Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrEdmondDantes

Quote from: dude on October 21, 2012, 10:48:31 AM
Now that I am back from travel I will test it more accurately than I was able on tour.
I also had no green bars on magic zoom, peaking causes a red bar on the left of the screen.
I will film today and see what comes next.
Pretty stable by the way!! I remember some troubles with the first 550 versions, really good job, I really appreciate that!
Oh- when I did th card benchmark the cam turned off after a while an I had to wake it up, there was no text about the speed. Maybe I did something wrong, check it again later

Alpha 2 is awesome, can't imagine needing anything else out of this camera (aside from maybe higher bitrates or mjpeg codecs, but I know this is a hail mary).  All of the features seem to work for me except the "magic zoom" green bars.  Would be awesome to have them, but with focus peaking and magic zoom both enabled it's easy to switch between the two and utilize them individually.  Really great work here. 

I like that it doesn't autoload too by the way.  It makes me feel like it's less dangerous.  If possible, I would love to never have to autoload.  Even in an "official" release.  I can't believe Canon doesn't pay you guys.   Absurd.  I'm emailing them now. 

neo

Hey Alex,
thank you so much for your great work.

CF x133 16gb Ok? :)

ilguercio

I guess so, my card is 400x and i can do almost 30Mb/s max on my 50D so i guess yours is a good result.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

neo

nanomad

Well, unless you have a 1000x your result is pretty good actually
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

smp

Gradual iso worked great also. It was very smooth. Only issue I had with it was it didn't seem to matter that I had set iso limit to 6400. Still I can this feature will become your friend if you are a docu/event shooter.

+1  Worked so well started giggling like a little schoolgirl!!
+1 Still experimenting with the Peaking options (which I adore) Testing on a 100mm Macro - Wow!!! 
Same thing with green bars on zoom but candidly with peaking this good... 

Seriously you guys.. All this AND the 7D simultaneously?!?! Wow, thank you, thank you, thank you.  I've renamed my kid Magic and my dog Lantern.  (ok not really, but I did giggle like a schoolgirl) ;) ;)

Damn Canon for moving the bloody zoom to the left...

a1ex

What's the point for limiting the gradual ISO limits? (since it's manual...)

smp

No point at all in my opinion - Went from bright daylight to under a desk to 12,800 and still looked great! THATS pretty darn awesome!

bumkicho

Quote from: a1ex on October 22, 2012, 03:45:09 PM
What's the point for limiting the gradual ISO limits? (since it's manual...)
Having this gradual ISO and ISO limit work together will enable the usage of auto ISO when necessary.

There are times I have to go in and out of a place. When I do, not only I have to attach/detach a variable ND filter, but also I have to adjust ISO quite often. Point is, if gradual ISO works with hard limit I set (100-6400), then I can set it to Auto ISO, turn gradual ISO turned on, and I am pretty much free to go in and out.

I think it would be great if possible.

BTW, with peaking, magic zoom, and zebra, I have no need for an evf! Thank you!

a1ex

Gradual ISO is only manual - it actually turns off when you enable auto ISO.

bumkicho

Quote from: a1ex on October 22, 2012, 05:19:46 PM
Gradual ISO is only manual - it actually turns off when you enable auto ISO.

Ahh.. my mistake. I thought this gradual ISO was to enhance and smooth out even in auto iso mode.
I will test this feature again in manual ISO with silent control on. Thanks.

squig

A lot of users are asking about the clean HDMI out. Alex can you clarify whether it is pre or post compression?

a1ex

As mentioned in release notes - overlays are erased, nothing more. The rest is up to you to find out.

mixmastermike

Not sure if this is going to work but I had the chance to run a speed test on a 1000x cf card.

The write speed is pretty impressive.

Big thanks to mnteddy for help with the image insert!

mixmastermike

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the update on the HDMI, Ive just ordered an Atomos Ninja 2 to test the HDMI.

If anyone has any advice or thoughts for the tests I'm all ears, it should be here this weekend or early next week at the latest.

Is it just a case of we don't know if its uncompressed, is the only way to tell to do some recording?

Thanks again all for your hard work. To be able to sell my plastic GH2 and just use the 5D mkiii would be a pleasure!

odlan

1%

1000X card is almost 2x speed of SD cameras, wow.

mixmastermike

Hey Odlan,

Nice speeds!I have a question for ya, was the CF card the only one installed in the 5d? or did you have a SD installed as well?

Thanks

hjfilmspeed

So far every things working for me! Love it!
I have a question. Does the alpha version completely leave the camera when you turn it off. i have to send it into canon soon.

odlan

hi,
Magic Lantern on Samsung sd. Anyway the benchmark is performed whitout liveview running.
In liview mode the result of the test is identical to your.

mixmastermike

thanks I was wondering about the set up and difference in speed.

ivoborkus

Hello guys,

maybe this is a very stupid question. I own a 5dMIII and would love to run ML alpha 2 , but when i download this from the link in the first post I think it misses some files. I ownly see  the map ML / ml-5D3-113.fir and userguide.pdf. There is no execute bin files or whatever this guys says on youtube. My camera is on firmware 1.3, formatted the card like all the steps you and the youtube movies says.

I looked up on youtube how to install it, but they have much more files. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe someone could please help me.

Ivo

a1ex

QuoteAm I doing something wrong?
Yes, you are trusting the guys on youtube more than our install guide.

FYI, Magic Lantern was not written by the guys on youtube.

odlan

Quote from: ivoborkus on October 23, 2012, 10:50:36 AM
Hello guys,

maybe this is a very stupid question. I own a 5dMIII and would love to run ML alpha 2 , but when i download this from the link in the first post I think it misses some files. I ownly see  the map ML / ml-5D3-113.fir and userguide.pdf. There is no execute bin files or whatever this guys says on youtube. My camera is on firmware 1.3, formatted the card like all the steps you and the youtube movies says.

I looked up on youtube how to install it, but they have much more files. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe someone could please help me.

Ivo

Simply
1- Format your card in fat32
2- Download magiclantern-5D3.113.alpha2.zip on your desktop
3- Unzip magiclantern-5D3.113.alpha2.zip on your desktop
4- Move in the new folder magiclantern-5D3.113.alpha2 on your desktop
5- Copy all the files and folder, as they are, in your card
6- Remove your card from your computer and insert in your Canon 5D Mark III
7- Turn on your Canon
8- Move in Canon menu and do firmware update