Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

It's not in this alpha for safety reasons, but in the source code it's enabled on the RATE button.

JoeRender

Is there any chance for a 1920x1080 (16:9) clean hdmi out on the 5dMkIII?

swinxx

great.

perhaps its also possible to implement some preview for 1.5 crop factor :) as for usage with an iscorama lens..

thank you.. that firmware looks really promising.

re

nanomad

You can create a custom cropmark for that
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

swinxx

hello alex,

i mean, that the image will be unsqueezed like the anamorph 1:2..
iscoramas have a squeeze factor of 1.5

thank you.
greeets. rene

a1ex

mikimiki85

My 5D Mark III is very hot after 15 minutes of magic lantern,
CMOS Temperat: 196
is that many?

rosso_corsa

This is AMAZING. Just loaded it this morning and tried the HDR Video. Flawless. This is so, so, so awesome. Thank you so MUCH for the quick Alpha 2 release.

Very patiently waiting for autoboot. :) I looked in the 7D thread but couldn't find the reason for no autoboot? Could someone reiterate it for me pls?

a1ex

Nice!

The reason for not enabling autoboot (and most photo features that require properties) is that it changes the ROM contents. Considering the camera price... it's not something funny.

Sure, most USB controller apps change properties as well, but I've experienced bad things - see http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unbricking

rosso_corsa

Thanks Alex. So this is primarily a safety pre-caution, until enough collective testing mileage has been done?

aaphotog

I read that alpha 2 will supply uncompressed feed out of the HDMI port at 2.35:1 is this correct?

aaphotog

Also, is there a way to format the card with the Alpha build? Or do we have to delete the images one by one(or on our computers)? I dont see the option to format the card while keeping magic lantern(in the camera)

rosso_corsa

The way I do it is to use a small SD card (512MB in my case) to store ML files and record all production clips to the CF card. This way you don't have to rely on any fancy formatting of the cards.

I also added the firmware update menu item to my Quick menu. So it's a quick load when I boot up.

bumkicho

Alex,

Is there any way to set iso limit with gradual iso turned on? If no, would it be possible in the future version?

CaptainHook

Quote from: rosso_corsa on October 21, 2012, 01:32:53 AMI also added the firmware update menu item to my Quick menu. So it's a quick load when I boot up.
I already have a separate SD card just for ML and record to CF's.. but the above is an obvious and good idea that slipped me by, thanks! Also, a warning to others to check which card is being used often.. i had one instance where my card filled up much sooner than i expected only to realize it had been recording onto the SD card instead of the CF!!  :-[
About to test Alpha2, thanks again ML team!

CaptainHook

Had a quick play with Alpha 2 just now, very cool! Thanks Alex and ML team!

A few things i noticed (if they've already been noted i apologize!):

• Crop marks on playback - setting my DP6 to "C Playback" and the cropmarks appear to be scaled correctly now (except for maybe a pixel width alongside the sides not long enough), until i navigate the playback controls and actually hit play. You end up with the old view of the cropmarks not scaled properly and on occasion i had the top of the new scaling PLUS the old scaling being drawn simultaneously.

• Focus Peak - if i change from "blinking dots" to "fine dots" it ignores my selection of colour and stays red, plus the left side of frame tends to light up with red dots for no apparent reason - Not sure if the red colour is intended or not, just reporting incase. :)

• Magic zoom - disabled via HDMI - has this always been the case with ML? Would love to use it with my DP6 but understand if it's not really possible. I did notice with magic zoom that when not recording the overlaid zoom image appeared fine, but when i hit record it would start to flicker a little on and off. Nothing dramatic but enough to be distracting. To be expected? I ran with CPU usage being displayed and it actually uses less CPU (during recording) when i turned on magic zoom since peaking gets disabled which seems to use much more CPU. Also a feature request, what are the chances of a mode where if you move the focus ring the magic zoom appears, then timeouts to disappear after focusing is left for a bit? (probably requested/implemented before and i apologize if so - i'm new to ML!)

• REC/STBY Notif - Red crossout - stays on screen even when record is pressed. REC/STBY mode - when pressing record the red box and "REC" only cover the "TBY" of "STBY" overlay so you see "SREC" with a red box around "REC".

Only things i've played with so far and have to get back to work now, but if this has all been covered before then i apologize again! If video footage of any of this would help, please let me know!

Thanks again all!

mixmastermike

Really awesome work to all involved!

I have once question, will the clean hdmi out allow external recording via, say an atmos ninja or ninja 2?

OK so maybe two questions.

Is that one way we get around the codec issues and low bit rates and unleash the ability of the sensor.

Im a 'newb' when it comes to this stuff but it seems to make sense in my head lol

Donation on the way!

csound

Alpha 2 is generally great but noticed green bars in magic zoom don't seem to be working.

CaptainHook

Quote from: csound on October 21, 2012, 08:56:20 AM
Alpha 2 is generally great but noticed green bars in magic zoom don't seem to be working.
I noticed that too but it was my first time using magic zoom so wasn't sure if it was user error or not.

dude

Now that I am back from travel I will test it more accurately than I was able on tour.
I also had no green bars on magic zoom, peaking causes a red bar on the left of the screen.
I will film today and see what comes next.
Pretty stable by the way!! I remember some troubles with the first 550 versions, really good job, I really appreciate that!
Oh- when I did th card benchmark the cam turned off after a while an I had to wake it up, there was no text about the speed. Maybe I did something wrong, check it again later

blueranger1980

Just did an HDR test.  Has anyone else experienced blinking video continues when the video has been transferred to Adobe Premiere?  Is there a step i am missing?

Nicolai1227

Hey Alex,

thank you so much for your great work.

I was lookig for another post of the Issue that ML is gone after turning the Carmera off oder taking the CF Card out.

I put the Alpha 2 on the SD Card. If I reinstall ML the Settings of ML are still Saved.

Thanks

nanomad

It's not an issue, it's a feature. The alphas have autoboot off but still store ML settings to the CF (?) card
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

rosso_corsa

Quote from: blueranger1980 on October 21, 2012, 10:46:50 PM
Just did an HDR test.  Has anyone else experienced blinking video continues when the video has been transferred to Adobe Premiere?  Is there a step i am missing?

Did you read the user guide? You need to use the AviSynth / Virtual Dub workflow to separate the two different exposures into different streams, recombine them as a new HDR stream, and then interpret those stills as video. This doesn't happen automagically.