dfort's experiments for 7D Mark I

Started by dfort, October 04, 2017, 05:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

Quote from: rob_6 on March 07, 2018, 07:07:58 PM
Would you mind sharing the instructions that you said dfort gave you...

The "earthquake" seems to come up only when ML reads the configuration files. Delete the "SETTINGS" folder from the ML directory on your card and chances are that the clips will be fine. Restart the camera and you'll probably get the "earthquake" phenomena. Not sure what is causing that or how to fix it.

Also, make sure not to load the raw_twk module. In fact, it is best to load only mlv_lite and nothing else.

IDA_ML

Rob,

The key to get the 7D working without earthquakes is to disable the RAW_twk module!  Please, read carefully my post 1486 and report back what you found.  I have just followed Dfort's instructions in his post #1483.

dfort

Right, Reply #1483 -- It is more convenient to reset using the Config menu.

Quote from: IDA_ML on February 09, 2018, 12:48:04 PM
If you could fix the freezing screen issue at 5x-magnification, this build will be perfectly useable !

Interesting thing is that reduced bit depth recording at 5x zoom mode was working before I started tinkering with this. This was discovered when I first started posting builds for users that couldn't compile but wanted to test the early 10bit/12bit development. Now that I look back on this it didn't make any sense compiling for platforms that didn't support this feature but as it turned out it worked on the 5D2 and other Digic 4 cameras but only in zoom mode.

I think reddeercity came up with a way to get 5x zoom mode working again but as far as I can see he hasn't published his code changes.

BTW--I'm sounding like a broken record but if you can follow the simple tutorials to compile ML from source it would really help! You don't need to know how to code, just pull in the changes and build.

IDA_ML

Dfort,

I am sorry, I have been very busy at work lately and this is not going to change for some time. Maybe, some other 7D owner could jump in and spend some time learning how to compile and help.  All I can do for now is that if some new build appears and you notify me with a PM, I will do my best to test it and report back as soon as I can.

dfort

Quote from: IDA_ML on March 08, 2018, 05:20:22 PM
...spend some time learning how to compile...

The tutorials take maybe 15 minutes to complete.

rob_6

Quote from: dfort on March 08, 2018, 05:31:12 PM
The tutorials take maybe 15 minutes to complete.
dfort,

I am willing to help out with compiling. Couple questions. You mentioned it takes 15 minutes to complete tutorials for compiling, which tutorials are your referring to? Is it compiling on a PC? I have a Mac. I saw your thread about compiling on a Mac (https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16012.0) Is that a method that would work for the 7D?

Lastly, could let me know your ideas that I could test when compiling for the 7D? I basically want to start off in the right direction. :)

Thanks!

Rob

dfort

@rob_6 - Yes, that's the tutorial. Shortcut, copy and paste the "Quick installation script" from the bottom of the first post into your terminal window, run it (just hit enter/return) and it will check your system and install the appropriate tools. One of the first checks is if you have a /usr/local directory that you can write to. If not, the instructions are near the top of the post. It involves temporarily disabling System Integrity Protection (SIP) in order to create a /usr/local you can use. Run the install script again, answer a few prompts, enter your system password and you are good to go. Honestly I have set up several Macs and PCs myself in just a few minutes and have gotten several ML users started on compiling. It is really easy!

Try cloning my repository and compile some of the various branches. I highly recommend the Sourcetree app especially when you are first starting out. I keep my repository in sync with the main "hudson" repository so you won't miss out on anything unless I'm on vacation. Of course it would be best if you also keep a local copy of the hudson repository.

Instead of me having to decide what to build and post for testing you can see the repository being updated in real time and decide if you want to try out the latest changes. It will be obvious from the commit notes and the changes to the code when something interesting for the 7D comes up. Don't be afraid of editing the code. If you really mess up simply delete the local repository and re-clone it from Bitbucket.

Once you tried changing a few lines of code consider creating a free account on Bitbucket and forking the main repository. Start making your own branches, merge branches, create pull requests. You don't need to know much coding to get started. Some of the most useful testing is to simply follow a1ex's instructions. Ok--sometimes it isn't easy to follow his instructions but he has more patience with users that show some initiative and willingness to learn.

At this time the most interesting action for the 7D is in a new branch in my repository named crop_rec_4k_Digic4. The goal is to get as many features in that branch working on Digic 4 cameras. So far none of the new features, lossless compression, reduced bit rate and the crop_rec module are working but it looks like the features that work in the unified branch are still pretty much intact so that's a good sign.

rob_6

Quote from: dfort on March 08, 2018, 10:36:08 PM
@rob_6 - Yes, that's the tutorial.
@dfort,

Thanks or the detailed response. I really appreciate it! :)

Sincerely,

Rob

Sapporo

Quote from: dfort on January 18, 2018, 05:41:45 PM
I have never used that module but if I got the addresses right it should work.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/878/update-to-7d206/diff#chg-modules/io_crypt/io_crypt.c

[EDIT] The example shows the addresses for 2.0.3 so I updated the example. The values used in the module didn't change with the firmware update.
Updated my 7D to 2.0.6 today. Installed magiclantern-Nightly.2018Feb28.7D206.zip from your https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/

Downloaded io_crypt https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/io_crypt/2/artifact/modules/io_crypt/io_crypt.mo

When I activate the module I get: "io_crypt: camera unsupported".

Walter Schulz

True:
else if(is_camera("7D", "2.0.3"))
    {
        trace_write(iocrypt_trace_ctx, "io_crypt: Detected 7D");
        iodev_table = 0x2D3B8;
        iodev_ctx = 0x85510;
        iodev_ctx_size = 0x18;

else
    {
        NotifyBox(2000, "io_crypt: Camera unsupported");
        return CBR_RET_ERROR;

dfort? g3gg0?

Sapporo

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 19, 2018, 08:00:30 PM
True:
else if(is_camera("7D", "2.0.3"))
    {
        iodev_table = 0x2D3B8;
        iodev_ctx = 0x85510;
        iodev_ctx_size = 0x18;

else
    {
        NotifyBox(2000, "io_crypt: Camera unsupported");
        return CBR_RET_ERROR;

dfort? g3gg0?
Not really an issue for me anymore. I updated to use the WFT-E5 I got last week, but it seems WFT-E5 isn't really my thing  :(

I will sell it and I have already downgraded the firmware to 2.0.3 again.

dfort

Sorry for the delayed response. @Sapporo got the io_crypt module from the downloads page so it is specifying 7D.203. The 7D.206 build requires an updated module.

I followed the instructions in the code to find the proper values for the new firmware and turns out that it didn't change. If that's true for all firmware updates it should be possible to change the way we specify cameras like this:

else if(is_camera("7D", "*"))
    {
        iodev_table = 0x2D3B8;
        iodev_ctx = 0x85510;
        iodev_ctx_size = 0x18;
    }

Walter Schulz

IMO it's a design flaw to expect such things *not* to change. Disclaimer: IANAP
Suggestion: Just add another else-if for 2.0.6 and both 2.0.3 and 2.0.6 are covered.

Frank7D

I have been away for awhile and am checking in briefly, but I saw a comment about the screen freezing in 5x crop mode, so I thought I'd mention the way I deal with this (when using an old 12-bit raw 7D experimental build): Just before I hit the "START STOP" button to begin a shot, I hit the "INFO" button four times to cycle through the various modes until I'm back at the original mode.

Rogan Thoerson

I tried on my 7D it does seem to work. I needed to update MLV producer to decode corectly the 10-bit 2.5k that i made.
I could record 37sec, so it looks like that i am a bit over the speed of the card.
So maybe try 2.2k or 2k might work, still it is really awesome !!!!

I just wonder why is it not yet in the nightly build or if we can add the fuctionality to the Nightly build ?
And is there a possibility one day to make a 8bit raw ? Because it would still be better than the native H264 we have on camera. Or i am wrong ?

I am never programmed such things as camera so maybe it will be a long learning curve to learn such things especially if no tutorial because at this time i only tried to install so i don't know if there is some source / compiler / development program / emulator to test the code in computer before risking the camera...
But if can be any help i would be glad to learn.
7D Mark 1

IDA_ML

A few days ago, I decided to check again the 5x magnification mode of the old and still my favorite 7D at its maximum 2520x1200 resolution at 10 bits uncompressed.  Here is a short video shot with the December 1-st, 2017 experimental build ("the haunting one") which allows Life View operation for proper subject tracking:

https://vimeo.com/265597058

As you see, this old camera can provide ML RAW video with superb quality in terms of fine detail, dynamic range, transition smoothness, etc.  Due to its extremely fast interface, (mine writes/reads at 90/110 MB/s) and unprecedented battery life, reliability and stability, it still could rival the 5D3 for serious work only at a fraction of its cost.  Used 7D-s in a mint condition can now be obtained at about 300 Euros in Europe.

Dfort put an enormous effort in trying to get the 7D working at 10 and 12 bits uncompressed and even achieved a remarkable success with resolving the "earthquake" issue.  Unfortunately, without much help from the other developers, he could not get very far.  I hope, the above video will encourage Dfort, Nikfreak, A1ex and other developers to continue their efforts towards porting 4K crop recording to the 7D and hope, there will be soon a new experimental build to test on this fantastic camera.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: IDA_ML on April 22, 2018, 01:12:22 PM
(mine writes at 110 MB/s)

How? Details, please. Both my cams (one dead) max out very much below and never heard or read about users running such write rate before.
Benchmark snapshot available?

rob_6

Hi IDA_ML,

Where did you get the December 1st, 2017 experimental build? Is it still online? I didn't see it on dfort's download page. Your footage shot with that build looks amazing!

Rob

A few days ago, I decided to check again the 5x magnification mode of the old and still my favorite 7D at its maximum 2520x1200 resolution at 10 bits uncompressed.  Here is a short video shot with the December 1-st, 2017 experimental build ("the haunting one") which allows Life View operation for proper subject tracking:

https://vimeo.com/265597058

As you see, this old camera can provide ML RAW video with superb quality in terms of fine detail, dynamic range, transition smoothness, etc.  Due to its extremely fast interface, (mine writes at 110 MB/s) and unprecedented battery life, reliability and stability, it still could rival the 5D3 for serious work only at a fraction of its cost.  Used 7D-s in a mint condition can now be obtained at about 300 Euros in Europe.

Dfort put an enormous effort in trying to get the 7D working at 10 and 12 bits uncompressed and even achieved a remarkable success with resolving the "earthquake" issue.  Unfortunately, without much help from the other developers, he could not get very far.  I hope, the above video will encourage Dfort, Nikfreak, A1ex and other developers to continue their efforts towards porting 4K crop recording to the 7D and hope, there will be soon a new experimental build to test on this fantastic camera.

dfort

The build is still on my downloads page. Look for the one labeled: raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState-wip.2018Feb04.7D203.zip

I don't like linking directly to the file because the link will break when the file is updated.

rob_6

Quote from: dfort on April 22, 2018, 11:46:32 PM
The build is still on my downloads page. Look for the one labeled: raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState-wip.2018Feb04.7D203.zip

I don't like linking directly to the file because the link will break when the file is updated.

Thanks dfort!

IDA_ML

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 22, 2018, 01:14:58 PM
How? Details, please. Both my cams (one dead) max out very much below and never heard or read about users running such write rate before.
Benchmark snapshot available?

I performed that test with the Lexar x1066 card quite a while ago but did not bother to make a record of the benchmark test.  I just had the number 110 MB/s in my head.  Now I repeated it again and have to admitt, I have made a small mistake in the above post, meaning the "read" and not the "write" speed.  I appologize for that and have edited my post.  Since I don't have the Lexar any more, I repeated the test with a somewhat slower card (SanDisk x1066) and still get 89/106 MB/s write/read speeds respectively:

In my opinion, this is still a quite impressive write speed on the 7D and perfectly suitable for 4K crop recording.  Only 5D3 is faster but it has also a larger sensor.  So, I expect, both cameras will be on par.

windh

Hi all.

Recently shot some raw material at my local airport with some aircraft landing and taking off. After conforming to .DNG and importing into Resolve, I realize that the audio drops out in every clip. here's a screencap:

Nov 2015 nightly build.

dcoughlan

Inspired by this footage I just tried recording 2520x1192 / 10bits / FPS override to 23.976 FPS / MLV_LITE, using the build that @dfort linked to below.

The LiveView was fine for framing but froze up when I hit record. To clarify are you able to view the LiveView during recording, or just framing?

FWIW I'm using a slower card (Lexar 1000x), but able to get between :25 and :40 seconds of recording with the above settings. Unfortunately the LiveView consistently locks up after I hit record regardless of the resolution (tested down to 1920x1200). It's been years since I've used ML but I have a vague memory of this happening before so maybe a known issue?

Getting 4K out of this camera would be awesome, so whatever I can do to contribute I'm happy to lend a hand. It's been about a decade since I've done any coding so I doubt I'll be any help on that front, but I've bookmarked dforts compiling tutorial and will get an environment set up on my machine in the next few days. Really impressed with how far it has come already. Hats off to dfort and the rest for their efforts.

IDA_ML

Quote from: dcoughlan on May 15, 2018, 06:29:39 AM
Inspired by this footage I just tried recording 2520x1192 / 10bits / FPS override to 23.976 FPS / MLV_LITE, using the build that @dfort linked to below.

The LiveView was fine for framing but froze up when I hit record. To clarify are you able to view the LiveView during recording, or just framing?

FWIW I'm using a slower card (Lexar 1000x), but able to get between :25 and :40 seconds of recording with the above settings. Unfortunately the LiveView consistently locks up after I hit record regardless of the resolution (tested down to 1920x1200). It's been years since I've used ML but I have a vague memory of this happening before so maybe a known issue?

Getting 4K out of this camera would be awesome, so whatever I can do to contribute I'm happy to lend a hand. It's been about a decade since I've done any coding so I doubt I'll be any help on that front, but I've bookmarked dforts compiling tutorial and will get an environment set up on my machine in the next few days. Really impressed with how far it has come already. Hats off to dfort and the rest for their efforts.

Dcoughlan,

There is an even older build that can unlock the frozen Live View screen during 10/12-bit recording at 2520x1200 resolution on the 7D.  I have been using it a lot lately because it is very stable and easy to work with and provides excellent results.  That build is called:

magiclantern-10bit_12bit_raw_twk_crop_rec.2016Dec01.7D203

You can find it when you scroll down the following repository:

https://bitbucket.org/reddeercity/magic-lantern_10-12bit/downloads/

To unlock the Life View please do the following:

1) Press 5x-magnification and set "RAW-video" to 2520x1200 resolution and 10-bit

2) Focus and adjust your exposure.  Use Global draw On.  Activate "Zebras" to avoid overexposure in the highlights

3) While at 5x-magnification, press the "trash" button, go to "RAW-video" and then press "Q".  This will bring the submenu of "RAW-video"

4) Go to "Preview" and press "Canon", then change to "Auto".  Pressing half shutter will show you a frozen Life View screen

5) Press the "trash" button again and then the "Q"-button.  Now switch the preview mode again to "Canon" and press half shutter again.  This unlocks the Life View screen and you can start recording while enjoying a 5x-magnified composition during recording.  If you turn also Global Draw OFF before you start recording, this will give you a substantially longer record time.  I get 45 sec. on a x1000 card at 2520x1200 resolution at 24 fps.

If you need sound with 10-bit RAW video, you may switch to "RAW video (MLV)".  In this case, your maximum resolution will be 2496x1200.  Also you can film at 1728x972 14-bit with sound in the Normal uncropped mode.  10 and 12-bit recording in that mode will provide earthquake shaking.

==============================================

Your kind offer to help with further development of ML for the 7D is God sent and I am sure, Dfort will greatly appreciate it since he badly needs someone with knowledge of compiling to continue his work.  With your help, I am sure, we will soon see 4K-crop recording on the fantastic 7D.

dfort

@dcoughlan - If you want to play around with my experiments you are more than welcome. If you want to tweak my experimental builds that are still being hailed as "magical" you can open the autoexec.bin file with a text editor to see where it came from. For example the magiclantern-10bit_12bit_raw_twk_crop_rec.2016Dec01.7D203 on reddeercity's download directory looks like this in a text editor:

Magic Lantern Nightly.2016Dec01.7D203
Camera   : 7D
Firmware : 203
Changeset: b3dfbe7194f3 (x-perimental) tip
Built on : 2016-12-01 23:00:07 by rosiefort@RosieFoComputer

If you clone my repository -- https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern -- and use hg to find that changeset "hg update b3dfbe7194f3" you can branch off from there and see if you can get all the pieces working.

Good luck!