Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lcrusher

Quote from: mixmastermike on October 23, 2012, 12:34:15 AM

If anyone has any advice or thoughts for the tests I'm all ears, it should be here this weekend or early next week at the latest.

Try recording something with bright red colors, zoom in and compare it with the files from the CF. Try recording something in zoom mode on different iso. Also try recording with and without the CF. Would be nice if you uploaded the files so everyone could play with them.
I tried to do the tests yesterday but turned out my blackmagic was faulty :)

dude

Hi guys, you checked this: The next Canon Firmware Update will include clean HDMI UNCOMPRESSED out.

Lcrusher

Quote from: dude on October 23, 2012, 04:00:01 PM
Hi guys, you checked this: The next Canon Firmware Update will include clean HDMI UNCOMPRESSED out.
is it april fools already?

The new firmware update will be available, at no charge, in April 2013 from the Canon U.S.A. website and can be downloaded by end users or through Canon Factory Service Centers.

neo

ogo! :o

- Tell what working temperature? it seems to me that at temperature 191 and above Cenon goes mad :(

hjfilmspeed

I read the announcment on canons site about clean uncompressed hdmi. but why april 2013! by then ML will probably have the 5d3 recording uncompressed to the cf card ha ha. April 2013 thats all they got? very lame in my opion.

a1ex

They need to test it properly, not like us ;)

nanomad

And judging by the timeframe, this isn't a feature they planned in the first place :/
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Lcrusher

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on October 23, 2012, 06:27:11 PM
I read the announcment on canons site about clean uncompressed hdmi. but why april 2013! by then ML will probably have the 5d3 recording uncompressed to the cf card ha ha. April 2013 thats all they got? very lame in my opion.

link to the official site please :)

found it sorry http://usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon/newsroom?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e024806daf9c

Kabuto1138

I wonder how much of this announcement (6 months in advance) has to do with the work you guys are doing.  Why not announce it just before launching it?  they were feeling the heat for sure. 

6 months tells me they are trying to figure it out, hope to bump up the sales and hold the sales towards other cameras BMC, the LEICA coming out around that time etc.

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: a1ex on October 23, 2012, 06:33:10 PM
They need to test it properly, not like us ;)
yeah right alpha 2 is working great fro me! i plan to donate asap! also i believe that canon is feeling the heat from ML.
Quote from: a1ex on October 23, 2012, 07:10:04 PM
www.nikon.com ;)
haha!

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: Kabuto1138 on October 23, 2012, 07:47:44 PM
I wonder how much of this announcement (6 months in advance) has to do with the work you guys are doing.  Why not announce it just before launching it?  they were feeling the heat for sure. 

6 months tells me they are trying to figure it out, hope to bump up the sales and hold the sales towards other cameras BMC, the LEICA coming out around that time etc.
ML should just start posting all sorts of stuff. then canon will will have more announcments to make ;) jk

mixmastermike

Well Cannon April 2013 just isn't going to cut it for clean hdmi...

In my opinion this is a fatal error by you business strategy team, they should all be fired.

The Mayan Calendar has already told us the world is going to end in December, why would I wait till 2013 when Ill be dead. In fact I better start filming now otherwise how ever will I pay for my Homer Simpson like beer addiction....

Do we have any users called cannon reading this forum...

a1ex

QuoteML should just start posting all sorts of stuff. then canon will will have more announcments to make ;)

Such as... cease and desist letters?

hjfilmspeed

If canon is reading then they would be wise to add 1000 lines of hd (as advertised) to the 5d3 befor they add umcompressed hdmi. In april theyll tell you, in small print, that the hdmi only records to a special canon recorder that costs 15k. ugg canon makes me so frustrated right now. ML ROCKS!
Quote from: a1ex on October 23, 2012, 08:35:41 PM
Such as... cease and desist letters?
Then ML lovers everywhere will rally against the tryrant! >:( jk
i know i know i realize my demands are not realistic im just spoiled now. and again I LOVE ML and i would not want that. Thank you again!

mclein

Hi Guys,
this morning i was very happy to receive the news of clean HDMI output!
I ask a suggestion.. in case the new ML will be capable of increasing bitrate,
do you think a 90mb/sec or 600x CF card is enough to increase the bitrate considerably?
i am travelling close to USA and i can do some shopping..

thanks!

hjfilmspeed

squig

Quote from: mixmastermike on October 23, 2012, 08:21:36 PM

The Mayan Calendar has already told us the world is going to end in December, why would I wait till 2013 when Ill be dead.

Hehe, so what does it matter if you shoot it all in 4:2:2? Nobody is going to be around to watch your nicely graded film.

gideonplus

I have the Alpha 2 on the SD Card and had the firmware updated
but the text of magic lentern is smaged and not readable,
otherwise on video mode I can see the audio bars and histogram working.
Any idea what is going on please ?

1%

So umm... beat them to it? Their customers demand it. Then we compare implementation and see whose is better?

QuoteSuch as... cease and desist letters?

From what indy says and CHDK's actions I have doubts. And Canon: feel free to copy/better my code, please. I just want better and more popular cameras, holy crap you'll make money that way and even have some of mine. Listen to your customers and release a fully featured software product that fully utilises your hardware. Not next year, this year for all your cameras. But I'm not holding my breath, I should even say I'll cook up and eat my shoe like Werner Herzog.

mclein

i got no reply.. but i could t resist and i bought a lexar pro 1000x, if it will be possible to increase the bitrate this card would help.
I am wondering how many stops more of dynamic range you can get when you process an uncompressed hdmi signal..
any clue?

a1ex

QuoteAnd Canon: feel free to copy/better my code, please.

That was actually Trammell's dream when he started the project: "It would really please me if Canon incorporated all of the features from Magic Lantern into their firmware." ( http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=403 ). Of course, it's very nice to see them listening to customers (even if they can do better).

A lot of ML tweaks were disabled on 5D3 because they are simply not needed, Canon already did them (e.g. fast playback zoom, or movie recording with shutter button).

My point was that we shouldn't push things too much - if we start to turn the 5D3 into a C300, for example, their attitude may change to "hostile". We already have a golden rule: whatever we do, we don't copy Canon code in our software. So if Canon adds feature X, this doesn't mean that we'll copy it to the other cameras.

neo

hjfilmspeed

I totaly agree with a1ex on this one. I am not deffinetly not looking to turn the 5d3 into a c300 tho. it just would have been nice for canon to have seperated from the pack lil and give the 5d3 1000 lines. even if it did it at super 35 crop. im not trying to badger canon cuz i like shooting with my 5d3 i just want to love shooting with it. the fact that il have to buy a recorder and batteries and rigging when i could be focusing on lenses is making me like it less. I think it would have much been wiser for canon just to focus on the in camera recording first. and im not asking these things of ML either im asking them of canon. If your going to put something in the works by april, canon, please let it be a better codec or something not just hdmi stuff. its a mini hdmi anyways and seems kinda scary to record off of. maybe im way out of line but it just seems there are more simple ways of pleasing the 5d3 crowd and this would drive there lense sales more too.  :-\

bumkicho

What is the frame rate out of HDMI? Is it true 60i?