dfort's experiments for 7D Mark I

Started by dfort, October 04, 2017, 05:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skitron

Quote from: dfort on May 13, 2019, 08:21:50 AM
You are using one of my experimental builds for the 7D. Isn't that proof that there is still some development going on for this camera? Also note that when any branch gets updated, the 7D will probably also be updated.

Thanks so much for sharing your 7D builds! In the FWIW dept. here are some testing findings (...2019Mar22.7D203 build, global draw off):

I can't get a clean "stop record" (in crop rec mode, any res). The record icon stays on the screen and I have to exit live view, reboot camera. But the files are good. 2496x1198 @24fps 10 bit no problem.

In non-crop mode press record locks camera. Have to R&R battery to clear.

Cannot get mlv_play to load at boot time. (granted it is so slow playing back files this size, but it has use in verifying framing in crop rec mode)

In debug I noticed that two memory patches appear when in live view. From what I read on other camera model threads this appears to be normal?

For now I'll spend more time with the Mar02, will report anything I find, but it seemed pretty stable the last couple of days.

best regards

dfort

This topic went through a cleanup and some off topic items were split off so I wanted to make sure 7D users get the message:

I made a new build that supports 10bit/12bit raw video and posted it on my downloads page. This works with both mlv_rec and mlv_lite and seems to be more stable than previous builds. In order to use mlv_play with reduced bit files you'll also need to load the raw_twk module.

Note that development is continuing on the 2.0.3 firmware. I also have an experimental 2.0.6 branch going on but I couldn't figure out how to get the Master processor to give up its secrets so it is only a partial firmware update. Any help with dumping the firmware for the Master would be greatly appreciated. Note that this would also help with other dual processor cameras like the 5DS, 5DS R, 5D4 and of course the 7D2.

skitron

Quote from: dfort on May 17, 2019, 12:32:51 AM
I made a new build that supports 10bit/12bit raw video and posted it on my downloads page. This works with both mlv_rec and mlv_lite and seems to be more stable than previous builds. In order to use mlv_play with reduced bit files you'll also need to load the raw_twk module.

Note that development is continuing on the 2.0.3 firmware. I also have an experimental 2.0.6 branch going on but I couldn't figure out how to get the Master processor to give up its secrets so it is only a partial firmware update. Any help with dumping the firmware for the Master would be greatly appreciated. Note that this would also help with other dual processor cameras like the 5DS, 5DS R, 5D4 and of course the 7D2.

Thanks! I've loaded it and will let you know if I find issues, but initial testing was very smooth and uneventful.

best regards

dfort

I got a report that the 5x zoom mode is off center. Not surprising, it is probably affecting other branches too. There was a similar issue a while back on the 60D. Read through the Raw Video framing is off when using 60D's 'Movie Crop Mode'. Help! topic to see how that was resolved.

There's also some reports of corrupted frames. I have not been able to reproduce the issue but I haven't tested extensively. Danne and Levas have been working on some solutions. It would be great to get the Digic 4 cameras onto their bleeding edge branches to see if these fixes are also working on these older cameras.

domo94

Very first clip I used with the new build.

99% great, basically.

ONE bad frame, BARELY, out of what I did so far.

dfort

Did the bad frame happen with mlv_rec or mlv_lite?

There are some experiments getting Digic 4 cameras working on the newer crop_rec branches but it only works with mlv_rec. Though don't expect the crop_rec module working on the 7D camera anytime soon.

domo94

I don't personally care for crop_rec.

All I used was mlv_rec.

This happened with 'card backup' setting enabled.

I disabled it after.

dfort

Ok--so the bad frame happened with mlv_rec. Good to know.

Have you tried mlv_lite on my experimental build? Advantage is that it should be using less processing power so possibly fewer corrupt frames. Disadvantage is that it doesn't record audio. (It is an early implementation of mlv_lite on this branch.)

domo94

Normally, no. But I don't find myself needing audio, most of the time. So I suppose I could use it for the better!

domo94

Ran MLV_Lite tonight while playing some volleyball.

Not very good results. Corrupted frames on the FIRST take upon module start / camera power on.
More corrupted frames than my first mlv_rec tests.

It barely ran for 10 seconds per series of shots, maybe a little longer on some others.
"EDMAC" error, problem producing frames, something like it.

MLV App is having a hard time reading the RAW data. Black levels are off by a bit, higher than the standard value I tend retrieve from normal clips. Value averages at 128, 129 (for optimal color balance / black level balance). Some peak at 145.

These tests were done in 10 bit, 60 fps. Varying resolutions / ratios. Mainly 2.20:1 or 2.35:1. 1600x680 resolutions or higher. I was trying to maximize quality whilst keeping optimate write speed.

The 7D can do like a 61 mb/s write speed, but even at 49/55 mb/s write speed, the camera still skips frames and stops. Until I turned on 'ALLOW frame skipping' and I never had an issue, and probably dropped very very very few frames.

I suppose the write speed jumps around a lot (because it does) to where one frame that peaks above 65 mb/s or so~ tends to cause a frame skip, therefore stopping my whole entire filming process.

As for MLV_rec... with newer tests, and FRAME SKIP to STOP recording activated, I get roughly around 1:25, TOPS in recording time. That's 10bit, 60 fps.

It varies, but that is my maximum output.

kitor

I don't see any info what card are you using, only this:
QuoteCard Warm Up: 128 MB (I have 128GB CF Card)

Have you tried with different cards?
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

dfort

Quote from: domo94 on May 24, 2019, 06:33:04 AM
These tests were done in 10 bit, 60 fps.

Hum--that could be the problem. All I tried was 24fps. Are you shooting mv720 or using fps override or ??

It would help to include information about the card you're using in your tests. I'm using SanDisk Extreme Pro and Komputerbay 1066x cards.

domo94

Lexar 128GB 800x.
I have no other cards

I remember when I first started with the 7d back in 2016, I would be able to record max res 24fps raw 14 bit continuously without fail, almost always. It was the Sept 2016 build if I was correct, but I was silent on the forums so I never reported anything.

No FPS override.

720p Canon video mode, which allows 60fps in raw.

billyllid

hello i need help please i have 7d mark 1 with 2.0.6 firmwar and i want to instal ML can you give link to download a ML for my canon 7D 2.0.6 version ? thank you

Walter Schulz

2 Options: Downgrade to 2.0.3. Link to firmware is included in install instructions.
Or use dfort's build for 2.0.6. https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/

billyllid

thank you !! it's safe to instal it with 2.0.6 ?

Walter Schulz

domo94

Hey dfort, can you post the LAST Mar build for 10-12 bit raw for the 7D?

The latest one is too finnicky and I can't get it to record past a minute, or 2. I got lucky and got 7 minutes yesterday but the last one seemed to be more consistent.

dfort

Quote from: domo94 on June 19, 2019, 11:05:25 PM
Hey dfort, can you post the LAST Mar build for 10-12 bit raw for the 7D?

That would be a step backwards. The one posted on my downloads page should be working much better than the previous versions. My suggestion if you want to help move this forward is to set up a development environment and build the various changesets. It isn't that difficult.

domo94

I'm just the worst with code.
I have bare minimum knowledge.

I know you've posted the resources before, could you point me in the right direction on what I can to do contribute?
The basics I need to learn, any programs to download?

I'm great with numbers / patterns.

dfort

You can download the Sourcetree app to clone and view the history for the main ML repository or any of the developers' repositories. Mine is located here:

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern

To set up a development system I created these tutorials:

Macintosh
Windows/Cygwin

Then there is this discussion for using the Linux subsystem in Windows 10 -- which can also help get you started if you are using Linux without Windows.

Compiling Magic Lantern on Windows 10 (using its Linux subsystem)

Once you are set up it is simply matter of picking a revision to of any of the various branches and compile for your platform. When you look at the changes between some of these revisions you'll realize just how nonsensical some of these claims are about old builds being so much better than the latest versions.

Mr. NVT

Apologies for being new here, new to ML and new to the d7 - the answer might be right in front of me, but I'm apparently blind.

I'm **REALLY** struggling with getting a clean HDMI from the camera.  I'm on v 2.0.6 - and can't find anywhere in the menu that works. 

I'm streaming on YouTube with Streamlabs OBS, capturing live view through the HDMI.  The issue I keep getting is that darn white focus box, or the face detection auto focus box.  It's always one or the other. 

Our show streams for 40 min at a time, and we're trying to upgrade from crappy logitec 920 webcams to our first DSLR through the elgato camlink.   

Thanks dfort for the build!

Walter Schulz

You need to downgrade to 2.0.3 and run experimental "lua_fix" build (Top of page -> Downloads -> Downloads (drop down menu) -> Experiments.

30 minutes issue: "Prefs" screen -> Powersave in LiveView -> 30-minutes timer Disabled
This setting is not available in nightly builds.

Clean HDMI: "Display" screen -> Clear overlays HalfShutter/WhenIdle/Always/Recording
Adjust as needed.

jack16277

Hello, I've been looking around this post to find something about the 2019Mar20 update.

I've tried it and seems stable (the screen started flickering, but it faded away and went back to normal), but the only thing that doesn't work is the autofocus in live mode (sigma lens, quite new model)

Maybe it's a known issue/bug, but couldn't find something about this specifically in the thread  ::)

Also, is it worth to update from the stable version?

Sorry, I know those are pretty stupid questions, I'm new to this and I'm experimenting, hope you understand  ;)

dfort

Quote from: jack16277 on October 02, 2019, 07:01:35 AM
Hello, I've been looking around this post to find something about the 2019Mar20 update.

What are you talking about--the magiclantern-lua_fix.2019Mar20.7D203 branch that is posted on the experiments downloads page? If autofocus is working with your lenses using the unified branch (a.k.a. Nightly build) but doesn't work on the lua_fix branch, file a bug report. Hum--if autofocus works with Canon lenses and not Sigma lenses maybe that's a bug too? I have no idea who would be able to look into that to fix it.

Quote from: Mr. NVT on September 14, 2019, 11:39:25 PM
I'm **REALLY** struggling with getting a clean HDMI from the camera.  I'm on v 2.0.6 - and can't find anywhere in the menu that works. 

Does it work with 2.0.3? Sorry, I don't use HDMI on this camera and haven't looked into the 2.0.6 builds lately.