Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Well... if we knew what we are doing it wouldn't be called research ;)

If I'll be able to reprogram the DMA in order to write sensor data to a file, that means zero overhead in the recording process, so benchmark numbers should be accurate.

sicetime

I forget where, but I remember reading somewhere about starting a kickstarter, I personally think having a fundraising campaign would be a great idea, and open the floor to a broader spectrum of people who can donate.

Is that still on the table?

nanomad

Yes, and the answer was: we don't need it.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

sicetime

So should I start investing in some 1000x lexars?

a1ex

Just a little reminder for the testing form. I only have 12 answers. There are people who reported problems, but I can't reproduce any.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?pli=1&formkey=dFRxbGZlUHYyOHB6SDZWZFVpUlVRTUE6MA#gid=0

robertdouglas

Done ! Haven't saw the spreadsheet before your post, hope more people will answer it

mbresle

No problems so far.  It's been a positive user experience since I figured out how to work ML, and even though I'm a novice, I have not had any features in the Alpha not work nor any problems with my camera.

th65

smp

Likewise - Minimal use due to schedule but no lockups, no failures, no glitches when we did. Thought I loved ML on the 5D2 but wow... peaking on the 5D3 is heavenly. Whaddaya say kids.. Magic Zoom?? Zoom button? Thx all!!

RenatoPhoto

Still working well, no issues.  Waiting for Alpha 2 with donation!
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

t3sk3y

I've also used Alpha 1 with no unusual results or lockups.  I used on 3 different occasions while on a paid video shoot and it did exactly as expected.

-Mark.

a1ex

Nice. I'll try to prepare the alpha 2 next week.

HDMI is causing trouble - anyone needs 720p? I hope not.

wintix

Quote from: a1ex on October 11, 2012, 04:51:46 PM

great!
nope, not really. everything is headed for high-res anyway

mnteddy

Are you referring to 720p HDMI output? Versus 1080i?

vitafab

Hi guys,
i'm currently shooting a movie with the mark iii and a d800.
ML is helping me so much as usual, but one thing that i don't like about the mark iii compare to the d800 is the fact that when you plug an HDMI monitor the picture goes away on the LCD so i need two monitor with a splitter to give the feed to the director. The d800 doesn't have this issue.
Is because of the clean HDMI? there is any chance to have it working in the next 2 weeks?
Thanks again for the amazing work you're guys are doing.
Cheers
Fabio

nanomad

That's how the HDMI chip works as far as we know... it re-routes the signal from the LCD to the HDMI port
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

bumkicho

a1ex says "HDMI is causing TROUBLE" and I think "he must be looking at clean HDMI out, YYYYEEEESSSSS!!!!"
Ha ha ha, does anyone else get excited whenever a1ex says the word "HDMI"?

a1ex

I'm talking about basic ML functionality on HDMI - like zebras aligned with the image etc.

mnteddy

Quote from: a1ex on October 12, 2012, 03:30:24 PM
I'm talking about basic ML functionality on HDMI - like zebras aligned with the image etc.

I haven't had a chance to fill out the survey yet, but here's the only issue I've had on my last 4 full day shoots. I've been using alpha one almost exclusive via HDMI with my SmalHD DP6. Everything I've tested works great; audio meters, fast zebras, focus assist, histogram, vectrascope, an even the manually enabled "Not recording" warning. Here'a what I've had enabled on my long day shoots: "not recording" warning, audio meters, histogram (with gradual warning), and LumaFast Zebras over 99%. The only time I have a problem is when I leave the camera on but power cycle my monitor. When the monitor comes back up, the 16x9 crop bars scale down a bit, slightly covering what should be the proper visible area and revealing part of what's actually not recording.

See this photo showing what I'm saying.

Other than that, I've had no alignment issues with any of the features (zebras, focus assist, etc).

Edit: I should add that to get around this, I simply reload the ML firmware.

a1ex

In 1080p it's fine, but in 720p, on my dp6 it's completely distorted.

Thanks for the screenshots, didn't notice that.

CaptainHook

Quote from: mnteddy on October 12, 2012, 04:46:36 PMOther than that, I've had no alignment issues with any of the features (zebras, focus assist, etc).

What about playback with crop marks? Doesn't extend fully on my DP6. Great while recording though.

I've had a couple of times the freeze people have mentioned that's fixed by removing the battery. They were on shoots though and i didn't have time to try figure out reproducible steps. I did notice on a music vid shoot last week that a couple of times i turned the camera off and the led that flashes with card activity kept flashing for at least a minute after turning off so i removed the battery to stop it. What does that mean?

Otherwise, ML peaking through the DP6 (with dp6 peaking on) was kicking ass. Got a heap more useable footage because i was able to rack focus on the fly with pretty good success (80-90% of the time) without blocking/rehearsing or marking the follow focus. Thank you Alex and the team! Add Higher bitrate (or whatever my lexar 1000x's can handle) and this camera would really kick ass for me thanks to ML.  :)

hjfilmspeed

So givin all the info on the benchmark tests being done, i asume the 5d3 is powerfull enough to handle true resolution of HD (at 2.35:1)

80+MB/s is really stinkin fast! (Doesnt 80MB/s = 640mbs? is this right?) Can it sustain this for more than a seconded or 2?

PLEASE correct me if im wrong.

If this is acurate then shame on canon for truely limiting this beast! (i know im sounding spoiled) Sounds like from this that theres plenty of processing speed  for canon to have included a 1080 mjpeg or something that resoves better. This makes me sad/excited all at once.

Thanks everyone for all your hard work! Once im more confident in my knowledge of software/firmware i will no dought be donating and running ML. I dont quite trust myself to test yet.

rosso_corsa

This is working extremely well so far. Can't wait to get autoboot. That will make this usable in production environment. Please give that to us soon! You will make many of us extremely happy.

bp

Just curious - last week you'd mentioned possibly having Alpha2 ready this week?  Curious if that's still a possibility

Have a shoot this weekend, and a bit drooly at the possibility of shooting a version of an outdoor scene with HDR (which you'd also mentioned possibly coming in Alpha2) and seeing how it goes.   No pressure though - haha - your work is SO appreciated!!!!!!

a1ex

I'll do my best - because that's what I promised :P