dfort's experiments for 7D Mark I

Started by dfort, October 04, 2017, 05:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcoughlan

Excellent, thank you both. As I mentioned I'm a little rusty so it'll take me some time to wrap my head around everything but I hope to be able to contribute to the efforts soon!

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

MateX

Hello im new i want to install magic lantern but i have got me 7D with the 2.0.6 frimware so can i downgrade to 2.0.3

Sapporo

Quote from: MateX on July 02, 2018, 02:50:48 AM
Hello im new i want to install magic lantern but i have got me 7D with the 2.0.6 frimware so can i downgrade to 2.0.3
For 2.0.6 https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Feb28.7D206.zip

Or downgrade to 2.0.3. http://pel.hu/down/

dfort

Quote from: Sapporo on July 02, 2018, 05:41:21 PM
Or downgrade to 2.0.3. http://pel.hu/down/

If Pelican's site is down or hard to figure out I also have the 2.0.3 and 2.0.6 updates on my Bitbucket downloads page. Look for the file named 7D Canon Firmware for Testers.zip.

mister.rings

Hello everyone.
sorry, I downgraded to 203 thinking that the magic lantern worked more, but not changing ... the menu does not change .... it's all the same ... but you can make video without interruption with the 7d and ML?
Thank you.

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> User Guide -> FAQ/User Guide/Install Guide

H.264 recording lasts 29:59 and ML is able to restart recording but loosing some frames every 29:59.
MLV/raw recording is seamless.

dj_FoXX

Hello! sorry for my english, this is all Google translator) I have 7d, installed ML, on the first attempt, no problems, the firmware works. I use 7d only for photography, and it would be interesting to take part in testing and optimizing the firmware.

I found the lens adjustment function (+/-), did not understand how to use it.

I select DOTtune, I switch the lens to manual focus, I press play, the screen flashes several times, showing info, and the message "press INFO and tray again" appears.
OK. I go to LV, zoom 10x, focus in manual mode, than dot tune, press play - and the same "press INFO and tray again".

that I would like to add:
- autofocus illumination (as in nikon)
- confirmation of focusing on lenses without a chip.

and the last question, just installed ML, without changing the settings, does it affect any algorithms? (autofocus, exposure metering, photo processing, etc.)

BrokenSyntax

I have done some poking around on dfort's fork. Is the crop_rec_4k_5D2_7D branch the best one for progress? I'm keen to see if I can spend some hours seeing how to tackle the problems. So far I have things building which is relatively painless thanks to all the resources available.

IDA_ML

Quote from: BrokenSyntax on October 05, 2018, 12:44:56 AM
I have done some poking around on dfort's fork. Is the crop_rec_4k_5D2_7D branch the best one for progress? I'm keen to see if I can spend some hours seeing how to tackle the problems. So far I have things building which is relatively painless thanks to all the resources available.

BrokenSyntax,

If you have coding skills and are willing to help with 7D crop recording development, it might be a good idea to send a PM to Dfort and offer him your help.  I am sure, he will greatly appreciate that and will be able to give you some useful directions on how to proceed and what to do so that your help is efficient.  I personally am very excited about every step forward with the 7D because of its high potential to become the second best crop-recording camera after the 5D3.  And this is not only because of the very high write speed of 90 MB/s but also because of the unique film look that its sensor provides.  I have no coding background and skills whatsoever but would be glad to test and provide feedback on every new 7D build that you guys may be releasing.  I keep my thumbs pressed that you succeed.

BrokenSyntax

Quote from: IDA_ML on October 05, 2018, 10:06:43 AM
If you have coding skills and are willing to help with 7D crop recording development, it might be a good idea to send a PM to Dfort and offer him your help.  I am sure, he will greatly appreciate that and will be able to give you some useful directions on how to proceed and what to do so that your help is efficient.

I have just now done that, thanks.

I think to get lossless working correctly I need to have a deep dive into the silent module and figure out a way to get the lossless compression working there as that seems a more sensible place to start for me being relatively new to the codebase. At a glance it definitely looks like if I make progress with the silent module (by extension lossless logic) that the lossless 14-bit compression should work on the 7D with a few minimal tweaks. Time will tell, I'll have a stab at it over the weekend as I am very eager to breathe new life into the 7D I picked up yesterday.

r_non

Hi all, can somebody show me how to contribute to Magic Lantern development in general? I've got no coding knowledge (unless you count Matlab as one) but would like to support as much as possible.

For a start, I'm currently following this guide at https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6783.0

Am i in the right direction? Or should be using cygwin/mingw approach https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15894.0

Yea it would be cool to see 10 bit raw video on the 7d but is anyone still working on it? Which project is currently being focused on, maybe i can start there?

Many, many thanks!

dfort

The Cygwin tutorial should be the easiest to get you up and running on any version of Windows. You can't use QEMU with it but the 7D and QEMU aren't playing well together so that's not a deal breaker.

Setting up a Linux environment will give you a more feature rich development environment. If you are running Windows 10 you don't need to run a virtual Linux box because it has an embedded Linux subsystem.

A few of us are working on the 7D but there are very few of us and development isn't keeping up with other cameras from that era like the 5D2. Having a few more users willing to jump in and try to get some new features working on this camera would be greatly appreciated.

beanz

Has anyone come across this before? (See image). After recently upgrading to 2.0.6 and doing some successful tests I put my camera away. Today when I turned it on it was displaying multiple module fails. I turned them all off, restarted, turned them on again, restarted and everything is back to normal. Thanks

Walter Schulz

mlv_snd.mo does require mlv_rec.mo to be loaded. If not present this screen will be shown.
Unclear why mlv_rec.mo failed to load.

BTW: Why loading mlv_lite and mlv_rec together?

beanz

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 17, 2018, 01:32:00 PM
mlv_snd.mo does require mlv_rec.mo to be loaded. If not present this screen will be shown.

BTW: Why loading mlv_lite and mlv_rec together?
Hi Walter, not sure why that was on as well, I never use it and must have loaded it by accident. It's now off. I've loaded mlv_snd and she's back to normal. Cheers man

dfort

You are on 2.0.6?

That is not mainstream yet. If you are using it please let us know how well it is working out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domo94

So I'm not too sure, simply because I've been so mindless (so to speak) in using ML, but I've never paid attention to the card format because on my PC, it formats automatically to exFAT, but when I do the camera, it reverts to FAT32. Is that normal? Are we able to use the 7D with an exFAT formatted card?

I had a gig today that was absolutely horrendous for me on a technical standpoint - I had interviews, I did them raw, but apparently ML kept recording til I hit stop, but my card wrote only the 4GB limit. So now I'm stuck with incomplete interviews. Is there any possible way to get the 7D working with an exFAT format?

I don't recall ever being capped out with my RAW recordings on ML. I just filmed a bunch of footage back in June in Costa Rica and I don't remember having this issue & I'm sure as all hell I recorded way over a 1:18 time frame. (That's what it capped out today).

128GB LEXAR 800x CF CARD.

I'm going to upgrade to 2.0.6 firmware to be more attentive and critical of the performance of ML in order to help development. Please bug me if I'm slow. @lifestyledq is my handle on everything you'll find me on.
I will also upload some footage of the 7d, 14 bit RAW, with the Anti-aliasing filter bought from MOSAIC Engineering because I had told a thread in this forum that I would do so, but never actually did so.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: domo94 on November 24, 2018, 12:15:18 PMbut when I do the camera, it reverts to FAT32. Is that normal? Are we able to use the 7D with an exFAT formatted card?
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23064.msg208567#msg208567

Quote from: domo94 on November 24, 2018, 12:15:18 PM
but apparently ML kept recording til I hit stop, but my card wrote only the 4GB limit. So now I'm stuck with incomplete interviews.

Please check for files <Filename>.M00, M01, ... on card.
MLV recording on 7D uses file chunks up to file system limit.

If they are not there, please respond with build number, modules used.

domo94

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 24, 2018, 12:22:47 PM
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23064.msg208567#msg208567

Please check for files <Filename>.M00, M01, ... on card.
MLV recording on 7D uses file chunks up to file system limit.

If they are not there, please respond with build number, modules used.

Ah, yes, that's what it was! Thank you!
Maybe I glitched out today. Not sure.
I knew I could record more, I was so surprised to see my videos cut to the max today.

As for the reliability... I don't know anymore, to be honest. I recorded a solid 40 seconds of footage, and the next few minutes, I had about 5-7 seconds of footage before 'Frame skipped, stopping recording"

I just did the 2.0.6 upgrade. Running some basic tests and seeing how well it performs. Maybe it's a placebo, but I feel confident about this. dfort has done great work.

dfort

domo94

Quote from: dfort on November 24, 2018, 06:08:56 PM
8)

Make sure you also comment on the pull request.

I have a lot of extra time this weekend to learn more about this part to assist you.
So far 2.0.6 is pretty stable. Just getting a glitchy overlay when I switch between menus, live feed, playback, etc.
When I'm focusing, the overlay kind of glitch out and have a bunch of gray pixels everywhere.

I was curious, is there a possible way to keep ratio display with ML overlay (ex. I film 2.20:1 / 2.35:1 often & I need the framing area to frame properly) while disabling Focus Peaking when recording? I notice when I process my raw footage, I think I've created hot pixels on my camera, which can be fixed no problem, as well as getting stuck focused peaked pixels.

I'd like to lock my focus in with my focus peaking, but not have it appear when filming so that way I retrieve clean footage.
How much of a work around is that?
The option to disable global draw is there, but I need my framing if I'm gonna film 2.20:1 ratio. Maybe add a feature to focus peaking to turn off whilst recording?

How much of a task is that?

EDIT
*I have realized I have forgotten how to use Magic Lantern and completely overlook the simple things. Haha. Nevermind!*

domo94

I shot this clip in 14 bit raw, high ISO at 6400 I believe, WITH NOISE REDUCTION in post, exported at ProRes 422.

Sorry I'm posting so much, but is my camera sensor bad? Is it supposed to look like this? You can see those lines in the video that look like they are BAKED on the sensor.

I've done long exposure low light photography and I get hot pixels and just a bad photo overall. Or is the 7D Low light performance just not that good?

This shot is before post noise reduction, same clip.

nickxc

Quote from: domo94 on November 25, 2018, 01:06:19 AM

I shot this clip in 14 bit raw, high ISO at 6400 I believe, WITH NOISE REDUCTION in post, exported at ProRes 422.

Sorry I'm posting so much, but is my camera sensor bad? Is it supposed to look like this? You can see those lines in the video that look like they are BAKED on the sensor.

I've done long exposure low light photography and I get hot pixels and just a bad photo overall. Or is the 7D Low light performance just not that good?

This shot is before post noise reduction, same clip.

That noise reduction is actually really impressive. The Canon 7D has pretty bad low light performance. Those lines you are seeing is fix patterned noise and is totally normal.

personally I try to never shoot above 200iso. At 400iso I start getting hot pixels and the image noise gets really bad from then on.

your camerasensor is fine :)