Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbcoen

Very underpowered and if you look, it has some bad write-ups. Also not listed as UDMA let alone UDMA7.

Stick to Extreme or above although that said I have been using Transcend Premium (400x) UDMA7 CF 32GB and they appear to be fine and a lot cheaper.

The Transcend CF cards and with Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-1 used together in a 5D III with the CF card for video.
5D3, 24 - 105, 16 - 35, Tamron f2.8 70-200, 580Ex II, Yongnuo 622C flash units, Cokin filters

brad

Hi! Alpha 3 seems to work pretty well.  You guys are awesome.

Curious: Is Alpha 2 still online somewhere for download?  I think I might prefer using that one instead of having to install it each time. At this point I mainly just use Focus Peak and Magic Zoom.  Great work on this and thank you.

th65

Quote from: brad on February 08, 2013, 03:03:14 AM
Is Alpha 2 still online somewhere for download?  I think I might prefer using that one instead of having to install it each time.
As yet there hasn't been an Alpha version that doesn't need to be re-installed after power-off.

brad

bazoka_egycrew

when I take my battery off and put the ac adapter I got it sayd can't communicate with battery and ask me to choose between ok or cancel, if I press ok it works but the Magic Lantern not installed and if I said cancel it turns the camera off, then when I put the original battery it installs no problem, any idea what this might be?

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

vbcoen

That's the problem with 3rd party ACK-xn kit they do not have a chip to report such.

There is no solution other than use a battery or a grip with a pair of batteries.

Have the same problem myself.

Anyone know if the Canon version has the same problems?

5D3, 24 - 105, 16 - 35, Tamron f2.8 70-200, 580Ex II, Yongnuo 622C flash units, Cokin filters

ezuls

Alpha 3 works perfectly for me. Hope autoboot version will be release soon. Than you guys..

LucidLethargy

So forgive me if this has been asked before, but I can't find mention of it... is it possible to allow this hack to open up the current 29 minute limitation the 5d Mark III has? This is all I am interested in as I have to record long meetings every quarter on my 5d Mark III and by no limitation of the camera itself, it shuts off at 29 minutes due to a European tax law penalizing video cameras with an additional 5% tax. I don't live in Europe, nor do I find this to be something Canon itself cares about past it's bottom line - As such, I am hoping the good people at Magic Lantern can correct this nonsensical limitation.

Just to clarify, currently the camera actually cuts the clips every time they reach 4GB, but these are seamless cuts that will only last until the 29 minute mark is reached. I have been recording meetings up to 2 hours long, non-stop, without any hardware problems so I know this is not a limitation (despite the rumors of overheating that some less-than-intelligent users have been spreading.) I have gotten pretty good at this, leaving only a .5-1 second gap between the 29 minute marks, but it's frustrating to have to baby sit a camera, and on occasion I miss the mark and we lose footage which makes me look very bad in the eyes of my peers despite the reason I missed it being that I was paying attention to the meeting. It would be AMAZING if this frustrating, and silly problem could be overcome with a bit of helpful hacking.

Please let me know if anyone here has some information on this topic - this is a feature that film buffs dismiss due to a lack of a need, but the rest of the community generally struggles with. In the end, as there is not a good reason for the limitation, I am hoping that we can eradicate this problem caused by crooked European laws.

vbcoen

The programmer seems to be worried on allowing the limit to be relaxed as he is under the impression it is breaking some EU laws.

This in fact is incorrect and that no law would be broken as the product is already in a EU country.

However the only way to get around it without the programmer (Alex) changing the source and binary file (ML program) is to download and alter the source code yourself and recompile it. That said getting the needed libraries together for any given platform is easier said than done, well it is for a Mandriva 2011.0 system.

Hope that helps a bit   :)

vbcoen

follow on:

.. and yes, the limit is a right pain in the butt/ass (as appropriate).

V

nanomad

The restriction has been removed in the nightly builds AFAIK but there are no mk3 nightly builds available so you'll have to wait a bit
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

We were only able to remove 4gb limit on 600D. Changing max recording time did not work. Still stops after 29" even with max rec sec set high. i'll investigate more on 6D but it looks to be a hardware limit or we changed the wrong one. in timelapse it records all night so there is hope.

@!ex

Any updates on if the next alpha will contain more of the full still photography feature set?  Very anxiously waiting.  Thanks in advance.

EDGERIDER

Hi guys!

so .... after playing a bit with the sony FS_700, i have to admit that slo mo is cool !

what are the chance to have a mode to record on the buffer at higher speed rate such as 120fps or 200fps until it is full and then move the file to the card ?

I wouldn't mind having a 1080P120 or p200 even if it is only for 2-3 second ... that would really break the barrier...

Francyz

When we make happy Alex firmware with autoload? At least the basic functions. But then so is inconvenient to test

Francyz

Jason Montalvo

Just saw the video for DotTune AFMA, WOW!! Thats some pretty impressive stuff,

Is there currently anyway for us to get the ML interface that on the video? Not sure if I missed anything.

Thanks Again !!

a1ex

The simplest way is to run the developer FIR and compile ML. It's quite easy these days, the toolchain is precompiled, there is even a pre-configured virtual machine.

Jason Montalvo

JohnN

Have to say really impressed you're including DotTune too - this is the sort of things applications are great at.

Digitally Altered

got excited 'bout the Dot-Tune...  guess its not implemented yet...  looks cool though  - not much into video yet, but some of the still enhancements look great

davisje011

Quote from: Digitally Altered on February 25, 2013, 08:36:33 PM
got excited 'bout the Dot-Tune...  guess its not implemented yet...  looks cool though  - not much into video yet, but some of the still enhancements look great

Honestly, I wouldn't count on it, the 5D3 looks like the forgotten stepchild of magic lantern development...