Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainHook

I got slightly slower with one of my lexar 32gig 1000x's.. is the top right telling me there was only 14gig left on the card ? (haven't used ML much). It was at least half full so could that be a factor then?

This was using the 1.8gig firmware tester from page 2.

Put me down for testing uncompressed!!  :D

Cineman

This is such great news!  Any increase in bit rate / image quality would be my main request for your next addition.  Also, the ability to de-compress 1.5x anamorphic images on the L.C.D. so that the correct aspect ratio is displayed while recording would be fantastic! When one or both of these features are added I'll definitely be donating more.  I'm shooting a feature in mid October.  Any hope I can get a sharper image out of this camera by then?  Thanks for the amazing work!

CaptainHook

Hey Alex, a quick couple of things i noticed when playing back and having crop marks (2.35:1) showing;

When using built-in LCD if i press "info" to remove the 'clip location indicator' (whatever its called) top left of screen, the crop marks around that area will flicker on and off exposing the shot behind the cropmark.. not a huge deal but distracting none the less.

When outputting via hdmi to an external display, because it's playing back at 1080 (on my 24" monitor live view doesn't use the full screen so maybe just 720, and playing back clips goes full screen) the crop marks aren't scaled properly and don't cover the proper width etc.

Thanks!

joxxie

any idea when you might add the intervalometer ? I wanna start shooting timelapse and it would nice not to have to
buy one

wintix

same here, looking forward to a alpha 2 build with a bit more functions to toy around with.

btw, is it my imagination or is modifying the shutter speed causing redrawing issues with the aperture number? it's kind of setting me off each time i fiddle with the settings as i first think that i accidentally changed aperture and not the shutter.

vitafab

Hi guys,
I've test alpha 1 all day long during a wedding reportage and i had no problem with it at all.
It's great to have stuff back as i was used to. I didn't miss much the autoboot since most of the time i left the camera in photo mode with the autopower off. I've update the firmware with no problem except once when battery level was under 17% .
In very low light situation i've use 12800 iso with hard edge focus peacking and it does the job better then the other methods.
Thanks again alex
I'll keep donating

optik

Can't say how grateful I am you guys thanks. Everything seems to be working just fine no problems whatsoever (minor GUI glitch at the bottom when I change shutter or aperture) shot for about six hours today.
I primarily do a lot of green screen work I read somewhere that there was an option for achieving better green screen results in magic lantern what is that setting?
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 24-105mm F4, Canon 50mm F1.4, Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 AI-s, Tokina AT-X 16-28mm F2.8 Pro FX, 2 Lexar 1000x 64GB, Kumputer Bay 1000x 64GB, FCPX, Nuke, Modo, AE,
DaVinci

Francis

You can use the waveform display to see if your greenscreen is evenly lit. Aim for a horizontally uniform graph.

JohnN

Quote from: a1ex on September 14, 2012, 07:57:03 AM
Focus peaking is based on D2xy, so:
- biased for edges: that's exactly d2xy, and the algorithm is described here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=56246.0
- biased for fine details: it's second derivative (d2xy) minus first derivative (what was d1xy). Rationale: strong edges (with high contrast) are very likely to be false positives, so this setting will try to filter them out and only look for textures.

So far so good - no issues at all for me :)

One question about focus peaking - I see there are two methods now as I don't recall edge from when I had it on the 60D, but in the article you pointed to there was this image (below) - do you think this sort of display is possible as it would be a lot easier to see at a distance or in sunny conditions.

a1ex

I'm afraid this display would require a lot of CPU power.

I have some experimental display modes with alpha blending, but frame rate is quite a bit lower (15-20fps). Probably not an issue for photo mode with slow action, but with fast action it really feels very slow.

JohnN

Cheers - would be interesting to see, although obviously as a lower priority.

vitafab

Hi guys,
there any chance to have the hdmi and lcd working at the same time?

itsskin

Hi guys!
Great work!
Just tested Lexar 32Gb x1000 and got 85MB/s write speed. Read test was skipped.

5DanielMIII

Hm, never done this before, so please, a step by step what to do!? =) hehe
Just unzip the folder and smack it on the SD card?
Or should the card be prepared in a way? Do I get to choose the ML on start up, or..

Aaah, so many questions, so many many possibilities!
Life is overwhelming now that ML on 5D mark III surfaced.

Or, might just be me, the technoobfool;-)

Regards
I am thankful that Jesus and MagicLantern exist, because they both change lives!

shiny

hi,
i don't have the mark3 but i will use it for a video shooting.
can you give me the right info to use the alfa version with camera?
i want to use the method the alex suggest.install ml on the small SD and using cf card for recording video.
so....is this what i have to do?:
1:copy ml in sd card
2:insert sd card in camera and press firmware update.
3.in now installed?
4.insert cf card and start to recording
5.i have missing something?

what is the button to have access to ml menĂ¹?is the same of the mark2?
thanks

Jason Montalvo

You have got the procedure right my friend. I would insert both cards at the same time and then do the firmware update, because if you waited to insert the cf card the camera would turn off and you'd have to run the firmware update again. No autoexec.bin on the Alpha firmware.

Hope this helps !!

agregory

I keep trying to load the firmware with my SD card and my camera doesn't see the file. Do I use the USB? I'm on the updated canon firmware 1.1.3.

a1ex

Format the card from the camera, and make sure the FIR is on the root of the card.

wintix

are you planning to release a second alpha to toy around with over the next weekend, alex? if so, what features do you consider to put in there?

a1ex

Well... with the 7D thing I didn't really work on the mark 3 lately.

I've tried it on a small event this weekend (1300 pics), had to pull the battery once and got 3 black pictures (but I had a larger feature set enabled). In the google docs, two users also reported lockups (happened once, they could not reproduce). Not that good.

On the other hand, I've seen some reports of 5D3/650D problems without ML ( http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8732.0 , http://www.learningdslrvideo.com/canon-t4i-650d-vs-60d-review/ ), so it's going to be hard to diagnose.

For next alpha, I'm thinking to add things that do not require changing any persistent settings. HDR video is one of them, also most DIGIC display tweaks. Also the zoom position on M-Fn.

wintix

yeah, saw the changelog was pretty empty and hence hoped for a second alpha soon as things seemed stable from the outside.

i just read the forum thread you linked and it seems that only people that are using the sd card slot with high speed cards are speaking up so far. my glass ball guesses that since the 650d and the 5d3 used with a sd card are affected that it has something to do with the sd card implementation in recent cameras. maybe you can do a release with a ~15G file benchmark (or something so configure the size) to allow specific testing of the sd card slot in the 5d3. maybe it's possible to crash the camera reliably with putting some heavy usage on the sd card slot for a longer period of time.

so far i threw at the 5d3 what i could think of, went through several hundred pictures with ml enabled and didn't experience any issues so far, despite the minor redraw issue in video mode i mentioned earlier.

nice work on the 7d as well, btw! also looking forward to anything testable there. kind of cute to have two cameras with a port in progress. :D

itsskin

Alex, how hard is intervalometer to implement in next Alpha?

a1ex

It depends on prop_request_change calls... the thing that I want to avoid for now.

wintix

how is that particular call dangerous? if i understand it correctly, it changes camera settings and can potentially lead to a non-booting camera if invalid values are written for whatever reason? - i do see why one wouldn't want to release something like that straight away but it probably doesn't get more safe than it already is with your testing so far?