dfort's experiments for 7D Mark I

Started by dfort, October 04, 2017, 05:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

12georgiadis

Quote from: dfort on October 18, 2017, 11:09:03 PM
Don't expect too much too soon. I found the addresses needed to get a very basic crop_rec module working, just mv720 in 3x3 mode. However, there's going to be a lot more work to do to get the 7D to compile in the crop_rec_4k branch. I'm in over my head and will need some help with this.
Good to hear that Dfort. We'll help you the best as we can [emoji4]

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

taestea

Hello, new ML user and forum member here.

Been a 7D user for many years though.

I am using the mini usb > rca cable that comes with the 7D and using an RCA to 3.5mm female adapter to monitor the audio through my headphones but plugging into the A/V mini usb disables the LCD screen (the headphone monitoring does work)

I am sure you are all probably very aware of this scenario but I've been searching everywhere online (maybe not hard enough?) and can't seem to find a definitive answer but I was wondering if there was a hidden menu for Headphone/Audio Monitoring for the 7D on ML? (Maybe through enabling modules?)

On the ML user guide page (https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide) under Headphone Monitoring it states that "This feature is not available on 600D/T3i" but nothing about the 7D so I am assuming it is an available option for 7D.

I've seen videos on youtube about headphone monitoring using ML (different canon models) but their ML audio menu had a lot more options than the 7D ML build that I am running (Latest Build (2017-10-03 22:30))

So I am wondering if headphone monitoring WHILE being able to view the LCD is possible on the 7D?

Thank you so much!

-T

tonij

It's cool to read there's others out there who also love the 7D. I agree it's quite the weapon even as it currently stands
For a long time I've been debating to get a VAF filter, if theres a 7D user out there that has one I'd be very interested to see DNG's with and without

12georgiadis

Quote from: tonij on October 22, 2017, 07:18:09 AM
It's cool to read there's others out there who also love the 7D. I agree it's quite the weapon even as it currently stands
For a long time I've been debating to get a VAF filter, if theres a 7D user out there that has one I'd be very interested to see DNG's with and without
you have tests in EOSHD. But there is a new VAF filter version that is coming. More efficient with wide angle and better AF integration.

dfort

New filter for an old camera? Interesting. Do you have a link for that?

12georgiadis

Quote from: dfort on October 23, 2017, 07:20:23 PM
New filter for an old camera? Interesting. Do you have a link for that?
For almost all cameras (and we can ask for eos. Message from mosaic :
we've been developing the capability to intrinsically compensate for the optical thickness of our supplementary filter, and if we introduce a new filter for the 100D, I would very much like to include this compensation.  This would mean a couple of things:  First, there would be no back focus shift as we've had with all our previous DSLR filters, so all lenses should continue to focus normally, and for zoom lenses, to track focus normally during zooming.  It would also finally fix the difficulties our filters have when operating with extreme wide angle lenses.  I'm not sure how wide of lenses you've used before, but even our current DSLR filters have difficulties when the lens gets wider than about 10-11mm, with for example circular fisheye lenses such as the Samyang 8mm, presenting the most problems.  With our new compensation all of that should be fixed.  The filter would also install and remove easily, without requiring any shimming, as we currently do with our Blackmagic filters.

dfort

Was that message sent to you directly from Mosaic Engineering? I can't find it anywhere on their site or any site for that matter using Google. Sorry, I studied journalism and don't believe anything unless it can be verified.

12georgiadis

Quote from: dfort on October 23, 2017, 08:31:22 PM
Was that message sent to you directly from Mosaic Engineering? I can't find it anywhere on their site or any site for that matter using Google. Sorry, I studied journalism and don't believe anything unless it can be verified.
Dfort, this is a private message that he sent to me yesterday. I know « one source = no source » but you can write him or I can forward you the e-mail ;-)

domo94

Is there anyway that the 7D, given it's good buffer speed, can sit an hour or two, recording 1080p h.264 video? or even 720, maybe?

Walter Schulz

Buffer speed in H.264 was never a problem for all movie enabled cameras. 1080p25 in H.264 with IPB frames will just need about 6 MByte/s. Don't know what you mean by "even 720". Look into manual p. 157. Bandwidth requirements for both modes are listed as identical.

If you can live with about half a second lost every 29:59, cam will do just fine. Cam will stop recording, ML will force restart. Mirror and shutter will do the noisy thing during stop/restart.
Don't know if a battery grip will host energy for 2h though. External power source might come handy.

Setting: Movie tab -> Movie Tweaks -> Movie restart.

There is a bug with this option on 7D. You won't be able to stop recording that easy. See https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/2065/movie-restart-7d-stuck-in-loop-cannot-stop

RAW/MLV does not have this limitation. No gap in recording. Bandwidth and memory space might cause issues.

dfort

I'm still getting familiar with this camera. The LiveView screen looks unlike other cameras I've seen. Is this right or did I mess something up?

reddeercity

Looks like the good old Digic4 to me  :D
just like my 5D2 , the only difference is .raw loaded (for testing , no audio) with mlv audio meters are enabled
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.msg192525#msg192525

dfort

Interesting, good to know I didn't somehow mess things up. Yes, this is a Digic 4 camera but it has two processors, a slave and a master. I searched all over about what the 7D_MASTER platform is about but didn't find much information. So I decided to compile it and see what it does.

This is running on a 7D.203, I would have expected it to do something more like dump the firmware but this is all I got out of it. The 7D_MASTER must be used for something and apparently it is being actively maintained. Just the other day g3gg0 made this commit for the 7D_MASTER to the unified branch. Can anyone enlighten us on this mysterious platform?

g3gg0

Quote from: dfort on November 01, 2017, 04:21:15 PMCan anyone enlighten us on this mysterious platform?

various patches/changes have to be made on the master digic.
but autoexec.bin is executed on the slave only.

luckily FIR files get executed on both master and slave, so we can put ML code in a FIR if we need to patch stuff on master.
so the MASTER part is meant to implement the necessary stuff ML needs to be patched and then packed into the FIR along with "real" ML for the slave.

only when executed through a "firmware update", ML is then able to patch this stuff. think it was only cache hack related stuff.
IIRC only the high bitrate video hack used these features.

short: not really needed
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

dfort

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 01, 2017, 11:53:25 PM
short: not really needed

Great because I skipped over it. Got the 7D working with the current 2.0.6 firmware. I put a test build on my Bitbucket downloads page but warning, you need to make sure the camera boot flag is set before updating the firmware because there isn't a .FIR for 2.0.6 yet.

So is there anything new in the 2.0.6 firmware that will get the 7D into the crop_rec_4k branch? Not as far as I can see though it still might be possible. My biggest hurdle right now is trying to figure how to get CONFIG_EDMAC_RAW_SLURP working on this Digic 4 camera like was done for other Digic 4 cameras:

#ifdef CONFIG_60D
#define DEFAULT_RAW_BUFFER MEM(MEM(0x5028))
#endif

#ifdef CONFIG_600D
#define DEFAULT_RAW_BUFFER MEM(MEM(0x51FC))
#endif

Any clues how to figure out this turducken code for the 7D?

Audionut

Forgot to say thanks the other day for the sf_dump code you fixed, and the build you pushed for the 6D.

You've been pushing so much code lately.  Thanks dfort.  Exciting when the code base is constantly expanding.  :)

john5788

Quote from: Audionut on November 02, 2017, 04:11:37 AM
Forgot to say thanks the other day for the sf_dump code you fixed, and the build you pushed for the 6D.

You've been pushing so much code lately.  Thanks dfort.  Exciting when the code base is constantly expanding.  :)

Just wanted to chime in and say I agree and thanks!

I've had a T5i and dfort got ML running on the latest 1.1.5 firmware. Now that I've switched to a 7D, I'm happy to see a push for ML on the latest firmware on this platform as well!

reddeercity

Quote from: dfort on November 02, 2017, 12:20:41 AM
My biggest hurdle right now is trying to figure how to get CONFIG_EDMAC_RAW_SLURP working on this Digic 4 camera like was done for other Digic 4 cameras:

#ifdef CONFIG_60D
#define DEFAULT_RAW_BUFFER MEM(MEM(0x5028))
#endif

#ifdef CONFIG_600D
#define DEFAULT_RAW_BUFFER MEM(MEM(0x51FC))
#endif

I been trying to figure this out too , it seems that "RAW_LV_BUFFER_ALLOC_SIZE"
#ifdef CONFIG_5D2
#define RAW_LV_BUFFER_ALLOC_SIZE (2040*1267)
#endif

works on digic 4 (mostly) as noted  here , it funny that it works on 1100d (digic4) that's where I got the idea and code from the 10-12bit branch to try on my 5d2 , maybe give it a try on 7D.

dfort

Quote from: Audionut on November 02, 2017, 04:11:37 AM

Quote from: john5788 on November 02, 2017, 07:04:45 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say I agree and thanks!

I've had a T5i and dfort got ML running on the latest 1.1.5 firmware. Now that I've switched to a 7D, I'm happy to see a push for ML on the latest firmware on this platform as well!

Now where's that blushing emoji?

To be fair, I'm more successful on the easier, low priority stuff. Every time I try something extra challenging, like porting the 7D to the crop_rec_4k branch or get lossless compression working on a camera that I don't have in my hands (6D, 650D) I tend to hit ceilings and walls.

Anyway, enough about me, there's no "I" in Magic Lantern. Oh, wait....

IDA_ML

Remarkable progress, Dfort!  I all the time keep my thumbs pressed that you get RAW_SLURP working on the amazing 7D!  The crop_rec_4k and lossless compression will make the 7D a hell of a camera with its fast write speed and long battery life.

It may be interesting for you to know that yesterday I used my 100D with the sound recording feature in the lossless 8...11 bit mode for the first time on a long event shooting, (a 4 hour long street protest meeting).  I shot almost 50 GB of RAW footage (about 25 min.) with sound in the 1736x976 resolution switching back and forth from Normal to Movie Crop Mode all the time.  And guess what.  I did not have a single camera crash !!!  Most of the time it stayed at 43 deg. C.  It would barely reach 50 deg. C even with clips that were 3 to 4 minutes long.  I just had to change the battery once when it ran out of juice.   I was amazed how stable and cool the camera was.  I wish, my 7D would work in the same way but at 2520x1200 resolution, lossless and with sound.  Can you imagine what video quality we would have with the 7D at this resolution?  I know, I am dreaming but nonetheless, take your time and keep up the good work!

rob_6

dfort!

I appreciate all your hard work on this forum! Excellent job! I am following this thread closely and am ready to test with my 7D whenever its ready!

Thanks again!

Rob

laserbit

Hi Guys, I'm im trouble with my "new" 7D and Magic Lantern... I'm not able to let it work. I don't know if this is the right place to write for asking support or not since I am new and I don't know very well all forum sections...
If not, I kindly ask to the mods to move the post in the right place.

What I have:
-Eos 7D with FW 2.0.5,
-Adapter CF to MicroSD
-64GB MicroSD
-Magic Lantern Nightly Build "Nightly.2017Oct31.7D203"

What I did:
-Downgraded FW from 2.0.5 to 2.0.3
-Formatted MicroSD from my card
-Copied inside the Nightly files
-Run update to install ML on the card

What happened:
After the reboot the camera did not stat anymore

Then I made a backup of the MicroSD files and tried to format it again from the PC and copy the files again, but with this Card the camera does not want to boot anymore

If I try a normal CF (I have a pny 32gb 100mb/s) the camera boots properly
I tried also to put another microsd in the adapter (I have a 128GB Samsung MIcroSD), but also with this the camera does not want to boot. Probably the installation was not completed successfully, but the boot flag has been set on the camera.
What I have to do now? I have also seen the 2.0.6 FW, is there any chance to upgrade and let ML work with this FW?

Thank you

Walter Schulz

Most SD(micro-SD)-to-CF adapters are crap and will cause compatibility problems (=unusable) with ML. Avoid at all costs.

laserbit

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 09, 2017, 12:21:51 PM
Most SD(micro-SD)-to-CF adapters are crap and will cause compatibility problems (=unusable) with ML. Avoid at all costs.

Removed the CF adapter and copied the files on the standard CF, it worked since first boot like a charm! Thanks, now ML is working properly. THe problem is that before testing ML, the adapter was working great, is it possible that the magic lantern .FIR install fried something in the CF adapter? it works great on a standard 5D, but it is not recognized by my camera with boot flag anymore.

Roberto Mena

I agree with Walter Schulz, I work at a university where we check out a/v equipment and people using micro SD cards with SD adapters have always had issues shooting video with our Canon T3i and T5i DSLR cameras with their regular, native, h.264 video codecs and ML is way more demanding. Just get the proper fast CF cards they work like a charm for my 7D shooting MLV RAW video.