HDR video with Magic Lantern 2.3 exemple - short TUTO

Started by Francis Frenkel, September 07, 2012, 09:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francis Frenkel

Hello from France,

You can have a look at this short experimentation : HDR video with Magic Lantern 2.3
A short tuto to explain the sofware used.

If somebody knows how to do some HDR video with Sony Vegas Pro or AVID = I will be so interested !!!

Francis
www.lucide-prod.com
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

bart

Hi Francis,

Good use of HDR video! I think it can handle a bit more subject motion.

bigjoe

what software did you use to edit and what lens... ur picture is very clear and with high Q... i used sony vegas pro too and there is no option for ML hdr editing??though i dont know the advantage or shooting in HDR vdo using ML... can you tell me the Advantage please..

Francis Frenkel

Quote from: b4rt on September 07, 2012, 11:32:23 AM
Good use of HDR video! I think it can handle a bit more subject motion.

I will post new exemples next week :
> Hdr videos with dialogues, sync (shot in 60p).
> Hdr shoot by night, somebody next to a very intense / strong light

Francis
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Francis Frenkel

Quote from: bigjoe on September 07, 2012, 12:22:38 PM
what software did you use to edit and what lens... ur picture is very clear and with high Q... i used sony vegas pro too and there is no option for ML hdr editing??though i dont know the advantage or shooting in HDR vdo using ML... can you tell me the Advantage please..

1) Shoot in 24P
2) Output and master of the TiFF image sequence in VirtualDub :  in a non compressed file = RGB/CbYcbcr
3) Sony Vegas Pro11 : gradding only, and smooth sharpening (cause Picture Style Flat !)

Lens : Canon 28mm f;1.8
Picture Style : technicolor Cinestyle

Using HDR gives you the opportunity to shoot somebody in front of the sun or a window with good exposer on all frame, or in a dark room with a window open in the back during a very sunny day... (My exemples in my video)
Its just impossible to have a good exposure with 2 big different apperture in the same scene with a Canon...

Its not the case with a Red camera, or an ARRi Alexa, or a Black Magic Design Camera, cause they have more than 10 stops of dynamic range !

Is it clear for you ?
My English is poor...

It's possible to make HDR video with Sony Vegas Pro, cause all the tools are there :
1) Built the bright and drak frames (I can do it in Vegas)
2) Make 2 sequence of images in Jpeg or Tiff  = a bright and a dark one (I can do it in Vegas)
3) Merge the 2 clips (dark and bright one) >>> I dont know how to merge and tune the effects (Overlay, B&W mask ?)...after hundreds of try !!!!!

I've seen a tuto in english on youtube but impossible to understand it... My poor english

Francis
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

3pointedit

You need to use a luminance mask (derived from the over exposed image) to merge the frames together. Use this luminance image (over exposed image without color) in a key effect.
But there will be an issue at the blended edge between the dark areas and the light areas.
550D on ML-roids