Bilal's crop_rec_4k experiments for 650D / T4i

Started by theBilalFakhouri, September 21, 2020, 09:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArcziPL

My 700D was "different" but same as Bilal's. I never managed to make it "normal", even via restoring camera defaults.

My 70D switches between being "different" and "normal". I have noted down the relative difference of the offset.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

Icaab

Hello, everybody. I'm worried about the following things in this firmware:

In Crop-Mode 2 mode, my screen is compressed and it is difficult to display the composition.
When I connect to a device via hdmi, I get an image of poor quality and an incorrect number of frames.
Besides if I connect the device to the camera via hdmi and include mode 4.3k in Crop-mode 1 - I have the hanged image on the connected device.

Can it all be fixed now or expected in the future? Maybe the ADTG module can help, but I haven't found an up-to-date version of it.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Icaab on April 11, 2021, 09:19:46 PM
Hello, everybody. I'm worried about the following things in this firmware:

In Crop-Mode 2 mode, my screen is compressed and it is difficult to display the composition.

Hello Icaab,

Crop mode V2 doesn't have any preview fixes, you need to use ML Preview a.k.a "ML Framing" when using this module.

When I connect to a device via hdmi, I get an image of poor quality and an incorrect number of frames.

HDMI output isn't recommended when using crop mode modules like crop_rec and crop_new, what do you mean by incorrect number of frames?

Poor quality image? HDMI output already have poor image quality, could share a picture showing what you outputting on the HDMI device.

Besides if I connect the device to the camera via hdmi and include mode 4.3k in Crop-mode 1 - I have the hanged image on the connected device.

Again, attaching HDMI device isn't recommended with crop mode modules, these modules works better on LCD screen, for the hanged image when using HDMI device you need to do these to make it work:

1- Make sure the output is 1080i, other outputs won't work resulting in frozen preview.
2- You need to use Full Canon preview (toggle with Info button).

If it still doesn't work, report back, show me your camera settings, output signal, Canon preview.

Can it all be fixed now or expected in the future? Maybe the ADTG module can help, but I haven't found an up-to-date version of it.

HDMI output is low priority for developers, most users don't use it too because of bottleneck, corrupted frames and some bugs (even with official ML builds), but enhancing real-time preview in general I guess it would get some attention in future for some developers, currently I am not active regarding developments. ML currently doesn't follow a schedule, so nothing can happen now.

ADTG module won't work with crop mode modules at the same time when both are activated, preview registers are many, it's hard to tweak them one by one and without having pre-calculated values.

Icaab

Thank you. Can we talk more about ML Framing?

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Icaab on April 12, 2021, 05:01:15 PM
Can we talk more about ML Framing?

Movie tab --> highlight "RAW video" (make sure mlv_lite is enabled) --> press Q button --> Preview --> Framing

Icaab

Yes, I forgot, I tried this module, but then I get bad quality and not real-time. Is there any way to fix it?

Icaab

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 12, 2021, 05:42:38 PM
Movie tab --> highlight "RAW video" (make sure mlv_lite is enabled) --> press Q button --> Preview --> Framing
And then there's this:
Is it possible to shooting from 30 FPS in Crop Mode, without greatly reducing the resolution? (I wanted to do it in Crop Mode 1, but there is only 24 or 25 available)

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Icaab on April 13, 2021, 12:10:39 AM
And then there's this:
Is it possible to shooting from 30 FPS in Crop Mode, without greatly reducing the resolution? (I wanted to do it in Crop Mode 1, but there is only 24 or 25 available)

Technically, it might be possible to get 30 FPS in all 1x3 presets in Crop mode v1 (crop_rec) also in 1920x1280p 1:1, but didn't try to do it, because these presets won't have continuous recording @ 30 FPS. But might add it in future, because . . why not.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: relations99 on November 28, 2020, 10:19:31 AM
Hey all.

I cannot seem to get focus peaking to work with an external HDMI.
The resolution captured by my capture card is 1080p.
It keeps drawing in the middle only. See below.

Hi!

I had the same behaviour when using focus peaking with HDMI output, this problem not related to my build exclusively, and it might be fixable, but needs some debugging. Sorry I don't use HDMI and focus peaking much . .

Icaab

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 15, 2021, 03:11:19 AM
Technically, it might be possible to get 30 FPS in all 1x3 presets in Crop mode v1 (crop_rec) also in 1920x1280p 1:1, but didn't try to do it, because these presets won't have continuous recording @ 30 FPS. But might add it in future, because . . why not.

Could it make sense to use the sd_uhs module to activate a continuous record at 30 fps?

theBilalFakhouri

Increasing FPS would decrease write speed performance in LiveView, SD Overclock and 10-bit lossless would help, but it's unlikely to have continuous recording.

E.g:

4.3K 1x3: 1440x1836 @ 30 FPS in 10-bit lossless --> ~66 MB/s
UHD 1x3:  1280x2160 @ 30 FPS in 10-bit lossless --> ~69 MB/s

In normal 1080p @ 24 FPS 3x3 I can get maximum write speed of ~68 MB/s, @ 30 FPS it drops to ~64 MB/s and both have been tested with the 240MHz overclock, anyway let's wait for the real results when 30 FPS get implemented.

Icaab

theBilalFakhouri

Okay @Icaab I have made some tests:

30 FPS with real-time correct preview presets won't be possible, the sensor is capable but there is an overflow or something like that resulting in corrupted frames.

For example, Some months ago I made a preset 1736x868 (2:1 AR) @ 50 FPS in 3x3 with real-time correct preview, but when attempting to record (or when transferring the data from the buffer to the SD card) the LiveView becomes choppy, and the frames get corrupted, and this because of the real-time preview, a lot of data is being processed in LiveView --> more memory is used --> I think some memory overlapping is happening .. or maybe it's simply a bottleneck

We need to make further research regarding LiveView and Buffer (memory). The help of Lead developers are needed, they are not active currently . .

theBilalFakhouri

Hello 650D/T4i users!

New build posted here for 650D:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25784.msg231049#msg231049

Changes posted here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25784.msg235480#msg235480

I might lock this thread, and let the discussion continue on this thread since 650D/700D are very similar, we might re-name that thread to include 650D too in the title, I don't want to duplicate the posts in two threads, this doesn't make sense . . No need for two threads . .

Mehmet Kozal

Awesome dude. Will try the new build next week. Thanks so much.
Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.

Saint

Good day! I want to ask the professionals. One of the programs was so that it destroyed the memory card when switching to a photo or so. Is there any sequence of actions in the new version of November 2020, or will it not kill the memory card anymore? Thanks in advance for your answers. Thank you!

Добрый день!  Хочу спросить профессионалов. Одна из программ было так что уничтожала карту памяти, при переключении на фото или около того. В новой версии от ноября 2020 есть какая то последовательность действий, или это уже не убьет карту памяти? Заранее благодарен за ответы. Спасибо!
Canon 650D, 18-55mm IS , 50mm 1,8, 24 STM. SanDisk Extreme Pro 90Mb/s.

Walter Schulz

Unclear description and question. Please clarify:
You got one of your cards killed?

Saint

Yes, crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jun30.650D104 killed the controller on the memory card. I later read one in the forum, some people had this. To take a photo, you need to turn off all modules and reboot the camera. I found out later. If not, the card controller burns out.

Да, crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jun30.650D104 убила контроллер на карте памяти. Я потом в форуме в одном прочитал, у некоторых людей такое было. Что бы снимать фото, надо выключить все модули и перегрузить камеру. Я это потом узнал. Если не сделать, контроллер карты сгорает.

theBilalFakhouri

Hi Saint

This "crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jun30.650D104" build doesn't belong to this thread, but that's not the case right now, so you maybe are talking about SD Overlcocking (sd_uhs.mo)?

Quote from: Saint on June 04, 2021, 02:05:01 PM
I later read one in the forum, some people had this. To take a photo, you need to turn off all modules and reboot the camera. I found out later. If not, the card controller burns out.

Had what?
if they can turn off all modules so they can use ML, which loaded from the SD card which mean the SD Card works, and SD controller can read the content of the SD card which mean also the SD controller works.

There is a case If you take a Photo when crop_rec module is on, your camera will lock up and you need to pull the battery out, that's not related to SD controller and SD card.
So let's not mix the things togather.

Now we need more details from you:

What's your SD card name and specs?
Does your *burned* Card works in a card reader using a PC?

Put another working SD card in camera, without Magic Lantern installed (if previously Installed Magic Lantern, format the card in PC first), can you a record H.264 video or a take Photo?

Saint

Thanks for the answer! It was last year. SD was killed this 100%. Since I understand a little about administration and hardware. It was changed under warranty. SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB / s. I installed the firmware, tried to shoot a video. I even took it off. Was glad. Then I switched to the photo, I wanted to take a frame for the white balance. The device is frozen. I took out the battery, but he never came back to life. I decided that the camera had died. Then he pulled out the card, without the card the camera came to life. But the card was dead. I saw a USB device but no more.

Спасибо за ответ! Это было в прошлом году. SD была убита это 100%. Так как я разбираюсь немного в администрировании и железе.  Её поменяли по гарантии. SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s.  Я установил прошивку, попытался снять видео. Даже снял. Был рад. Потом переключил на фото, хотел сделать кадр для баланса белого. Аппарат завис. Я вытащил батарею, но к жизни он не вернулся. Решил что умер фотоаппарат. Потом вытащил карту, без карты фотоопарат ожил. Но карта была мертвая. Виделось USB устройство но не более.

Saint

Communicated with a person, he had the same thing. And he said that in order to switch to the photo shooting mode, he turned off all the modules, then his photo worked and the camera did not freeze. to shoot a video, he again loaded the modules and filmed. The only way. And he, too, like me, for the first time, the controller on the card burned out. Not in the camera. I don't know English well, so I write through a translator.
Thanks for the answer!

Общался с человеком, у него было тоже самое. И он сказал что для того что бы переключится в режим съемки фото, он отключал все модули, тогда у него фото работало и камера не зависала. что бы снимать видео он снова загружал модули и снимал. Только так. И у него тоже как и у меня первый раз сгорел контроллер на карте. Не в фотоаппарате. Я плохо знаю английский, поэтому пишу через переводчик.
Спасибо за ответ!

theBilalFakhouri

Okay the SD card reader in camera is working fine.

So your *dead* SD card isn't showing in PC using a card reader?
If that true, this mostly mean your SD card is dead, I wanted to suggest formatting it with this tool:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

But since the SD Card isn't showing in PC, that tool might not help you.
Have tried another SD card reader?

The only reason your SD card would die in camera when using ML might be from using SD Overclocking module (sd_uhs.mo).
sd_uhs.mo module is experimental, there is one guy had a dead SD card after he used sd_uhs.mo

You didn't confirm if SD Overclocking was ON or not . . in addition I am not really familiar with Danne builds like "crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jun30.650D104", so not quite sure what might be going in the build, but for other users the build was fine.

Also, I don't know what settings you are using . . I can't really help you, you may want to ask Danne, or record a video showing your camera settings and what are you doing, do this at your own risk.

Saint

I realized it was a year ago, maybe the overclocking module was turned on, otherwise I would not have installed the firmware. I put it stable and use it. I wanted to know if your firmware could have such problems with the memory card or if it is more reliable than the one I wrote about. Thanks again for the great answers!

я понял, это было год назад, возможно модуль разгона был включен, иначе бы я не стал ставить прошивку. я поставил стабильную и пользуюсь ей.  я хотел узнать, на ваших прошивках могут быть такие проблемы с картой памяти или она более надежная чем та про кторую я написал. Спасибо еще раз за большие ответы!

theBilalFakhouri

In my build, originally SD Overlocking isn't loaded, you need to load it manually then activate it. All others modules in my build are working in this way too.
For me, never experienced in burned/broken card, I have both Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-I U3 95MB/s and 170MB/s versions, but this isn't a guarantee

Also, crop_rec module won't be patched in Photo module to avoid camera lock ups when taking still pictures in Photo mode.

If you don't want to use SD Overclocking or crop_rec (mostly crop_rec needs sd_uhs activated for continuous RAW recording), you can use the official ML builds from here:
Builds under "4K raw video recording; lossless compression" are pretty stable
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

If you are not a video shooter, you may want to use other builds, like lua_fix builds, or Nightly builds.

However, if you need an extra features, mostly for RAW video, my builds are pretty good too, and very similar to the official ML builds but with more features, and don't forget my builds contains bleeding-edge stuff (very experimental) compared to ML official builds:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25784.msg231049#msg231049