Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wintix

JasonATL

Thanks for the reply with more info, A1ex.

I came across one issue that I forgot to post earlier: When I engage the ML menu while recording, I cannot navigate the ML menu using the aperature wheel. When recording, the aperature wheel only changes the aperature, regardless of whether I have engaged the ML menu or not. I can use the nipple to navigate the ML menu while recording. When starting the ML menu when not recording, the aperature wheel works fine to navigate the ML menu.

a1ex

That's normal, scrollwheels can't be controlled while recording. You should see a crossed scrollwheel icon in menu that suggests this.

JasonATL

Quote from: a1ex on September 14, 2012, 01:29:54 PM
That's normal, scrollwheels can't be controlled while recording. You should see a crossed scrollwheel icon in menu that suggests this.

See it now. Thanks! :-[

a1ex

Good news: I'm able to move the zoom button back to it's old place.

Not-so-good news: it's also triggered by M.Fn and Light button. But M.Fn is quite handy :)

wintix

you are referencing the 5d2 as the zoom buttons old place? from where to where would that move the zoom button on the 5d3? i can't quite imagine it as i don't have a 5d2 to compare with.

wintix

ah, yes, that's true. not being able to do it with the thumb is indeed annoying. great to know that you can move it back :)

a1ex

Well... I'm starting to think that the best place for zoom in button is actually M.Fn :)

wintix

wintix

alex:

sorry for the shaky video, it's a pita to hold the ipad steady   :-[

it tops out a bit over card specification.

a1ex

Can you try in LiveView? What card do you have? (found: transcend 600x, rated at 90MB/s).

If those speeds are true, uncompressed video (at least in 2.35:1) is possible!

wintix

sure. i went ahead and did it in movie mode, assuming you meant that?

vitafab

Ok got it working, I'm running on a single SD and everytime that i switch off the camera i have to load back the firmware again.
Is it the same with the two cards method?

wintix

Quote from: vitafab on September 14, 2012, 04:38:00 PM
Ok got it working, I'm running on a single SD and everytime that i switch off the camera i have to load back the firmware again.
Is it the same with the two cards method?
yes, as stated earlier, autoboot is disabled for now.

wintix

alex, just checked, photo mode live view is a tad faster, don't know why.

AndreasK

Why is it that in LV-mode i get less write speed then from the menu ? (especially the 128k buffer mode is much slower)

Sandisk 60mb/s rated CF in liveview mode 54.6 - 61.7 in menu-mode

AndreasK

my 30mb/s rated SD-card only gives about 11mb/sec ?

a1ex

Well... with focus peaking and other graphics enabled, it's pretty good IMO. Try disabling GlobalDraw.

In photo mode, the sensor is sampled at lower resolution.

Looking forward to see some tests on a 1000x card.

wintix

Quote from: a1ex on September 14, 2012, 05:03:06 PM
Well... with focus peaking and other graphics enabled, it's pretty good IMO. Try disabling GlobalDraw.
indeed, performance is pretty good and likely sufficient for high data rate video stuff. :)

video mode global draw disabled: 19,9mb/s 27,5mb/s 85,3mb/s
photo mode live view global draw disabled: 19,4mb/s 25,9mb/s 77,9mb/s

photo mode, menu, global draw disabled: 36,5mb/s 38,9mb/s 99,5mb/s (!)
(ran twice to confirm - missing autoboot is getting annoying ;)

i would guess we see the different results due to the fact that the data has to come from somewhere and also it's ml code which is dependant on how much stuff is going on. i bet canons native write operations are faster, independent on what mode the cam is in?

Quote from: a1ex on September 14, 2012, 05:03:06 PM
Looking forward to see some tests on a 1000x card.
oh yeah :)

Jason Montalvo

These are my results using lexar 32gb 1000x card

keeps skipping last test, and lots of lines on top of display.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66493340@N02/7986196588/in/photostream

a1ex

For uncompressed FullHD 422 at 24p, I need "only" 100MB/s. Maybe with a 32MB write buffer it's exactly what I need.

For 2.35:1, I only need 75MB/s.

That's pure theory, so take it with a grain of salt.

wintix

you could do a test version for us to play with :)

Jason Montalvo

joxxie

yes definitely would be interested in testing that out