Disable Error Logs

Started by Lobster148, March 10, 2021, 12:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobster148

Hi,

I have a lens that works however a flex cable inside is creased. All functions of the lens work, but Error 01 is shown whenever I press the shutter on 60D. Is there any possible way to remove the error message all together and shoot normally? If not, is there any possibility to disable the beep and error logs so the error message is sped up and doesn't delay the shoot any longer?

I would really like to use this lens for a shoot coming up in a week, so if anyone knows a good solution, please let me know!!

Thanks

Walter Schulz

You can use the lens twisted in the mount (= no contact to cam) or use tape to isolate contacts. You will be restricted to shoot wide open.
For some lenses you will find instructions how to replace a broken cable. If you want to have full functionality you have to repair it. Or have it repaired.

garry23

QuoteYou will be restricted to shoot wide open

If you can still change the aperture you can use the lens twist to lock in an aperture, ie you may not have to shoot wide open.

Worth trying.

Walter Schulz

A Tamron lens gave me a hard time after doing this. Used it in reverse mount for macro shots. Camera throwed errors all the way until I found a way to mount it again using the same aperture setting in camera and some twisting with DOF button.

Lobster148

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the replies!! I found the twist method online as well, however I require the autofocus because im doing event shooting. Is there any other way to get around that?

a1ex

Lens errors, at least on DIGIC <= 5, come from the MPU. We don't know how to suppress them yet - I tried to work around ERR20 several years ago, but it didn't work.

I happen to have a faulty lens that also gives ERR01 and only works wide-open - so I took a quick look. Apparently, the MPU message related to this error is:

*** mpu_recv(06 05 03 29 01 00), from ff1bf420                     ; PROP 80030023
PropMgr:ff01300c:8b:16: DispError 1 ERROR Time 2020/11/10 13:42:40

The 60D appears to ignore ERR01 and continue shooting after half-shutter press, but the 5D3 does not. So, at least on 60D, it might be possible to somehow block that MPU message in order to block the error. However, I had no success doing that - display goes black and camera becomes unresponsive, but background tasks are still working.

Disabling the error logs saved by ML is straightforward, but won't help much, as these logs are saved in background, without delaying normal operation. Feel free to edit the source code (debug.c, ErrForCamera_handler) and customize it as needed.

Edit: after pressing half-shutter on the ERR01 dialog, what happens is that camera actually reboots. As such, ignoring this error must be done on the MPU side - possibly by reprogramming it. Short answer becomes: not possible to ignore this error.

The only workaround I can think of, is to use the camera without ML, so the camera can reboot as fast as possible...