2k? the market is so crazy right now. And dont say "then buy a gh3" I like the look of the 5d3 and the low light abilities are a force to be reckoned with. But why have all that then top it off with poo rez. there must be a way to better sample the image. look at its s2 jpeg. tack sharp! true 1000 lines makes a hudge difference not only in natural sharpness but it grades way better too! if there is noise its much finer as well. Im not asking for 4444 sony f35 65 raw intense 3D core what ever just a naturally sharp images. And please why say 90mbs if more then half the time it sits at like 30 or so. It should have been ibp codec for (consumers or realy long shoots) and then a pro codec outside of h.264 but inside its processing power. oh boy another rant of mine. Im gunna get kicked out of here huh. :o  Again none of this i expect from ML. They have done plenty in my opinion.

bumkicho

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on October 25, 2012, 04:06:42 AM
Right! i hope! also i agree 1% that eoshd.com is a lil harsh against canon at times. they seem a lil jaded. But they do dig up some interesting stuff. a1ex is also right. canon does listen. but they do so just a lil at a time. its like sd cards. they need to make as much money off them as possible other wise we would see 2tb sd cards on the market for the price of 16 giggers. in the same token panasonic seems to listen more i guess. gh3 with 1080 60p or gopro hero 3 with 2k? the market is so crazy right now. And dont say "then buy a gh3" I like the look of the 5d3 and the low light abilities are a force to be reckoned with. But why have all that then top it off with poo rez. there must be a way to better sample the image. look at its s2 jpeg. tack sharp! true 1000 lines makes a hudge difference not only in natural sharpness but it grades way better too! if there is noise its much finer as well. Im not asking for 4444 sony f35 65 raw intense 3D core what ever just a naturally sharp images. And please why say 90mbs if more then half the time it sits at like 30 or so. It should have been ibp codec for (consumers or realy long shoots) and then a pro codec outside of h.264 but inside its processing power. oh boy another rant of mine. Im gunna get kicked out of here huh. :o  Again none of this i expect from ML. They have done plenty in my opinion.
I agree 100% about the resolution. I also would rather have better resolution than HDMI. I am not sure if resolution can be changed through a firmware update, but hopefully, I mean, HOPEFULLY, that is a part of improvement that will come after 6 months.

hjfilmspeed

And i realy think canon should also add a type of "canon log" profile to the 5d3 as well. IMO canon should make dedicated products with clear cut descriptions of what there capable of instead of a billion broad and vague products. ok i swear im done for now.

Back to Alpha 2. Ive loaded it a bunch of times with custom canon settings and have yet to experience a lock up. Love the grad expose to so smooth. Great work!

Lcrusher

Guys, do you think 422 in 8bit will help with the grading? Greenscreen - yes. But grading? I'm really not sure. I've tested some d800 footage compared to the ninja. Even with it's lower bitrate if holds up pretty nicely. 422 10bit - now that's cool ;)

DTSET123

Quote from: Lcrusher on October 25, 2012, 10:27:46 AM
Guys, do you think 422 in 8bit will help with the grading? Greenscreen - yes. But grading? I'm really not sure. I've tested some d800 footage compared to the ninja. Even with it's lower bitrate if holds up pretty nicely. 422 10bit - now that's cool ;)

That's what I'm thinking too.  How much of a difference will it make? Does it worth spending extra $1,000? Can some one share their experience with Ninja and 8 bit 422 vs 420.

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: DTSET123 on October 25, 2012, 10:39:46 AM
That's what I'm thinking too.  How much of a difference will it make? Does it worth spending extra $1,000? Can some one share their experience with Ninja and 8 bit 422 vs 420.
Right well the only thing i could liken it to is the c300 and thats 422 8bit which looks amazing but again if they dont fix the rez output then to me its not worth it at all.

it would be much smarter to just up the rez in camera 1st. then people will be able to invest that 1000+ $ in canon glass instead. After seeing what hd should look like you realy long for it and if your going to put blood sweat and tears into your projects no dought you want the rez you were told youd get. im not sure how you round up slightly over 720p to 1080p. just not cool in my book. not for $3500 Ive sent this to canon. we all should!

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: a1ex on September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Features:
- Anamorphic and fisheye correction

Will defishing be available to recording.  Now it only shows in LV and does not show in HDMI?
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

nanomad

It's pointless, you can defish in post-production with much better results
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Well the 8 bit, 4:2:2 will help and is possible in camera once untethered MJPEG is figured out. Its better than nothing. All of these cameras have resolution <1080P. What is the real line count on C300?

Want to test how much better it is? Record a 1080p clip and take a silent pic while recording. Match the 2 frames and grade them.

hjfilmspeed

Exactly 1% I did a strait up comparison between all-i 1080 and a s2 jpegs at 6fps (down sampled in camera but sequenced in 24p time line in post) NIGHT AND DAY! The rez is there, its just a matter of achiveing that at 24p. from all these benchmark tests it seems like the 5d3s got the power. maybe my math is off but i feel like canon could totaly provide a 1080 mjpeg on the 5d3. even if we went back to shorter clip lengths. heck id take a few minutes of that at this point. This is not a feature i expect from ML as i said they have done enough. i would expect it from canon.

Lcrusher

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on October 25, 2012, 07:27:06 PM
Exactly 1% I did a strait up comparison between all-i 1080 and a s2 jpegs at 6fps (down sampled in camera but sequenced in 24p time line in post) NIGHT AND DAY! The rez is there, its just a matter of achiveing that at 24p. from all these benchmark tests it seems like the 5d3s got the power. maybe my math is off but i feel like canon could totaly provide a 1080 mjpeg on the 5d3. even if we went back to shorter clip lengths. heck id take a few minutes of that at this point. This is not a feature i expect from ML as i said they have done enough. i would expect it from canon.

maybe the cpu cannot resize the image like s2 jpeg 25 times a second. I mean that's why the 1d has dual processors (for the burst).

The 300c has a different cpu.

mixmastermike

I got confirmation that my ninja 2 arrives this Friday by the end of day.

With respect to any comparisons we should look at Ill be happy to shoot some test shots.

For me any solution that improves the finished product is worth it as I shoot stills and video and I would rather have a quick transfer time to my edit suite and be able to shoot stills with the same camera. A lot to ask I know but I believe we have a great chance of getting there with the talent working on this project.

tferradans

Gradual exposure is one of the most useful and unexpected things I've seen in ML so far. A great feature that gives us a lot more of control in a same shot with different lighting environments!

I've tested the Alpha with lots of Canon and M42 lenses, as well as a little anamorphic work.

The LV squeeze is awesome, but it has some little problems, like, when combined with focus peaking, the peaking remains on the unsqueezed points of the image (sometimes against a black background). Also, would be great if the squeeze could be applied in Play mode as well. It does help a lot when reviewing a take to decide whether we do another one, or move to the next shot. :D

Once again, congratulations, guys! You rock.

a1ex

Nice, may I ask you to prepare a few test shots with it?

I'm thinking to post an alpha 2.1 these days (same feature set, but with some redraw bugs fixed).

Andrzej

Canon 5dm3 is giving us about 33% less pixels. 1080 is aprox. 700 and 720 is doing 500.
This is not as it should be at the price of 3500$ + lens + batteries + CF-s . . .
And they put "full hd" info on the box. WTF??? It is HD in FHD container! And 25p :(
Iam very disappointed user. There will be more if Canon dont do anything about this. 
Canon 5dm3, 550d, Canon 24-105mm 4.0 IS, Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 20mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm 4.0-5.6, Samyang 14mm 2.8, Falcon 85mm 1.4, Zeiss 180mm 2.8 and more...

a1ex

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: nanomad on October 25, 2012, 06:29:26 PM
It's pointless, you can defish in post-production with much better results

I have been reading about Avisynth but there is no straight forward solution.  Learning curve seems pretty steep. 

Maybe Alex has develoved a zip package with all the goodies and scripts to do the math..  I love the stuff he did for  HDR video, it is really amazing and it took me a few days of work to be albe to do the same on Vegas Pro 12!  My hat off to Alex and his knowledge of scripting and the software packages required to do the work. 
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X