Author Topic: a bug revealed while filming...  (Read 990 times)

70MM13

• Senior
a bug revealed while filming...
« on: March 19, 2021, 12:19:42 PM »
Hi everyone...

I'm not back, but I was asked to share this information to hopefully bring attention to a bug I encountered while filming this episode:

I was shooting in UHD 1:1 mode, 14 bit lossless, 23.976FPS @ 3616*1536, using card spanning and overclock at 160MHz.  I didn't expect the episode to go this long, so I used a pair of 128GB cards.  The CF card filled up at about 30 minutes, and when I heard the beeping, I looked at the camera and the display was locked on "BUSY".  After a few minutes, I had to pull the battery.  When I looked at the cards, the CF was fine, (the one that was filled - 0 bytes remaining) but the SD card had the ML0 file with size 0 bytes.

It is well known that when using card spanning, the larger amount of data goes to the CF card.  Since both cards were blank, it means the SD card was far from full when the CF card filled up.

That's all I've got!

Beware of filling cards with a single recording when using spanning/overclock (possibly only when using UHD mode?)

Peace out.  Be well, everyone!

PS: for anyone who is a subscriber to my channel, I have segregated all the talks onto a new channel, "in the forest with tommy".  please subscribe to that channel to keep up with these, as they will not be listed on the studio channel.

Volumetrik

• New to the forum
Re: a bug revealed while filming...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 03:14:56 PM »
I have the same configuration, 128Gb SD + 128Gb CF on my 5D3. I have never filled up the cards to the brim before, so I can't comment or help you with the 0B file on the SD. I'll most definitely watch for that behavior however, thanks for pointing it out.

Maybe a simple script that stops recording with 100Mb remaining on the CF can potentially enable the camera to soft-stop and prevent corruption of the spanned files ?

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 03:45:50 PM »
I think close to cam's performance limit you're not looking for additional load by script and file system checks.

Volumetrik

• New to the forum
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 10:26:44 PM »
Good point.