dfort's experiments for 7D Mark I

Started by dfort, October 04, 2017, 05:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

I was talking about SD-to-CF adapters, not about Micro-SD-to-SD adapters. Second one are just a bunch of connectors und wires without any electronics involved. I use them frequently in 650D and other devices and issues I had: Next to non-existent = About same amount I'm having with full-size SD.

laserbit

Uninstalled ML, the SD-to-CF Adapter works perfectly, once I reinstalled ML, it stopped working again. For some reasons it's Magic Lantern that does not support the adapter. Any idea to fix it? I would like to use some big SDs I have for registering RAW videos. Can I provide any kind of additio.al detail?

Walter Schulz

Please lookup "crap" and "avoid at all costs" in a dictionary of your choice.
If you insist using those adapters with ML you have to contact adapter manufacturer and ask for remedy.

rob_6

I have been using my 7D to record long takes for events that I film in MLV RAW with Sound at 1728x724. I can record for about 65 minutes for that resolution which is around 200-205 gb of space. I have discovered that it doesn't matter what resolution I record, it always stops when the card fills up to 200 gb of space. The gui freezes and I have to restart the camera and pull the battery to be able to record for the remaining time. Does anyone know why this happens? Is there a way to fix it to fill the entire card?

EDIT - When recording to a 256 gb compact flash card.

dfort

Sounds like you reached the limit of a 256 GB CF card. Yeah, it is frustrating but because of formatting overhead and the different ways manufacturers measure capacity you will never be able to put 256 GB of data on a 256 GB card. You can Google to find out why.

Just out of curiosity, what is the free space of one of your cards that has filled up with 200 GB of MLV files?

[EDIT] Unless you are using 512 GB cards--you didn't specify the size of card you're using so I'm assuming 256 GB.

rob_6

Hi Dfort,

Thanks for your response. Sorry, yes, it is a 256gb card that I am recording to. And once I restart the camera after it stops at 200gb I can record the remaining 56gb on the card. When I download the card the card is full at 256gb. :)

Its strange because I can film a take that is 30gb of space and then try to record another take and let it go as long as it can and the camera will stop recording once it hits 170gb. So it stops once it hits a total of 200gb. What I have been doing is just powering off the camera before I record a second long take so I can record at least 200gb. It just seems like there is something that is keeping it from recording more that 200gb. I was just hoping its an easy fix. :) Which I am sure is never really the case. 

Thanks again for your response! Do you have any ideas of what may be causing this?

Rob

a1ex

To narrow down, you can run a couple of tests: with a card formatted in the camera, record as much as you can, with:
- mlv_rec with sound (your current configuration that fails)
- mlv_rec without sound
- mlv_lite
- raw_rec (with some older version), only if the above did not work
- custom code that writes something to a file over and over (minimal example), only if the above did not work

Also, how does the crash look like? (e.g. can you film the camera screen during the crash?)

rob_6

Quote from: a1ex on November 17, 2017, 09:11:38 PM
To narrow down, you can run a couple of tests: with a card formatted in the camera, record as much as you can, with:
- mlv_rec with sound (your current configuration that fails)
- mlv_rec without sound
- mlv_lite
- raw_rec (with some older version), only if the above did not work
- custom code that writes something to a file over and over (minimal example), only if the above did not work

Also, how does the crash look like? (e.g. can you film the camera screen during the crash?)

Alex!

Great idea on the tests to narrow it down. Here are the results for the tests and an interesting finding!

- mlv_rec with sound (your current configuration that fails) - Fails at 200 gb approximately 48 minutes (1728x972)
- mlv_rec without sound - Same as above... Fails at 200 gb approximately 48 minutes at (1728x972)
- mlv_lite - DOES NOT FAIL. I can record for the amount of space on the card at 256gb and about 60 minutes at (1728x972)

So I guess there has been something introduced in mlv_rec that causes it to stop at 200gb? Do you have any ideas of what it could be?

Another solution would be to add sound to mlv_lite. Is there a module that can be loaded to allow sound to work with mlv_lite?

Per your request, here is a video of how it stops when recording mlv_rec like your requested. A few seconds into the video you will see the timer stop and the word "Stopped" appear behind the recording icon. The image doesn't freeze but the magic lantern menu is frozen as you can see near the end of the video:
http://vimeo.com/243385811

I am interested to hear what you think. :)

Thanks!

Rob

a1ex

Not sure what might be causing the issue, but mlv_rec's file I/O backend is pretty different from mlv_lite's; maybe g3gg0 has some ideas.

There is work in progress for making mlv_lite compatible with mlv_snd.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: rob_6 on November 18, 2017, 12:10:11 AM
A few seconds into the video you will see the timer stop and the word "Stopped" appear behind the recording icon.

Are there 2 beeps when "Stopped" appears?

rob_6

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 18, 2017, 03:29:10 PM
Are there 2 beeps when "Stopped" appears?

Hi Walter,

I don't hear any beeps when I use mlv_rec. I don't even get any beeps when I start recording either. The Beep, test tones in the Audio tab of ML has it set to on but they don't beep when start, stop, or even freezing of recording happens.

Let me know if there is another way I can test that for you or if there is a way to enable those beeps.

Rob

rob_6

Quote from: a1ex on November 18, 2017, 03:06:22 PM
Not sure what might be causing the issue, but mlv_rec's file I/O backend is pretty different from mlv_lite's; maybe g3gg0 has some ideas.

There is work in progress for making mlv_lite compatible with mlv_snd.
Alex,

Yeah, that would be great if g3gg0 has any ideas. :)

Thanks again for helping me debug the issue. :)

Rob

Asanchezleache97

Hi! I'm trying to uninstall and remove the ML bootflag to make my camera more responsive, since I use it for street.
I have the 2.03 firmware with the August Nightly installed, and when trying to follow the instructions (Select "Firmware Update") the camera simply tells me that there is no firmware in the CF card.
All Youtube tutorials I see use the same procedure on several cameras. What am I doing wrong?

Walter Schulz

Format card using cardreader.
Format card in cam.
Copy extracted nightly build content to card.
Run firmware upgrade.
Report back.

Asanchezleache97

Thanks a lot! No trace of ML anymore. Not that I don't think it's an amazing tool, just not for my work... I'll still miss the detailed DOF information and instant zoom in playback :)

Walter Schulz

I don't understand your reply.
Does your cam show some information with this card or not? If portable display test works your cam's bootflag is set and your diagnosis "No trace of ML anymore" is wrong.

domo94

Quote from: tonij on October 22, 2017, 07:18:09 AM
It's cool to read there's others out there who also love the 7D. I agree it's quite the weapon even as it currently stands
For a long time I've been debating to get a VAF filter, if theres a 7D user out there that has one I'd be very interested to see DNG's with and without

I bought the VAF Filter for my 7d.
I'm slacking- haven't used it much, but I can pump out some examples for you if you'd like to see it!

rob_6

Quote from: domo94 on November 23, 2017, 10:03:03 PM
I'm slacking- haven't used it much, but I can pump out some examples for you if you'd like to see it!

Domo94,

I would love to see some tests you have ewiht your VAF filter. I would especially like to see some static shots with and without the filter so I can see the difference in RAW recording if you get the chance! Thanks!

Rob

Xylo

Hello to everyone
I was wondering if this new ML is also compatible with canon 7D firmware 2.0.6. If not which are the solutions to have ML installed?
Thanks,

tonij

Quote from: domo94 on November 23, 2017, 10:03:03 PM

Yes please!!

laserbit

Quote from: Xylo on November 25, 2017, 12:19:57 PM
Hello to everyone
I was wondering if this new ML is also compatible with canon 7D firmware 2.0.6. If not which are the solutions to have ML installed?
Thanks,
as far as I know only 2.0.3 is stable at the moment, so you have to downgrade. I downgraded from 2.0.5 to 2.0.3 with no issues, but I think that from 2.0.6 will be the same.

dfort

Sort of a low priority project and highly experimental but I do have a build for 2.0.6 on my downloads page. Just updated the pull request for this so there aren't any conflicts if anyone wants to play around with it.

12georgiadis

Hello everyone,

is it possible to implement H264 proxy mode in the 10/12 bits builds ? I'd like to make some test with 10 bits raw and very low bitrate (ex : 0.6x) H264 proxy. If this works, we can have a real time playback to watch the shot and better evaluate actor's performance on set for fiction film ! And for post-production, we can have a direct offline/online workflow, thanks to danne's switch workflow.

dfort

Quote from: 12georgiadis on January 02, 2018, 07:57:12 PM
is it possible to implement H264 proxy mode in the 10/12 bits builds ?

I haven't tried it yet. 10/12 bit needs some more work first. The plan (my plan) is to also add lossless compression and the crop_rec module and all the other goodies from the crop_rec_4k branch but it is going to take a lot of work to get there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12georgiadis

Quote from: dfort on January 02, 2018, 08:56:27 PM
I haven't tried it yet. 10/12 bit needs some more work first. The plan (my plan) is to also add lossless compression and the crop_rec module and all the other goodies from the crop_rec_4k branch but it is going to take a lot of work to get there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ok, I understand Dfort. As far as I understand, there is still a bug with cropmode 10 bits, right ? Ok, I can't code, but can test builds of course.