dfort's experiments for 7D Mark I

Started by dfort, October 04, 2017, 05:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blandest

I set up ML on my 7D and shot some RAW video with it.  Thanks everyone for all the work, great forum posts and guides.  It was all pretty easy to do.

However, the footage that I got out of the camera was unusable to me.  It was the aliasing.  I can handle having to light my shots.  But the aliasing was intense, and even using a soft lens or diffusion filter didn't help much.  I was just testing shooting some nature (trees and leaves).  Is all the good footage I saw done with the 7D likely also with the use of an OLPF filter? Is there a cheaper alternative than obtaining that filter to get rid of the extensive aliasing?

Walter Schulz

I suppose you were in un-cropped mode (1736 horizontal resolution)? Have you tried crop mode?

Blandest

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 06, 2020, 09:16:17 AM
I suppose you were in un-cropped mode (1736 horizontal resolution)? Have you tried crop mode?

Ah, valid point, thanks.  Yes, I was using the un-cropped mode as that works better with the lens focal lengths I own.  But maybe all those videos I saw online that looked great and didn't have aliasing were using the cropped mode.  I didn't consider that. 

So basically un-cropped mode requires the OLPF filter?

Walter Schulz

Only every 3rd line used and build-in AA filter designed for photo, not video: Sure, aliasing galore! VAF recommended.

domo94

Last 7D 2.0.3 build with working MLV 10 bit raw, slow mo, and sound together.

https://vimeo.com/445929142

This will be the last time I'm using the 7D, it seems.

Hot pixels everywhere, MLV app kept crashing on me, overall outclassed by cameras today to do simple & effective jobs.

I used a Canon 80d here to fill the rest of the footage. About 80% of footage was 7D at 10 bit raw.

I love this beast.
Resolution was at 1440 x 448 ~ something like that. Still sharper than Canon 80d at 1080p.

Not too much noticeable aliasing. I bumped up to 508p as well on some shots.

IDA_ML

Quote from: domo94 on August 09, 2020, 07:40:08 AM
This will be the last time I'm using the 7D, it seems.
Hot pixels everywhere, MLV app kept crashing on me, overall outclassed by cameras today to do simple & effective jobs.

Could you please give a more detailed explanation on why you are giving up on the 7D?  Are hot pixels getting more and more with time?  Didn't you try removing them with MLVApp?  And why does MLVApp crash on you?  I often leave it rendering overnight, I also run multiple copies on it simultaneously when I have a lot of footage to process and convert and never experienced any crashes.  Could it be that there is a hardware/software problem with your PC?  And finally, if you want to invest a lot of money into a new system, what is it and what real improvements do you expect from it compared to 7D RAW filming?

domo94

I just need consistency and an efficient workflow.

I find myself sitting at the PC correcting more than I am producing.

Yes more hot pixels throughout time and MLV app even though I mapped the pixels, still show up for some reason. They become very prominent the heavier I color  grade.

I left it rendering and it crashes within 1-2 clips sometimes immediately. There was one pass I did where it rendered all the videos but they were literally no where to be found.

I just upgraded to Ryzen 9 hardware and am overclocked with 3200MHz 32GB DDR4 Ram.

Honestly it's a tough choice for me, but I just realized I'm not producing enough money for crazy gear.

I can't be buying multiple memory cards for small projects.

I love the RAW workflow and it's flexibility. The sharpness, dynamic range, and fidelity is unmatched.

But I need an image I can drag and drop into the timeline.

I need solid consistent 60FPS Because sports. And I need the autofocus, which is still a give or take because I'm very good at focusing manually.

I can't use crop mode because I need a wide field of view to get into the action for my work now.
This client is very low maintenance but I also don't want to fail him so the job I have now entails me to have a solid camera.

I need better low light performance as well. 7D caps at 1600 and the 6400 ISO sets a new floor for noise and is virtually less then 1600, I can't also sit there denoising all my work. Every time.

Unless I can figure out a way to get my 7D to work well with 10bit 60fps raw and no crashing , I need to stick to a camera that provides a good image and just works.

Another huge advantage with the 80d is that I can stop and start recording instantly as well and I will always get the same image.

If I need long term recording, my 7D won't produce the same image shooting normal MOV vs RAW which will eat up all my cards.

domo94

Though I'm still considering making my own content with a RAW workflow to match that of a RED or BlackMagic.

14 BIT raw with talking head interview type work or so.

But it's just not something I can consider for my professional workflow anymore, unfortunately.

Hard to break up with this camera and firmware hahahaha

IDA_ML

In my opinion, only 5D3 can match the colors, dynamic range and sharpness of 7D RAW footage, especially in the crop mode.  You should at least keep your 7D for ultimate RAW video quality.

dlprod

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know where Dfort's builds have gone?  Bitbucket appears to be unavailable.

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/

Walter Schulz

Use Web Archive Wayback Machine and enter string ...

dlprod

srsa

Quote from: dlprod on September 05, 2020, 01:18:10 PM
Nothing there, but thx.
https://web.archive.org/web/20200622002229/https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/

Tried 2 files, they are still available after a redirection.

dlprod

Mautdrunn

Hi, it´s been quite long I using very basic hacks of ML.

I first would like to know if it´s possible to achieve higher resolutions than 1920x1080 on a 7D, if it´s possible how do I set this up on ML?
Is there a specific CF card to improve that resolution? I´m using a Lexar Professional 400x - 32Gb.

I´m doing some anamorphic movies and that would benefit me a lot when stretch out a higher resolution.

I don´t have any need to shoot for long times. I mostly filming surfing... so my clips range from 8s-25s most of the time.

What else could I do to improve files quality to post process? I tried to go through the topics by you guys are next level! Bitrate hels, RAW movie? How to set this up?

This is kind of movies I´m doing:

Walter Schulz

You can record higher resolution with raw/MLV only. Continuous recording requires a fast (and quite expensive) 1066x CF-card like Sandisk Extreme Pro, Lexar Professional, Komputerbay. No idea if slower cards will do for 25s.
Bitrate manipulation does not apply to RAW/MLV.

Caveat: There are at least two Lexar varieties. One offers premium performance ...
Benchmark your cards after purchase!

ProFoto

Quote from: dfort on December 09, 2017, 12:32:55 AM
Sort of a low priority project and highly experimental but I do have a build for 2.0.6 on my downloads page. Just updated the pull request for this so there aren't any conflicts if anyone wants to play around with it.

I am not able to access the file to download ML...Since I am using 2.0.6 and I cant find a retro to 2.0.3 does that mean I cant use ML??  I cant get the page for this build.

Walter Schulz

See reply 1637. There you will find firmware files for 2.0.3 and a custom build for 2.0.6.

Lensmeister

Morning,

Many moons ago I d/l ML version magiclantern.7D.203.Alpha2 .

I have a 7D with Canon firmware version 2.0.3 on it.

I was watching this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpSdABzwQII
on How to record 2k RAW with the Canon 7d and Magic Lantern but the screens don't look the same and I cannot find out how to set the 7D up to record 2K Raw. When I do try to film with ML running it's a bog standard .mov file that comes out.

Please can you advise?

Thanks in advance.

Walter Schulz

Alpha completely outdated. Obsolete. Junk.
Top of page -> Downloads -> Download nightly builds -> 7D

Lensmeister

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 03, 2020, 12:45:22 PM
Alpha completely outdated. Obsolete. Junk.
Top of page -> Downloads -> Download nightly builds -> 7D

Thanks

smorgan3

Can anyone point me to any recent guides or how-to videos on how to record raw? Everything I've found so far is at least a few years old. I've installed the latest (2018) nightly build onto my 7D and played around with the settings. Tried recording raw but it crashed, showed error 70, and I thought I bricked it until I switched the battery and it came back. Looking for more recent info so I know what I'm doing. Thanks!

Brawl

Hi, talking about raw video.... any hope for a new update with continuous shooting on crop mode?

Walter Schulz

I'm able to record in crop mode for unlimited time (apart battery & card capacity) continuously. Please specify your request.

Brawl

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 22, 2020, 11:10:11 AM
I'm able to record in crop mode for unlimited time (apart battery & card capacity) continuously. Please specify your request.
hi Walter I'm sorry I miss the forum since a bit, as well I miss playing with my camera (I'm more focused on audio todays as sound designer for films). I remember I couldn't record for long takes in crop mode there were stops after a while. But I had no problems in non-crop, continuous shooting was working great (I have a fast CF from sandisk), the only downside was moire/aliasing.
Which resolution can you record in crop mode continuous shooting? Which settings/raw module do you use? Thx