Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtq

How can I disable the bootdisk flag on my 5D3? I have tried all the different options I could find on this board, but nothing has helped. The reason I need this is because there is currently no other way to use my Eye-fi card.

Wouldnt it be possible for someone to produce a .fir file for disabling the bootdisk flag (similar to 5D3-113-bootflag.fir, which is used to enable it)?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

vtq

I managed to build a version of autoexec.bin which disables the Bootdisk flag, so I am good with that.

Now if I understand correctly, there is currently no way of running ML with Eye-fi on the 5D3 without having to do firmware upgrade each time the camera boots (which might be risky business if there is an upgrade counter)? This is because the Eye-fi card seems to have and issue with making it bootable.

NerveGas

So I'm confused then; does a custom autoexec.bin disable auto-boot or disable the boot flag, or both? From what I've read, these are two separate things.

1%

I dunno... I put a non bootable card in my 6D and it starts. It was fresh, no autoexec.bin... just no ML. Put in an ML card and its fine. I don't have a 5d3 to test. Whats the deal with non-bootable eye-fi with no ml files? Does it just not start up?

vtq

Basically there are two things:
a) the camera has to be told that firmware (autoexec.bin) is being loaded from a bootable memory card at boot-time
b) the memory card has to be bootable for the camera to find the autoexec.bin on it

Now, with a) active, I could find no way to have the camera start-up with the Eye-fi X2 Pro card in it. I tried making the Eye-fi card bootable, non-bootable, formating it, placing and not placing the autoexec.bin on it, using it together with the CF card, using it together with a bootable CF card with autoexec.bin on the CF etc. A normal SD card works fine without issues.

Without the Bootdisk flag set in the camera (a) the Eye-fi works without any issues.

NerveGas

Got it working with a standard SD card. Verified motion detection and focus stacking work. Will test some other features. Are there any particularly dangerous features that write to the camera that I should be worried about?

1%

Old focus patterns, leave them disabled. Besides that, not really.

vstrglv

Dear developers, thank you very much for your every day job. Your ML is really cool.
I have three Q:
1. How  to return  red color  to Luma in Zebras? For EOS-M also. Now color is not enough contrast for me, especially for bright day.
2. Does Sound Recorder (Audio menu) work Movie mode only?
3. Audio RemoteShot (Shoot menu) does not work on my 5D Mark III.
Regards
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

vstrglv

Quote from: vbcoen on February 10, 2013, 03:25:40 PM
That's the problem with 3rd party ACK-xn kit they do not have a chip to report such.

There is no solution other than use a battery or a grip with a pair of batteries.

Have the same problem myself.

Anyone know if the Canon version has the same problems?
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

vbcoen

5D3, 24 - 105, 16 - 35, Tamron f2.8 70-200, 580Ex II, Yongnuo 622C flash units, Cokin filters

1%

Dunno if A1ex found all of the beep/voice stubs for 5d3.

vbcoen

Quote from: vstrglv on March 11, 2013, 02:21:19 PM

Spoke to a Canon guy at Infocus at the NEC last week and he said that even the canon model has the same problem, eg, it does NOT have any smart chips installed.

So its a problem when using ML with a 5D3 and keep power running long term (ish).

5D3, 24 - 105, 16 - 35, Tamron f2.8 70-200, 580Ex II, Yongnuo 622C flash units, Cokin filters

NerveGas

Trap focus working nicely. Intervalometer working. Bulb Timer working. Audio Remote Shoot NOT working. Motion detect working. Mirror lockup working.

1%

You'll need the stubs that make beep work for audio remote shot to work.

NerveGas

Some functions in audio.c appear to be turned off for CONFIG_5D3, such as audio_configure. I wonder if this is part of the issue. Was this turned off just because it's experimental, or because something was incompatible?

1%

Nope, audio_configure is our function... Its turned off because new cameras have different IC + different commands.

Also, on 5d3 not much of a need for audio stuff as you already have a headphone jack and can turn off the AGC + wind filter. maybe only useful to adjust volume up and down but that can be done through a canon function.

Also there are 2 (maybe 3) sets of those "beep" functions. Some are backwards compatible, some have different parameters. I'm not sure which ones a1ex put in stubs.s... I know the ones for 6D were all the new functions. or wrong and didn't work.

So far I can beep and start dma but I can't stop it...  Also I *think* i can read registers back and maybe set them but have no reg map.

vstrglv

Excuse me, but I repeat my question again :
How  return  red colour for Overexposure  (Luma) in Zebras? For 5D mark ii and EOS-M also. Now colour is not enough contrast for me, especially for bright day. May be somebody send a zebra.c with red colour. I am going  to compile autoexec.bin.

NerveGas

Thanks for the replies.. Where in the code are the existing stubs? I can take a look and see if I can find the 5D3 stubs for the audio detection.

1%

You have to get the stubs out of the firmware image after decompiling it. then they go in stubs.s

NerveGas

1%

You have a choice of a few... ida (not free), pel's disassembler (free), a1ex's arm console (free and good once you get the detailed HTML).

NerveGas

I've got a license for IDA and Hex Rays; I need to set it up. If it would help, I should be able to decompile the firmware to C using hex rays... how do you get the firmware to dump? I ran the dev kit file and it dumped a file named ROM DAT but it was only 16k.

1%

You need rom0/rom1.bin, you're looking in the right place, its somewhere in debug.c to dump it. It won't decompile to C, just pseudo code. The program portion of 5d3 is like 15mb.

scrax

Quote from: vtq on March 10, 2013, 01:08:53 PM
I managed to build a version of autoexec.bin which disables the Bootdisk flag, so I am good with that.

Now if I understand correctly, there is currently no way of running ML with Eye-fi on the 5D3 without having to do firmware upgrade each time the camera boots (which might be risky business if there is an upgrade counter)? This is because the Eye-fi card seems to have and issue with making it bootable.

Why they should put a firmware update limit?
Have you tried to make the eye-fi bootable with EOSBoot or similar?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Andrzej

Would like to support 5dm3 development. How to?
Canon 5dm3, 550d, Canon 24-105mm 4.0 IS, Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 20mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm 4.0-5.6, Samyang 14mm 2.8, Falcon 85mm 1.4, Zeiss 180mm 2.8 and more...