Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francis

Quote from: KAIT Labs on December 07, 2012, 06:05:40 PM
That would mean I'm litterally recording an upside down picture, I'm not sure that's the desired solution. :P

Guess I'm going to have to figure out how to rig my monitor another way then.

It should be easy to flip the video in post. I use MpEG Streamclip to convert footage  for editing and it has the option to flip, rotate, mirror, and whatever other transformation you could want. Adds almost no time to the processing.

swinxx

2 questions:

1. what is the 16:9 bar for anamorphic preview for?
2. is it possible to define a card (cf/sd) for saving video? now i had the problem that when i shoot video i always have to define it at the beginning of the shoot. when i turn the camera off/on, the default is the cf.. i want the default to be sd..  is that possible to save it somewhere?

thx sw

yvan

So amazing job, M and now the 650 D, congratulations...
Do you know aproximatively when we can hope for a 5DMIII stable firmware ?
I say that because I would like to separate from my MII for a 650D (to have it as 2nd spare and more dayli cam than my MIII) but I still need many options (timelaps, intervalometer...).
You make a real f... good job...
Sincerely
Yvan

LB

Quote from: feureau on December 01, 2012, 12:39:42 PM
Hmm... cryptic... I wonder if they'd stumbled on photo fps controller that can increase shooting speed up to 10-14 fps...?

What's his twitter handle btw?

Gotta be the 6D if you are trying to push one of the new cams to 10-14fps.  ;D

LB

Quote from: a1ex on November 28, 2012, 06:37:20 PM
We already have hi-res PCB pics at http://www.pbase.com/rcicala/magiclantern (thanks Roger!)

I believe the chip is the bottom-left one in the second pic, but... good luck reading what's on it ;)

He seems to love to open stuff up so he might be willing to open it up again and get a close macro shot of the audio chip. Perhaps.

LB

I assume that there is no way to access the full true 1920x1080 image and we will have to wait for the canon firmware to get full-res clean HDMI out?

achangsta

I wasn't sure if I report alpha3 bugs here or in the Bug Reports section, so let me know and I'll move it over there.

First, let me say that Alex and the whole ML team are geniuses. I've been playing with ML all day and here are my thoughts:

-- Positive: --
1. LOVE the new gradual exposure setting and the blue/red indicators are really useful to track the transition between exposures. I hope the developers find a way to make it work as smoothly on the other DSLRs (T2i please!)
2. The fine dots setting of focus peaking seems to work the best for me right now, but I can't really tell what the difference is with alpha blend. Extreme sharpness has a lot of potential if it was fine-tuned a bit more in future versions to make it a little more obvious
3. Fast focus box is very fast and responsive.
4. Love the anamorphic stretch settings. This is a feature I requested for my T2i that I hope makes it into release 2.4 (please)!
5. Can't wait for the full release to come out!

-- Bugs that I've encoutered: --
1. Redraw problems when any Canon native UI screen elements are called up (e.g., the * button). Native UI draws over the ML UI and it doesn't come back until a second later.
2. The battery indicator seems to be missing. Maybe it's not a bug, but just hasn't been implemented yet.
3. Focus confirmation in magic zoom isn't working for me. I use green bars, but none of the other settings seem to be working either.
4. When magic zoom is used on any of the anamorphic preview settings, it rescales it to be square pixel.
5. When anamorphic display is turned on, you lose focus peaking.
6. The Dim REC LED doesn't seem to do anything when turned on. It seems equally bright when it is on or off.
7. Focus Peaking > Local Focus seems to only work with Blinking dots. If it's only a feature that's only available for this setting, gray it out when something else is selected.
8. Focus Peaking > Fine details causes significant lag in Liveview. Strong edges and Balanced work pretty well.
9. Not a bug, more of a feature request. The vectorscope takes up too much of the screen as is. Please make a "small" option for the vectorscope like the waveform and put it in one of the top corners, or possibly make the background completely transparent or at least more transparent (maybe like 25%)

Jason Montalvo

I think we might be becoming the Red headed step child of Magic Lantern  :P

a1ex

nanomad

Quote from: a1ex on November 08, 2012, 04:44:27 PM
I guess it's time to post a small update, mostly with bugfixes.

Download

The most important change is a card test executed at startup. My 16GB (Kingston 266x) card has problems, and I'm trying to diagnose the issue: maybe it's just my card, or maybe it's related to this. If the test fails on your camera, please report.

There are also a few handy tweaks:
- Histogram and waveform moved to bottom
- New experimental display for focus peaking (extreme sharpness)
- 16:9 bars for anamorphic preview
- Focus box moves faster (not yet customizable)
- After taking a picture and pressing Zoom In right away, you can scroll through pictures
- Saturation boost when adjusting white balance
- Warnings for bad settings (e.g. if you set picture quality to JPEG instead of RAW by mistake)
- Dim the red LED while recording (make it less distracting)

Now, about the photo features. I can enable most of them, but, while running the random stability test, at some point the camera froze; I took the battery out, and found out that LiveView was no longer working (even when booting without card). Cleared camera settings and it's OK now. But this shows clearly that there's something fishy inside.

So, all other features that depend on properties will have to wait until I'll understand what happened. It may take a few months, maybe more, maybe less, I have no idea.

Current alphas are pretty safe, to the best of my knowledge.

quoted
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Jason Montalvo

rufustfirefly

I've been trying to watch the commits for other models to try to make sure that the 5D3 port isn't neglected for any bugfixes or large changes. (For example, https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/30f69a59cf275599490f66fcd20b4aa447c6bf9f was implementing a change which was done for every other model *but* the 5D3)

Perhaps this just comes with being an "unsupported" model, at the moment. I don't know what the intended release date for a "stable" 5D3 port is supposed to be, but I'll keep trying to make sure that the 5D3 port is still workable in the meantime, as best I can.
EOS 5Dmk3 | EOS 40D
EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II ; 50mm f/1.4 ; 24-104mm kit lens ; 135mm f/2.8 SF | FD 28mm f/2.0 ; 55mm f/1.2 ; 300mm f/4 | Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 | Other : Rokinon Cine 14mm, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm ; Juplen M42 135mm f/2.8 ; ... etc ...
http://jbuchbinder.com/

luc.merckx

Hi,

the focus confirmation ( whatever setting ) is not working in the magic zoom.Rest seems ok.

Thanks for developing this amazing software. It is already very useful for me especially since I work a lot with manual focus lenses.

Luc

tuantuan

hey

i have problems during the installation on my 5D3, after installing the firmware ML (but no green screen), it's working (i checked the version of firmware ML, its ok) but when i turn off the camera, then turn on; the ML disapeared and i have to re install ML again, do you know why?

thanks!

luc.merckx

this is typical for this alpha version : the auto boot option is turned off as long as this is not a stable software.
This means that you have to perform a firmware update from your sd card each time that you have turned your camera off ( for this reason you better disable the option of automatic shut down of your camera )

Amr Toukhy

Are there any plans to add the rack focus feature any time soon,
Thanks Guys,
Amr Toukhy

Andrzej

Is it posible to unlock lens chromatic aberration options for non- canon lenses ? Vignetting correction would be great for video mode :)
Canon 5dm3, 550d, Canon 24-105mm 4.0 IS, Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 20mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm 4.0-5.6, Samyang 14mm 2.8, Falcon 85mm 1.4, Zeiss 180mm 2.8 and more...

a1ex

During the holidays I did some more testing and noticed a few things:

- Two burst pics came out black (just with noise, as if the shutter didn't move at all). After that I had to take the battery out. The same bug happened a few months ago. Total: 4 black pics out of ~10000.

- Sometimes, when starting the camera with ML, the buttons stop responding. Only happens at startup - let's say in 2 out of 100 attempts.

These things happened with the full feature set enabled, and I did not see them on any other camera. Did you notice any of them with the alpha 3? If yes, any hints on how to reproduce?

mnteddy

Quote from: a1ex on January 05, 2013, 01:17:33 AM
Did you notice any of them with the alpha 3? If yes, any hints on how to reproduce?
I've had the "no response from buttons" issue happen at least 3 or 4 times out of at about 400 boots. Each time, the only way to reboot was through a removal of the battery (power switch did not work). To me it seems random, as I'm unable to reproduce it with a certain set of variables.

I've never had a black frame issue, though I've only been doing video work with ML.

Jason Montalvo

I've experienced black frame issue once, with noise like you stated. I'm quite sure that it didn't actually save the image to the card though, I could be wrong and maybe deleted it.

Never was able to reproduce though. If it happens again i'll be more conscious and report back.

platu

I've had the buttons not responding issue happen to me as well (using Alpha 2).  Maybe 2 times out of hundreds of boots. Not a biggie.

Pelican

I've moved some stuff from the 7D info screen.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

a1ex

Nice.

Please check the first post, I've just added a DevKit - a FIR file that enables the boot flag, so you can compile and run your own autoexec.bin.

RenatoPhoto

Can you plese provide Alpha 4.  I am not a developer but want to use Intervalometer and bulb ramping for timelapse.
Thanks
Renato
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

g3gg0

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on January 05, 2013, 05:34:28 PM
Can you plese provide Alpha 4.  I am not a developer but want to use Intervalometer and bulb ramping for timelapse.
please wait until the devs feel safe for the next alpha.
it will come when we are sure its time for one.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!