Short film - "Masquerade" - Canon Eos M/12-bit 1080p

Started by frank_galvin, March 17, 2021, 05:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank_galvin

Hey ML folks,

I started messing around with my M and ML a few months ago, and the raw video blew me away. I then started putting together a short film and finally released it. Let me know what you think! This isn't an unaltered image: I used Cokin P-series diffusion filters I had laying around, because I felt they worked for the theme. So even though all that sharpness you're used to may not be there, the color depth sure is, and that's mainly what I fell in love with when using ML. Shot using FD lenses + speedbooster.

Runs at 15 mins long, best to watch on a TV:

https://youtu.be/mKyIVpwnppQ

Looking forward to some comments!

katrikura

Congratulations. It was very entertaining to watch. The image looked very good and the filter used gave it a somewhat disturbing appearance, like the times we live in. (excuse my bad english).

ChristianEOS

Good quality and story. Did you take a picture of every letter sending a message? How did you managed smooth zooming? It seems like vintage zoomin'? Looks sharp and makes a good character. Which lens did you use?
Christian Bruno James

frank_galvin

For the texting, I used an AE plug-in called "Universal Messenger," since it was the only texting plug-in I could find which featured all full keyboard (and it animates with every letter typed.) Combined with a static shot of the phone with a greenscreen image and pantomiming typing each message.

The zooms used were Canon 28-85, Canon 35-105, and Canon 85-300. Yes, in-camera zooms with Warp Stabilizer applied. For smoother zooming, I attached a follow focus gear on the zoom ring, and used a follow focus with a lever attached.

ChristianEOS

Good to know.  When are you making the next video? Are you wanting to do this as a job?

Seems like your whole school class were involved?
Christian Bruno James

frank_galvin

I'm actually not a student - I've been making films for over ten years. Sometimes it pays, sometimes I put something together on my own, like this short film. It's hard to say when I'll make another film - as always, I want it to be immediately, but they take much longer.

As far as cast & crew, the actors were hired, and I had my friend hold the reflector, but I did all the rest.

ChristianEOS

Wow,
I heard the new blackmagic design 6K Pro somehow has a display issues. I'm amazed how good magic lantern is. The EOS M maybe a little too small. Which other cameras are you working with?
Christian Bruno James

frank_galvin

On this film, I only used the Eos M. I've had this camera for years and am very comfortable with it, and I also have many FD lenses which I like to use with a speedbooster. I have my M in a cage along with an external battery, so it definitely isn't small anymore. Here's a picture of my setup:

I would like to upgrade to a newer camera at some point - the M with Magic Lantern is great, but I'm missing slow motion. Whatever camera I upgrade to, I'd like to bring my FD lenses along. So I'm looking at Canon R-mount cameras, or Sony or Panasonic.

ChristianEOS

Wow again
That looks professional.
I would think somebody like you maybe fancies anamorphic lenses?
Christian Bruno James

frank_galvin

I've never used anamorphic lenses, and I'm not in a hurry to try them... I've only ever used spherical on projects, from music videos to features. Maybe some future project will call for them, but I'd need to do a lot of testing to see if I like the characteristics.